Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
No one is dating these teachers are ready to replace. They are saying it needs to be easier during this emergency, to find someone to stand in temporarily.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
but the state of Oklahoma isn't in a state of Emergency? The only Emergency issued by the Gov in 2021 was for the Feb Winter Storms.

A state of Emergency for COVID hasn't been issued in a LONG time in Oklahoma and the State Dept of Emergency Management for COVID hasn't been updated since AUGUST.
https://oklahoma.gov/oem.html
View attachment 94259
According to soonercare we are in one and it ends on March 31st. At least that's what the automated phone call about my kids well child checks said.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
No one is dating these teachers are ready to replace. They are saying it needs to be easier during this emergency, to find someone to stand in temporarily.

but the state of Oklahoma isn't in a state of Emergency? The only Emergency issued by the Gov in 2021 was for the Feb Winter Storms.

A state of Emergency for COVID hasn't been issued in a LONG time in Oklahoma and the State Dept of Emergency Management for COVID hasn't been updated since AUGUST.
https://oklahoma.gov/oem.html
View attachment 94259
And even if we aren't in a state of emergency officially, we are in an emergency staffing situation regarding the schools.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
In restaurants with their families trying to eat? With other people trying to eat around them?
I think basic common decency should prevail and you shouldn't accost people you don't like in situations like that.

I don't think they accosted them, just took their picture. They were in violation in some of those instances of the law that they helped get passed.

If there aren't pictures, didn't happen, right?

Wasn't that the case in one of these with the restaurant owner? The elected official helped pass the law but then violated the law in his restaurant?

Should we stop holding elected officials accountable for the laws they pass?
Ok. Maybe we are talking about different things? I'm talking about when groups follow politicians into restaurants and approach them at their tables and yell at them to be kicked out because they are "fill in the blank with whatever".
Like Peta people screaming murderer at politicians that support the cow/pig/chicken industries.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Ok. Maybe we are talking about different things? I'm talking about when groups follow politicians into restaurants and approach them at their tables and yell at them to be kicked out because they are "fill in the blank with whatever".
Like Peta people screaming murderer at politicians that support the cow/pig/chicken industries.

You have me confused with Democrats. I don't encourage such behavior.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/25/politics/maxine-waters-trump-officials/index.html

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

You have me confused with Democrats. I don't encourage such behavior.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/25/politics/maxine-waters-trump-officials/index.html
It sounded like that was what you were talking about. If not, then I back out of this conversation.
Have a nice day.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Oct 29, 2016
US
The number of scientifically illiterate adults in the US, is shockingly high. If one believes in a god and/or has a religion, fine. They're absolutely free to do so. But, don't be an idiot. The past few years has exposed the absurdness of those who are scientifically illiterate/oppose science. Until people start using their brain, this country is doomed

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
The number of scientifically illiterate adults in the US, is shockingly high. If one believes in a god and/or has a religion, fine. They're absolutely free to do so. But, don't be an idiot. The past few years has exposed the absurdness of those who are scientifically illiterate/oppose science. Until people start using their brain, this country is doomed
It's one thing to be scientifically illiterate. It's another to write governmental policy based on that scientific illiteracy...

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Hey, by the way I know some people who don't believe in God who some would call idiots. I also know some great scientists who are in church every Sunday.

Pretty absurd comment.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Hey, by the way I know some people who don't believe in God who some would call idiots. I also know some great scientists who are in church every Sunday.

Pretty absurd comment.
Although I'm sure many conservatives aren't a huge fan of his at the moment, Francis Collins is evangelical. He also happens to be the director of NIH and would wipe the floor with anyone on this board when it comes to scientific literacy.

I'm agnostic, but I know and respect several fantastic scientists and researchers who are people of faith.

Mar 11, 2006
One of the best discussions I have seen about COVID recently. Bill Mahar and Bari Weiss talk logic. But it is logic that many people have known for awhile, but was almost criminal to say/admit.
https://twitter.com/clintolsen/status/1484808734442352643?s=21

https://twitter.com/claytravis/status/1484868809416753153?s=21

And a great point by Rep Torres looking at the response in a different way. Great discussion.
https://twitter.com/embodiedsacred/status/1484769683471409153?s=21

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It's shockingly absurd how many people make assumptions and prejudice about their fellow citizens whose core belief system they may happen to disagree with. Faith is needed for advanced science just as it is for advanced faith. This is the fiber that has held together western civilization for 1,000's of years. Tons of scientist have been shaped by their faith, nearly as many as have had their faith shaped by science. Oh, and I'm not "just" talking about Christians. Jews and Muslims come to mind as world religions who have contributed a great deal to scientific advancement over the centuries. These things are not mutually exclusive.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Although I'm sure many conservatives aren't a huge fan of his at the moment, Francis Collins is evangelical. He also happens to be the director of NIH and would wipe the floor with anyone on this board when it comes to scientific literacy.

I'm agnostic, but I know and respect several fantastic scientists and researchers who are people of faith.
I like your post, but I think many are falling into a trap of seeing all conservatives the same...We are as different as the day is long...just as are liberals. The left's mantra that Republicans are anti science is a prejudice based on a few loud voices while ignoring the many quiet ones.

Last edited:

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007

What if I replaced your comment "The number of scientifically illiterate adults in the US, is shockingly high. If one believes in a god and/or has a religion, fine. They're absolutely free to do so. But, don't be an idiot." with some other group....

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
One of the best discussions I have seen about COVID recently. Bill Mahar and Bari Weiss talk logic. But it is logic that many people have known for awhile, but was almost criminal to say/admit.
https://twitter.com/clintolsen/status/1484808734442352643?s=21

https://twitter.com/claytravis/status/1484868809416753153?s=21

And a great point by Rep Torres looking at the response in a different way. Great discussion.
https://twitter.com/embodiedsacred/status/1484769683471409153?s=21
When discussing this, I wish people would quit using the word "stop" and start being realistic and using the words "limit" or "improve." A door lock doesn't stop crime. A walker doesn't stop an unsteady person from falling. And, no, the vaccines do not stop people from getting or spreading COVID, particularly omicron. But, they can still limit it at various rates depending on the particular vaccine, the number of doses and timing of doses, and the presence or absence of prior infection.

So, while the argument for the vaccine to protect other people isn't nearly as strong as it originally was, it currently has not evolved to "it's just about you" as Maher claims either.

As is attributed to Einstein:
"In every field of inquiry, it is true that all things should be made as simple as possible – but no simpler."