Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
If you are only doing T-giving if it is a sunny day outside and you can socially distance then you have just announced the equivalent of calling an Uber in the other situation.
The risk is a non-socially distanced non-mask normal indoor extended family get together. Nobody is saying to avoid your family MORE than you would someone in the grocery store.

I guess the "I'm a believer and I don't fear death" could apply to the buzzed driving, too. The problem with that thinking for both situations is it isn't only your own death that you are leaving up to your religious beliefs.
Maybe so. It’s a though time in our history and it’s made worse by it going into the holidays. I think we had all hopped it would be over by now. It’s not worth my or others arguing between choices to drink and drive and covid. It’s just an option either way, we are all in this one together.. I don’t personally understand, but because of your ring side seat in those who are victims of this disease i it could be compared to the officer who has to clean up the carnage after drunk driving accidents. Your passion is going to be at a higher level. My hope for you is that you get relief soon from this crisis as you have had to deal with its effects daily. I sincerely apologize if my discssuions with you and others have made it emotionally worse. I’m not going to post for a while. I think it would be best for me and hopefully for you. Thanks for your daily efforts to heal those hurting snd sick. It’s a heroic and historic effort.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Maybe so. It’s a though time in our history and it’s made worse by it going into the holidays. I think we had all hopped it would be over by now. It’s not worth my or others arguing between choices to drink and drive and covid. It’s just an option either way, we are all in this one together.. I don’t personally understand, but because of your ring side seat in those who are victims of this disease i it could be compared to the officer who has to clean up the carnage after drunk driving accidents. Your passion is going to be at a higher level. My hope for you is that you get relief soon from this crisis as you have had to deal with its effects daily. I sincerely apologize if my discssuions with you and others have made it emotionally worse. I’m not going to post for a while. I think it would be best for me and hopefully for you. Thanks for your daily efforts to heal those hurting snd sick. It’s a heroic and historic effort.
That is just it. We are getting incredibly good news on the vaccine front. Like, far better than would be believed. So, that is a huge win. All we have to do is buckle down right now and more likely than not we will be seeing relief coming next year.
Instead, there are all these non-expert but firmly held opinions counter to the expertise.
And, yes, it is a nearly a daily occurrence that I hear, "Gee, I wasn't a believer until I got this so bad. Please doc, you have to help me out. I did not know." As if we have the magic pill we give once people accept the fact it is a bad disease with acute risk and known and unknown long term complications. It is very frustrating the stuff I read here which is why I often ignore this thread.

Mar 11, 2006
First, thank you for sending the link to the percentages. I will read more in detail on their calculation. However, immediately I found one fallacy to their calculation...especially for a family Thanksgiving dinner. They INCLUDE current active cases in their risk. I would certainly hope that we all have families that would not attend an event when they have tested positive for the virus.

* Now to their credit they definitely disclaim that the percentage “is not the same as the risk of any person being exposed or infected with COVID-19 at the event."
* By their calculation method they are estimating that between 21% to 41% of Oklahomans have or have had the virus. I certainly know several that have had COVID, but not 20 to 40% of the people I know.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
https://twitter.com/KOCODillon/status/1328403634242154611
I was initially going to try and set up some tables outside with a patio heater but freakin good luck finding a patio heater anywhere right now... Only place I can find them locally is on FB marketplace from a-holes that bought them all up and are reselling for a profit. Screw those guys...

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
First, thank you for sending the link to the percentages. I will read more in detail on their calculation. However, immediately I found one fallacy to their calculation...especially for a family Thanksgiving dinner. They INCLUDE current active cases in their risk. I would certainly hope that we all have families that would not attend an event when they have tested positive for the virus.

* Now to their credit they definitely disclaim that the percentage “is not the same as the risk of any person being exposed or infected with COVID-19 at the event."
* By their calculation method they are estimating that between 21% to 41% of Oklahomans have or have had the virus. I certainly know several that have had COVID, but not 20 to 40% of the people I know.
Clinical risk indicators are general guides used to inform decisions not precise calculations of the specific individual risk of a specific situation.
So, yea, unfortunately, for example, a friend of a friend of my daughter with asymptomatic positive covid went to a Halloween party. You aren't going to remove that risk from the calculator. You consider that risk in formulating your opinion of your own situation.

Mar 11, 2006
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1328427894494912515
in Tulsa County, there have been 27,500 positive cases of COVID. Using the 5x to 10x amount (provided by GATech) Tulsa County has had anywhere from 27,500 to 275,000 cases.

Deaths from COVID for anyone under 18 ............ZERO.

We need to do everything we can to keep elementary schools open.