Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
The reason I don't like this, is that it doesn't only "punish" the politician. You are also disrupting the outings of regular people. These aren't even necessarily people affected by that politician. They could be visitors to the city even.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
They’ll join the mob too as soon as they realize one of “them” is near by

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
The reason I don't like this, is that it doesn't only "punish" the politician. You are also disrupting the outings of regular people. These aren't even necessarily people affected by that politician. They could be visitors to the city even.

They’ll join the mob too as soon as they realize one of “them” is near by
Doubt it.

Sep 22, 2011
https://twitter.com/KOCODillon/status/1483281146855231489?t=MpzpCwTIpDUAl3iT4J8z-Q&s=19
honestly I think the schools are doing the best they can at this point, we are just going to have to deal with some closures for a few weeks as omicron does its thing. should be back to normal next week

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
None of that negates that Joe Rogan routinely brings on guests who spread misinformation and Joe often does himself. Your original response to that was that an anesthesiologist said IVM should be looked into, which at a minimum suggests that it isn't. Since we can agree that's not accurate, the anesthesiologist is spreading misinformation. Just because you view a public official with heavy skepticism, that doesn't give you license to spread misinformation, especially if you have to tools to avoid it. If anything, you have a responsibility to do better not worse or the same in the opposite direction.
Correct, my comment wasn't that you're responding to has nothing to do with Joe Rogan. I don't follow his podcast or really know who he's had on or not.

I do get a kick of you guys in the 'MISINFORMATION!!!' crowd though. Many of you appear so worried about that that you're apparently blind as to why there's an audience for misinformation.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Correct, my comment wasn't that you're responding to has nothing to do with Joe Rogan. I don't follow his podcast or really know who he's had on or not.

I do get a kick of you guys in the 'MISINFORMATION!!!' crowd though. Many of you appear so worried about that that you're apparently blind as to why there's an audience for misinformation.
I misinterpreted your first reply as being about a Joe Rogan guest, since he has had several who make the argument about IVM needing to be looked at.

My stance this whole time has only been that Joe Rogan's guests do frequently traffic in misinformation, nothing more. Even said he shouldn't be taken off spotify, and yet you somehow put me in a crowd that's panicked about misinformation? If I do come across it, all I try to do is explain why it's misinformation. I don't call people names. I don't get angry. I don't lump everyone into boxes. If you feel like that's not true, then I apologize. I do get why people buy misinformation which is why I go for the approach outlined above. Science is complicated. Politics suck. Everyone has been wrong in some massive way over the last two years. The pandemic intrudes on our lives whether we like it or not. Simple answers with someone to blame are always appealing to all of us, myself included, and even better if those simple answers conform to our prior worldviews. My default disposition is to think most people are just doing their best to wade through all of that. That's also why I use pretty tame language, like not assuming nefarious motives or saying that they're "lying".

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I misinterpreted your first reply as being about a Joe Rogan guest, since he has had several who make the argument about IVM needing to be looked at.

My stance this whole time has only been that Joe Rogan's guests do frequently traffic in misinformation, nothing more. Even said he shouldn't be taken off spotify, and yet you somehow put me in a crowd that's panicked about misinformation? If I do come across it, all I try to do is explain why it's misinformation. I don't call people names. I don't get angry. I don't lump everyone into boxes. If you feel like that's not true, then I apologize. I do get why people buy misinformation which is why I go for the approach outlined above. Science is complicated. Politics suck. Everyone has been wrong in some massive way over the last two years. The pandemic intrudes on our lives whether we like it or not. Simple answers with someone to blame are always appealing to all of us, myself included, and even better if those simple answers conform to our prior worldviews. My default disposition is to think most people are just doing their best to wade through all of that. That's also why I use pretty tame language, like not assuming nefarious motives or saying that they're "lying".
Fair enough, sorry if I unfairly lumped you into a crowd you're not a part of.

I think you'd probably agree that our reactions to COVID have brought about a very odd sociological time in our country, and the world.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007

In many cases it's the owner of the business posting the photo.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
1642523278818.png

Hillcrest updated their graphic yesterday...still less folks in ICU with Covid than at the highest point of the pandemic. A few are vaccinated now, but most are clearly still among the unvaccinated in both the hospital and ICU. To end the problems associated with the pandemic we need to reduce hospitalizations and ICU use by Covid patients...the best ways to do this are vaccines and therapeutics.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
View attachment 94192
Hillcrest updated their graphic yesterday...still less folks in ICU with Covid than at the highest point of the pandemic. A few are vaccinated now, but most are clearly still among the unvaccinated in both the hospital and ICU. To end the problems associated with the pandemic we need to reduce hospitalizations and ICU use by Covid patients...the best ways to do this are vaccines and therapeutics.

