Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Dude. It's been 8 months. Over 250K dead in the US. Over 1M dead around the world. What is it going to take for you to take off those conspiracy glasses? And I'd really like an answer if you're willing to give it. In @Rack mind, what does it take for you to think this isn't some big attempt to oust Trump?

It's a real virus. It's a real disease. It kills real people, and it doesn't happen on a timeframe that's convenient for anyone.
I'm willing...I know it's real...but I don't trust the numbers. I don't think it's a mass conspiracy but I understand those who do because of timing and our crazy media and unrest (so it enters my mind and I want reassurance that it's not, like you gave). I just want us to be level headed in our reactions and I don't think we were in Oklahoma early on when the Mayor spread fear, closed businesses, and locked us down when we had very few cases and really nothing to fear yet. I also don't think we have 250K who have died in the USA from Covid (I know Binman thinks it's more and I think it's less)...complication brought on by the addition of Covid as a comorbidity possibly makes it that high..I don't trust the NE numbers, they are way high per 100K if you look at them in comparison to all other areas both nationally and internationally. For some reason, IMHO, they (politicians and hospitals in the NE cities) inflated them (certainly my theory not known fact). All that being said, I understand want we have, I work in a hospital and deal with it daily (not directly with covid patients mind you)...

I've had an employee in the hospital with it and family members recover from it...the family members say it's no big deal, the employees says it almost killed her (diabetic). I'm, like you and everyone else, just trying to make sense of the world....in a senseless time...and mourning the death of our former "reality." Luckily I'm not mourning the death of a family member yet.

As far as Trump and my thoughts on that, it / Politics dominates our news cycle, I do think the other crisis of the year was politically manufactured (i.e. social racial unrest) to create division...when it spilled over into violence the media coverage stopped and it seemingly quieted down some...once again it's up on the radar and the polls were turning...just weird coincidences (once again my theory not factual data)? Covid...I honestly don't know, but I don't blame people for questioning "reality" these days.

Once again, I'm just Joe public dude spilling my confused thoughts. I'm going a bit crazy when I read headlines about possible lockdowns and such so I guess I need to stop reading the news again...I'm more healthy that way.

Last edited:

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
My kids went to Wal Mart yesterday. They were in and out in about 10 min. In that time they decided to count the number of people wearing mask in Wal Mart (which has signs on the door saying masks required). 48 people not wearing mask they said
This is crazy but it’s not the norm..... I live in a metro area with more than the population of many states. Come to Dallas pick the large store I’ll give you $100 for every non mask you give me one dollar for every masked person.... you’ll go broke. Also the whole world is struggling now and the argument can’t be that the entire world is fighting masks because of a trump tweet....because the argument was “if we would just do like France/Germany/Spain” just a couple of weeks ago. They don’t work like they said they do......they don’t hurt a thing either. But the “if people would just wear a mask” narrative is losing ground. The world is wearing a mask. Maybe not rural Oklahoma but the other 7.7999 billion are and it’s spreading faster than ever. There may not be a magic bullet for this thing.

Last edited:

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
One of the things that amazes me is how far behind in testing many of the large European countries are at this point when compared to the US (40%).
France 22%
Italy 24%
Germany 24%
Netherlands 17%

Belgium and UK are at 40% or higher and Spain is 36%. Some of the smaller Euro countries are under 15% in testing.
It’s almost like we aren’t collecting data or testing the public in a comparable way

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
It’s almost like we aren’t collecting data or testing the public in a comparable way
This happened about 2 weeks ago in France. French doctors held a walkout today.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-...ls-as-part-of-COVID-19-inquiry/4121602778891/

Police conducted morning raids at the home of former Prime Minister Edouard Philippe, health hinister Olivier Veran and former health minister Agnes Buzyn. Officials also searched Veran's office.
Authorities also searched the home of Sibeth Ndiaye, former spokeswoman for President Emmanuel Macron, officials said.

The investigation of public officials is targeted in scope to examine specific aspects of the government's COVID-19 response -- including their perceived failure to order workplace protections in a timely manner, provide face masks and coordinate testing early in the pandemic.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
This is crazy but it’s not the norm..... I live in a metro area with more than the population of many states. Come to Dallas pick the large store I’ll give you $100 for every non mask you give me one dollar for every masked person.... you’ll go broke. Also the whole world is struggling now and the argument can’t be that the entire world is fighting masks because of a trump tweet....because the argument was “if we would just do like France/Germany/Spain” just a couple of weeks ago. They don’t work like they said they do......they don’t hurt a thing either. But the “if people would just wear a mask” narrative is losing ground. The world is wearing a mask. Maybe not rural Oklahoma but the other 7.7999 billion are and it’s spreading faster than ever. There may not be a magic bullet for this thing.
it's not the norm in Tulsa either...

