Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mandates dont usually work, not if the people dont listen to them. We arent very good at it. It seems like everytime i go to walmart or some other indoor place, there's always some gumps who refuse to wear 'em and they are eyeballing everyone just daring them to say something about it.
We went six weeks or so in Stillwater with zero cases. That was back in the spring with no mask mandate. That tells us right there this disease is not spreading in Walmart. How do we go that long without a new case?

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
We went six weeks or so in Stillwater with zero cases. That was back in the spring with no mask mandate. That tells us right there this disease is not spreading in Walmart. How do we go that long without a new case?
Either an issue with testing, or good luck. But there is no correlation to mask mandates causing cases to go up. Anecdotal cases like that in stillwater cant be duplicated everywhere or in most places. Almost everywhere they (mandates)have had a more positive impact around the globe and those results are usually replicated in other places. At least that's what charts show in areas with mandates vs those with none.

Sep 12, 2008
Are there less mask mandates going on in the USA than there were six months ago? If not, how can explain the explosion of cases. Is this really pandemic fatigue>

Sometimes I think masks make people take more risk than they otherwise would.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
One of the things that amazes me is how far behind in testing many of the large European countries are at this point when compared to the US (40%).
France 22%
Italy 24%
Germany 24%
Netherlands 17%

Belgium and UK are at 40% or higher and Spain is 36%. Some of the smaller Euro countries are under 15% in testing.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Yet the Oklahoma Dept. of Health reports that of all Covid-19 positive cases the death rate is only 1.06%.
Dr. Dart in Tulsa said the other day that Tulsa area hospitals are "in good shape" and handling this well...and he's been pretty straight forward. Maybe this has changed in the past four days? That was last week but it seems to contradict the ER doctor Binman's getting information from. Certainly we need to be careful and wise. Binman, you live in El Reno, right? Weird that they aren't making people wear mask in Walmart...Unless things have changed big time, when I go to Walmart's in Tulsa EVERYONE has mask on...if they don't they aren't allowed in the store and if seen without one they are asked to put it back on. Same for everywhere in Tulsa...except at my work's downtown office where they seem to think there is no virus...but it's a huge office with limited staff. My actually office is in a hospital so obviously we are all about mask, social distance, hand scrubbing, and all the other covid prevention tactics.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Mortality for all of the US is currently at 2.6% for COVID. Freaking Mexico is at 10%!

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality
Binman...its hard to compare rates of death from place to place in the US. First of all number of "cases" are dependent upon the type of tests used in each state used in their reports. Some tests are more sensitive and specific than others. Secondly it depends upon the number of the total population in each state that was tested (in Oklahoma for example the larger the nunber tested who do not have the virus, the lower the mortality rate and visa versa). Thirdly, the cause of death is often difficult to determine. A person who tests positive may or may not have died from the virus. Finally very few autopsies are done to help determine the cause of death.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Btw, GOOD NEWS, OSU Athletics had ZERO new cases today. These kids are doing an awesome job of being very careful! I think that the leadership within the team is doing a great job. In fact, these kids may become great leaders in the future due to this experience. Just figure with all the bad Covid news it's good to have some good news and to praise the people responsible at OSU for it.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
Is anyone surprised by this most recent big outbreak and it's mass media publication driving it home one week prior to the PTUS election in the most powerful nation on Earth? Honestly people...really.:facepalm:
This is a stupid comment.

Do really think multiple European countries would shut down just to affect US elections?:derp:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
This is a stupid comment.

Do really think multiple European countries would shut down just to affect US elections?:derp:
That's not what I said...I said mass media driving bad news home to effect political elections has been a thing since the beginning of the 11th/12th biggest pandemic in history (IF you believe the numbers). They have made it FAR bigger than it should be while downplay things like 1,000 black children aborted DAILY. My point is that it's over the top in its media driven narrative to scare people and to affect elections. It's real, but the mass media have made it Godlike in it's attention. My having a different opinion than you isn't "stupid," nor was my comment.

Btw, Amy Coney Barret is confirmed...God Bless America!
1603758724820.png

Last edited:

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
That's not what I said...I said mass media driving bad news home to effect political elections has been a thing since the beginning of the 11th/12th biggest pandemic in history (IF you believe the numbers). They have made it FAR bigger than it should be while downplay things like 1,000 black children aborted DAILY. My point is that it's over the top in its media driven narrative to scare people and to affect elections. It's real, but the mass media have made it Godlike in it's attention. My having a different opinion than you isn't "stupid," nor was my comment.