So two years into this, how are they defining 'COVID-19 patients?' If it's still people admitted for something else, then found to have COVID, it's misleading and useless.

We have 13 patients with COVID today. 2 were admitted for COVID.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
So two years into this, how are they defining 'COVID-19 patients?' If it's still people admitted for something else, then found to have COVID, it's misleading and useless.

yeah...step 1 of this should have been to create universal standards of definitions for terms and tracking guidelines of how to report data across the entire 50 states and territories and set up valid matrix values that need to be reported on.

But that never happened so we have 1,000 of different metrics states, cities, counties, media, politicians, Dr's, Joe Blow Facebook poster etc etc etc etc etc etc all try to use.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC

For whatever it's worth, I think they should specify, but hospitalizations with COVID should still count because they reduce capacity because of all of the additional precautions they require. Hospital capacity and provider burnout are our biggest obstacles right now.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
For whatever it's worth, I think they should specify, but hospitalizations with COVID should still count because they reduce capacity because of all of the additional precautions they require. Hospital capacity and provider burnout are our biggest obstacles right now.
How so? The COVID positive patient I scanned yesterday who was admitted for sepsis doesn't occupy any more capacity than she did when admitted. Yes, additional PPE is involved, but her presence is because of her sepsis.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I assume that Covid is either THE reason or a contributor to the reason the person is hospitalized. From my sources in ER it's mostly, THE reason. Look we all want covid to be over...we all want to move on with our lives...we are all hopeful this is the last major spike and that we don't get other variants that are even more of an issue. We just have to do the things that prevent hospitalization...What are those things?

That's up to the folks out there to decide. All they can do is look at facts...I'm just providing a few.

Last edited:

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I assume that Covid is either THE reason or a contributor to the reason the person is hospitalized. From my sources in ER it's mostly, it's THE reason. Look we all want covid to be over...we all want to move on with our lives...we are all hopeful this is the last major spike and that we don't get other variants that are even more of an issue. We just have to do the things that prevent hospitalization...What are those things?

That's up to the folks out there to decide. All they can do is look at facts...I'm just providing a few.
When a Dr. sends a patient to our ED for low back pain and during the workup the patients states a runny nose, so a test is run and they come up positive, COVID is neither THE reason nor a contributor.

The example I provided earlier is a morbidly obese woman with multiple comorbidities who's been an inpatient with us 5 times now in the last 9 months. FIrst time she's tested positive, and is not symptomatic at all. Labeling her as a COVID inpatient misses the mark, to say the least, and is a bad reporting metric.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
When a Dr. sends a patient to our ED for low back pain and during the workup the patients states a runny nose, so a test is run and they come up positive, COVID is neither THE reason nor a contributor.

The example I provided earlier is a morbidly obese woman with multiple comorbidities who's been an inpatient with us 5 times now in the last 9 months. FIrst time she's tested positive, and is not symptomatic at all. Labeling her as a COVID inpatient misses the mark, to say the least, and is a bad reporting metric.
Even IF any of what you just said is the case...The real covid numbers of hospitalized patients are still indicated in the graphic. What does the graphics tell you? My understanding is that over 60% of Oklahoma is vaccinated...YET the covid patients who are in the hospital without the vaccine FAR outweigh the number who are in the hospital with it...what does that tell you? REGARDLESS of the point you are trying to make??

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Even IF any of what you just said is the case...The real covid numbers of hospitalized patients are still indicated in the graphic. What does the graphics tell you? My understanding is that over 60% of Oklahoma is vaccinated...YET the covid patients who are in the hospital without the vaccine FAR outweigh the number who are in the hospital with it...what does that tell you? REGARDLESS of the point you are trying to make??

As I've said numerous times, the vaccines clearly work to lessen the effects. Who's even arguing about how vaxxed vs. non-vaxxed are doing? I"m not, so you have no point there at all.

You're off on some tangent that has nothing to do with what I said.

You apparently can't grasp the simple concept of someone being hospitalized for COVID vs. someone hospitalized for something altogether different who's COVID positive. If they report a sniffle or any little symptom, we test them, to protect our staff genius.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Gov Stitt just announced an Emergency EO to allow employee of Oklahoma State Agencies to fill in as substitute teachers.

How will this help our kids ?

https://twitter.com/KOCODillon/status/1483523485485846531