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
And there it is. I think you've held this as a possibility since the beginning. So have I. That's why I fought so hard against restrictions early on. I got so sick of hearing "just until the vaccine" or "let the hospitals gear up" as an estimated end point. That's not a solution. People need to understand that we might not be able to develop an effective vaccine... ever. I know that natural herd immunity is cruel and it's painful, but the dirty secret that no official will say publicly right now is that we might not have a choice. The hospitals and governments have had a chance to build stockpiles and develop emergency plans only for us to be at panic levels again. What happens next spring? Next fall? What about five years from now? Think we can have an annual 'coronavirus stimulus month'? Think we can afford that?

I worry that we're now choosing between 2 million dead or 2 million dead with a bankrupt economy and the misery that goes with it. Somebody give me some hope, please.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
And there it is. I think you've held this as a possibility since the beginning. So have I. That's why I fought so hard against restrictions early on. I got so sick of hearing "just until the vaccine" or "let the hospitals gear up" as an estimated end point. That's not a solution. People need to understand that we might not be able to develop an effective vaccine... ever. I know that natural herd immunity is cruel and it's painful, but the dirty secret that no official will say publicly right now is that we might not have a choice. The hospitals and governments have had a chance to build stockpiles and develop emergency plans only for us to be at panic levels again. What happens next spring? Next fall? What about five years from now? Think we can have an annual 'coronavirus stimulus month'? Think we can afford that?

I worry that we're now choosing between 2 million dead or 2 million dead with a bankrupt economy and the misery that goes with it. Somebody give me some hope, please.
I’m guessing you and your close family members have no comorbidities.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1321264178955538433?s=19
Just checked their deaths for today (523) and that's equivalent to about 2.6k deaths here with cases still rising (deaths roughly reflect where cases were 2 to 4 weeks ago). Their rolling average of daily cases has more than doubled in the last two weeks and almost quadrupled in the last month. Hating to be pessimistic, but even with a lockdown, that's going to be rough.

Sep 22, 2011
Nail on the head.

if you want to prove ineffective masks are, just look at contact tracing. Both my wife and I wear masks religiously, my wife is a teacher and when she was caught up in contact tracing they did not care that she wore a mask at all times at school, they didn't care That she tested negative, once she was caught in contact tracing she was treated as infected and nothing we could do could prove otherwise. At this point we have pandemic fatigue.
I know this is a minority opinion, but I think we are going to have to learn to live with risk again, because as many have said, this may never go away.

Just my very humble opinion is that we need to get back to living

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Nail on the head.

if you want to prove ineffective masks are, just look at contact tracing. Both my wife and I wear masks religiously, my wife is a teacher and when she was caught up in contact tracing they did not care that she wore a mask at all times at school, they didn't care That she tested negative, once she was caught in contact tracing she was treated as infected and nothing we could do could prove otherwise. At this point we have pandemic fatigue.
I know this is a minority opinion, but I think we are going to have to learn to live with risk again, because as many have said, this may never go away.

Interested to learn where you live and if you know what the infected person said about their contact with your wife. I know for certain that's not how contact tracing goes here (Nebraska) unless the infected person says you were within six feet with either party not wearing a mask. Since most masks aren't super protective and there's a lag in when you test positive, you can be doing everything right and still be asked to quarantine because someone else didn't.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Crap. the Big 10 just started last week
https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1321460253754593283
For Wisconsin I 100% suspect it's because their phenom QB caught it. If I were them, I'd want to pull as many people for contact tracing. Maybe that's not what they did, but in the other hand, why wouldn't they? A win over Nebraska gets them nothing and playing can only hurt them.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
For Wisconsin I 100% suspect it's because their phenom QB caught it. If I were them, I'd want to pull as many people for contact tracing. Maybe that's not what they did, but in the other hand, why wouldn't they? A win over Nebraska gets them nothing and playing can only hurt them.
6 Players, 6 Staff, and Head Coach all tested positive

It sucks too, because I LOVE to watch Nebraska get stomped

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Nail on the head.

Honestly it depends on where you are and what news you partake of if you think that your opinion is a "minority" opinion. I'd say it's a even split nationally.

Last edited: