Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
French police search homes of top officials in virus probe

https://apnews.com/article/virus-ou...ard-philippe-28edd1cf750ba5c6bdf7d31490bca7b0

French police searched the homes of the health minister, the former prime minister and other top officials Thursday in an investigation into the government’s response to the global coronavirus pandemic.

The dawn searches, confirmed by the Health Ministry, come as France is fighting against a resurgent epidemic that has now filled a third of the country’s intensive care units with COVID-19 patients and is again putting Europe to the test. President Emmanuel Macron announced curfews on around 20 million people in the Paris region and eight other French metropolitan areas starting Friday night to try to slow the tide.

The investigation threatens to rekindle public frustration with a government that’s been accused of lying to the public about mask stocks, underestimating testing needs and overestimating France’s ability to vanquish the pandemic — not once, but now twice.

About 1,000 protesting nurses, doctors and other public hospital staff marched through Paris on Thursday to demand more investment, staff and higher salaries after years of cost cuts.

“We are tired!” read multiple banners.

The searches “will make the people’s mistrust grow,” said Dr. Ludovic Toro, who was among the doctors, COVID-19 patients, prison personnel, police officers and others who filed more than 90 legal complaints in the spring over the government’s management of the pandemic.

A special French court for prosecuting government ministers ordered an investigation as a result of their complaints.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
What I posted earlier proved that but some of you chose to ignore it because it wasn't new enough info. As the conversation transitioned to what's happening now, I pointed out how much better Sweden is doing now to discuss other countries approaches. I didn't think it was that hard to follow for an academic like yourself. My fault.
It didn't prove it, because we've added data since then which disproves it. You can't just choose a point at an earlier time and say "aha, there it is!" I mean, at one point, this virus was only in Wuhan. That proves that it only infects communists! It is shooting an arrow into the barn and drawing a bullseye around it.

Jan 14, 2006
It didn't prove it, because we've added data since then which disproves it. You can't just choose a point at an earlier time and say "aha, there it is!" I mean, at one point, this virus was only in Wuhan. That proves that it only infects communists! It is shooting an arrow into the barn and drawing a bullseye around it.
So, is Sweden not experiencing very low death rates since July while everyone else continues at higher levels?

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
So, is Sweden not experiencing very low death rates since July while everyone else continues at higher levels?
and on Aug 31st Sweden Govt said

Sweden is seeing a spike in demand for face masks, several drug stores said, ahead of a possible U-turn by the authorities, who have so far doubted their effectiveness in fighting the spread of the new coronavirus.

Unlike most other European countries, Sweden has kept many businesses, restaurants and most schools open, while not recommending the use of face masks, which are very common in Denmark, Norway and Finland.

But after the public health agency (FHM) said two weeks ago that it may issue new recommendations, Swedes appear to be stockpiling.

Face mask sales at online pharmacist Apotea have increased to around 400,000 units a week in the past two to three weeks from 150,000 in previous weeks, CEO Par Svardson said.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
If I were hospitalized today with COVID-19 I would want to get remdesivir.

High-flow oxygen, proning patients, and not putting patients immediately on mechanical vent has reduced deaths.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but drug with strongest evidence among hospitalized patients is dexamethasone/similar steroids. Multiple, large scale RCTs pointing to effectiveness, but only among those needing hospitalization. Right?

Eli Lilley's press release had some game changing numbers, but we'll see if full report bears that out.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1317174229280780288

Anika Chebrolu, a 14-year-old freshman at Independence High School in Frisco, is being hailed as the country's top young scientist ... and she won $25,000 for her potential coronavirus breakthrough.
Anika won the 3M Young Scientist Challenge for her hard work identifying a potential drug to treat COVID-19. The brilliant student says she developed -- while in the 8th grade -- a molecule that binds to a protein on the SARS-CoV-2 virus, and essentially stops the virus from functioning. A brilliant discovery for an adult, much less a kid.
This part will blow your mind, unless you're a scientist -- Anika says she started with a database of over 682 million compounds and used a few computer programs to figure out how and where the molecule would bind to the virus.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Correct me if I'm wrong, but drug with strongest evidence among hospitalized patients is dexamethasone/similar steroids. Multiple, large scale RCTs pointing to effectiveness, but only among those needing hospitalization. Right?

Eli Lilley's press release had some game changing numbers, but we'll see if full report bears that out.
Dexamethasone, but not other corticosteroids. Of the corticosteroids dex is the least mineralocorticoid which means it causes the least sodium and fluid retention. Turns out fluid retention in COVID-19 patients is... bad. Lungs fill with fluid, oxygenation goes down, pretty much opposite the effect you want. The early studies with methylprednisolone, which is by far and away the most commonly used corticosteroid, showed negative results. I don't know who thought of using dex, but it was a smart choice.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Which has exactly what to do with red states/counties/regions and blue states/counties/regions?

And, no, what you're saying isn't true. Pay careful, close attention to the scale when comparing Sweden to its closest neighbors, Norway, Finland, and Denmark.

Sweden
1602876479308.png

1602876598008.png

1602876626013.png

1602876648652.png

Jan 14, 2006
Which has exactly what to do with red states/counties/regions and blue states/counties/regions?

And, no, what you're saying isn't true. Pay careful, close attention to the scale when comparing Sweden to its closest neighbors, Norway, Finland, and Denmark.

Sweden
View attachment 86341

View attachment 86345
View attachment 86346
View attachment 86347
They look exactly the same. I'm not sure what to read into that. Did Sweden's response cause all of Scandinavia to achieve herd immunity? Does lock down vs non lock down really matter?

Thanks for sharing that. If anything it proves that there is no correct answer. I still think we should focus all of our efforts on protecting the elderly, obese and otherwise at risk while everyone else goes mostly back to normal but I'm just another dumbass on the internet.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
https://twitter.com/yinonw/status/1317165152928555008?s=21
Once again, this person has absolutely no understanding of the concept of "herd immunity." "Herd immunity" is the level of immunity in a population which is required to protect the most vulnerable individuals in the herd. It is not the baseline antibody levels of the virus left unchecked in the population. What the 15-20% means is that there is a sub-population that becomes infected that develops lasting immunity, while the rest do not. Exactly how large or how small that subpopulation is we still do not know.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
Sweden Govt called their COVID response a failure and have opened an investigation into it

Sweden is 91st in population size and 14th in deaths per capita
They called it a failure when everyone was criticizing them.....the longer this goes the better it looks