Btw, Amy Coney Barret is confirmed...God Bless America!
View attachment 86605
That isn't what the post that was quoted said in the least. You made a dumb argument that media and other shutdowns were to impact "the most powerful nation on earth". That is a conspiracy level accusation and requires extraordinary evidence.

We both know you don't have any and owning things isn't your thing. Which is why you posted this deflection. Yawn.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
That isn't what the post that was quoted said in the least. You made a dumb argument that media and other shutdowns were to impact "the most powerful nation on earth". That is a conspiracy level accusation and requires extraordinary evidence.

We both know you don't have any and owning things isn't your thing. Which is why you posted this deflection. Yawn.
I own the fact that the media trumps up covid daily and a huge motivation is to defeat the POTUS. I also own the fact that many other nations don't like Trump so who knows what they will do.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
So a couple of things don't quite compute. I've been hearing all day every day that masks are critical to fighting the woo. The director of the CDC said masks may offer more protection against Covid than a vaccine.

Everywhere I go everyone is wearing masks. People at work, EVERYONE in every store I go to. I haven't seen anyone in public, in person, without a mask in a couple of months. 92 percent of 2,200 Americans recently polled say they wear a face mask when leaving their home, with 74 percent saying they “always” do. That “always” percentage is up nearly a quarter since July, according to the poll, which has a 2 percent margin of error. Somehow the numbers are climbing again.

We are paying by the rules, why isn't it helping?

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
So a couple of things don't quite compute. I've been hearing all day every day that masks are critical to fighting the woo. The director of the CDC said masks may offer more protection against Covid than a vaccine.

Everywhere I go everyone is wearing masks. People at work, EVERYONE in every store I go to. I haven't seen anyone in public, in person, without a mask in a couple of months. 92 percent of 2,200 Americans recently polled say they wear a face mask when leaving their home, with 74 percent saying they “always” do. That “always” percentage is up nearly a quarter since July, according to the poll, which has a 2 percent margin of error. Somehow the numbers are climbing again.

The situations that don't require masks likely aren't being fully factored in: bars and indoor dining, get togethers in private residences, etc. My town has been at a high plateau for about 5 weeks and our health department continues to talk about how bars, indoor dining, and indoor gatherings have been the largest sources of infection per our contact tracing. Once those increase, people then spread it to other adults at home creating clusters of secondary spread. My understanding is that other towns are seeing similar trends. Add that to the fact that I think surveys on this stuff have to be taken with a massive grain of salt and you have your answer (social desirability and the fact that we're terrible about those kinds of frequency estimates are key here). Plus, my state's rural areas have by far the highest infection rates when they should have the lowest because of ease of distancing and based on what I see when driving through at gas stations and restaurants, extremely few people are wearing masks or distancing. National data have been showing similar trends for a month or so now.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City

I don't see everyone wearing masks here in OKC. Even those wearing masks are careless about how they cover
their complete mouth and nose.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!

We are playing by the Rules? HAHAH OMG

1603802339773.png

1603802665991.png

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC

I keep saying this as well. Europe is seeing a massive surge in cases despite nationwide mask mandates for months now. You can explain the spikes in rural areas where people aren’t taking precautions, but how do you explain the massive spikes in France, Spain, Italy, etc.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I keep saying this as well. Europe is seeing a massive surge in cases despite nationwide mask mandates for months now. You can explain the spikes in rural areas where people aren’t taking precautions, but how do you explain the massive spikes in France, Spain, Italy, etc.
As above, I'd wonder what indoor activities are allowed (bars, dining, etc) and what adherence looks like.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
The situations that don't require masks likely aren't being fully factored in: bars and indoor dining, get togethers in private residences, etc. My town has been at a high plateau for about 5 weeks and our health department continues to talk about how bars, indoor dining, and indoor gatherings have been the largest sources of infection per our contact tracing. Once those increase, people then spread it to other adults at home creating clusters of secondary spread. My understanding is that other towns are seeing similar trends. Add that to the fact that I think surveys on this stuff have to be taken with a massive grain of salt and you have your answer (social desirability and the fact that we're terrible about those kinds of frequency estimates are key here). Plus, my state's rural areas have by far the highest infection rates when they should have the lowest because of ease of distancing and based on what I see when driving through at gas stations and restaurants, extremely few people are wearing masks or distancing. National data have been showing similar trends for a month or so now.
I think restaurants and bars are the largest contributor to the rising cases. It’s so silly to require masks to enter a restaurant/bar and then you can take them off as soon as you’re at your table. We don’t dine in restaurants often, but when we have you look around a packed restaurant and bar with no masks in site.