Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Regardless if it jumped in nature or jumped in a lab the timing is all the same unless you think it was intentional and we would still have to answer the ideological question did God cause it to happen or allow it to happen. Which still goes back to the point that it happened at the same time in history that man had the knowledge to create, mass produce, mass inform and mass distribute a truly miraculous vaccine. This doesn’t even address the time period to work and learn from home. Or the ability to bank and commerce from our couch or toilet.

What if the virus had jumped 10 yrs ago? 20? 30? There would have been much more death and economic/social chaos.

Not every post has to have a political or conspiratorial bent.
Didn't really intend to go all conspiracy, I don't think it was intentional.

But I do think it was man made and it kind of bothers me that matter has been so dismissed. It also bothers me that we were funding research around this dangerous, and potentially weaponized, virus with China. If it's too dangerous to do here it's too dangerous to fund China to do it for us.

My wife and I have discussed how devastating this would have been even 2 decades ago. There were trends towards more work at home, shop at home type things that this has accelerated. I agree it is much less impactful now that it would have been.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
[QUOTE="cableok, post: 4295775, member: 1486"]I think the definition of "fully vaccinated" will change. Am traveling again internationally in March so to be pro-active I got my booster yesterday. Once Moderna was approved, I got on CVS.com and it was pretty easy to schedule with your local CVS. Just need: vaccine card, ID, and insurance card
.[/QUOTE]
I'm convinced it will, as will other definitions and "medical conclusions".

Dec 9, 2013
ngerous, and potentially

Didn't really intend to go all conspiracy, I don't think it was intentional.

But I do think it was man made and it kind of bothers me that matter has been so dismissed. It also bothers me that we were funding research around this dangerous, and potentially weaponized, virus with China. If it's too dangerous to do here it's too dangerous to fund China to do it for us.

My wife and I have discussed how devastating this would have been even 2 decades ago. There were trends towards more work at home, shop at home type things that this has accelerated. I agree it is much less impactful now that it would have been.
Good points. I just don’t know enough about research to say definitely where I think it originated. And I know I won’t listen to any media source or Congress person

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Good points. I just don’t know enough about research to say definitely where I think it originated. And I know I won’t listen to any media source or Congress person
That's the rub, who do you listen to then? Ultimately we all want a source for information and we've all gotten to be, rightfully, distrustful of all our sources.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
So now with the animal testing stories coming out and everyone getting animals during the pandemic, this happened. THIS VIDEO SHOWS MEDICAL TESTING AND DEATH. WATCH AT OWN DISCRETION. Whomever wants Fauci out, might have a shot with this one. People getting fired up.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GillianMcKeith/status/1452364258356961284?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1452364258356961284%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.godlikeproductions.com%2Fforum1%2Fmessage4941907%2Fpg1

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
New infections drop more than 50% nationwide

New coronavirus infections are down 56.8% nationwide since the delta variant surge peaked in the first week of September, a USA TODAY analysis of Johns Hopkins University data shows.

Cases are down in every region – the South, in the Mid-Atlantic, most of New England, the Midwest, the West. Some of the states hit hardest in the delta wave – Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, South Carolina and Tennessee – are reporting cases at a rate about one-sixth of where they were less than two months ago. Arkansas and Louisiana cases have fallen by more than three-quarters since then, too.
Oklahoma is at a 7-day average of 551 which is where we were in mid-July.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
In certain respects isn’t the thought process similar to that of the flu vaccine? Each yr we have to get a flu shot. I think in part bc the flu virus changes. The flu is somewhat seasonal. And the vaccine efficacy wanes over time.
Outside of healthcare workers, no one HAS to get the flu shot.

So if I have to take a shot every 6 mos to stay out of the hospital, keep others from gettting CoVid from me and not burdening the healthcare workers I’ll gladly take one of my dr says it does those things.
While the vaccine is effective in lessening the symptoms of covid, it's clear now that it does not prevent you from getting covid. Also, the vaccine/booster does not "keep others from getting CoVid from" you.

We have been handed a miracle thru science and technology. Is it by divine providence that a virus that has been around for who knows how long finally jumped to mankind at the precise time we have the technology to create, mass produce, inform and mass distribute a vaccine that is over 90% effective at prevention and even higher at preventing serious illness and death?

This is one reason I don’t get certain “people of religion” not taking the vaccine. If you are a person of faith how can you not look at what transpired and not see God’s hand in delivering mankind from this virus. If you are a person that marvels at science and technology how can you not be awestruck that we accomplished this.
100% agree! I understand the science behind the mRNA vaccine and am marveled by it... awestruck actually... it's a medical game-changer. I am absolutely pro-vax... but I am anti-vax mandate. And I'm very much on the fence about the necessity of the booster (especially for those who are healthy, have no comorbidities, and have hybrid immunity). It should be left as a personal choice.

If you have questions about the booster or antibodies, please do your research. That’s important. But it is not as important as consulting w that knowledge w your drs and healthcare providers. Please get w them before making any decision to take or not to take a booster or initial doses.

And no. Watching YouTube videos w the Gynecologist does not count.
Yessir. 20+ years of experience in the biopharmaceutical industry overseeing the production of monoclonal antibodies and now working in cell and gene therapy. I know how to research for myself. And I also know how invaluable a consult with a physician is. Personally, my physician hasn't recommended the booster nor am I aware if he himself has taken it yet.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
In certain respects isn’t the thought process similar to that of the flu vaccine? Each yr we have to get a flu shot. I think in part bc the flu virus changes. The flu is somewhat seasonal. And the vaccine efficacy wanes over time.
Outside of healthcare workers, no one HAS to get the flu shot.

So if I have to take a shot every 6 mos to stay out of the hospital, keep others from gettting CoVid from me and not burdening the healthcare workers I’ll gladly take one of my dr says it does those things.
While the vaccine is effective in lessening the symptoms of covid, it's clear now that it does not prevent you from getting covid. Also, the vaccine/booster does not "keep others from getting CoVid from" you.

We have been handed a miracle thru science and technology. Is it by divine providence that a virus that has been around for who knows how long finally jumped to mankind at the precise time we have the technology to create, mass produce, inform and mass distribute a vaccine that is over 90% effective at prevention and even higher at preventing serious illness and death?

This is one reason I don’t get certain “people of religion” not taking the vaccine. If you are a person of faith how can you not look at what transpired and not see God’s hand in delivering mankind from this virus. If you are a person that marvels at science and technology how can you not be awestruck that we accomplished this.
100% agree! I understand the science behind the mRNA vaccine and am marveled by it... awestruck actually... it's a medical game-changer. I am absolutely pro-vax... but I am anti-vax mandate. And I'm very much on the fence about the necessity of the booster (especially for those who are healthy, have no comorbidities, and have hybrid immunity). It should be left as a personal choice.

If you have questions about the booster or antibodies, please do your research. That’s important. But it is not as important as consulting w that knowledge w your drs and healthcare providers. Please get w them before making any decision to take or not to take a booster or initial doses.

And no. Watching YouTube videos w the Gynecologist does not count.
Yessir. 20+ years of experience in the biopharmaceutical industry overseeing the production of monoclonal antibodies and now working in cell and gene therapy. I know how to research for myself. And I also know how invaluable a consult with a physician is. Personally, my physician hasn't recommended the booster nor am I aware if he himself has taken it yet.
For someone with such experience you have said much here that is wrong.

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask

Mar 11, 2006

What has he said the is factually inaccurate? Being against a vaccine mandate is an opinion.

@kaboy42 stated he was hesitant to get the "booster" not the initial vaccine. Obviously, I don't share that thought as I got my booster Sunday --- but as recently as early September there were several medical officials questioning the need for a booster. While I may not agree with his thinking about the booster --- I don't think it is out of line.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007

You know I am always open for conversation and it doesn't hurt my feelings one bit to be corrected.

Was it my "the vaccine is effective in lessening the symptoms of covid, it's clear now that it does not prevent you from getting covid" statement?

If so, I'll clarify... The vaccine is very effective at keeping you from possibly getting the virus, and if you do, it lessens the severity of the symptoms. But just like the flu vaccine, it's not a guarantee that a vaccinated person can't still acquire the virus.

I actually know quite a few vaccinated people that tested positive for covid this last big surge. All were 100% completely asymptomatic... but they still had covid.

Unless they were all false positives.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
What has he said the is factually inaccurate? Being against a vaccine mandate is an opinion.

@kaboy42 stated he was hesitant to get the "booster" not the initial vaccine. Obviously, I don't share that thought as I got my booster Sunday --- but as recently as early September there were several medical officials questioning the need for a booster. While I may not agree with his thinking about the booster --- I don't think it is out of line.
If I was older, or if I had any of the pre-existing conditions, I'd definitely have a different opinion.

I'm one of those that doesn't get the flu vaccine every year. Honestly I've only gotten it twice my entire life and one of those two times I still got the flu.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
You know I am always open for conversation and it doesn't hurt my feelings one bit to be corrected.

Was it my "the vaccine is effective in lessening the symptoms of covid, it's clear now that it does not prevent you from getting covid" statement?

If so, I'll clarify... The vaccine is very effective at keeping you from possibly getting the virus, and if you do, it lessens the severity of the symptoms. But just like the flu vaccine, it's not a guarantee that a vaccinated person can't still acquire the virus.

I actually know quite a few vaccinated people that tested positive for covid this last big surge. All were 100% completely asymptomatic... but they still had covid.

Unless they were all false positives.
The only thing I'd really quibble with jere is to put more emphasis on the vaccine reducing the likelihood of transmission and it does it a few different ways. First, no vaccine prevents a virus from entering your body. For respiratory viruses, that means you could theoretically test positive but be at an absurdly low risk of transmission. You could also have a vaccine that just reduces transmission by reducing the upper end of viral load and shortening infectious periods. That's what this vaccine does. So, it doesn't "keep you from getting it" in the sense that the virus still enters your airways and replicated a bit before your immune system eliminates it, but it does reduce the likelihood of you passing it along and reduces the number of people you'd pass it on to. It's about degrees of protection and prevention rather than absolutes.

Dec 9, 2013
If I was older, or if I had any of the pre-existing conditions, I'd definitely have a different opinion.

I'm one of those that doesn't get the flu vaccine every year. Honestly I've only gotten it twice my entire life and one of those two times I still got the flu.
You seem like a well intentioned and reasonable person. You obviously take pride in your health. Do you think you could possibly influence other people in your circles that don’t take care of themselves to get the booster if you went ahead and got yours?

Also, if you do think the protection wanes what do you think the risks are for getting the booster?