Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
in Tulsa County, there have been 27,500 positive cases of COVID. Using the 5x to 10x amount (provided by GATech) Tulsa County has had anywhere from 27,500 to 275,000 cases.

Deaths from COVID for anyone under 18 ............ZERO.

We need to do everything we can to keep elementary schools open.
I'm not sure it is helping. Both my kids in quarantine right now and there are 700+ people or staff in their school quarantined right now. One of my kids classes started at 26 in chemistry. They had 5 kids left in the class as of last week before he was quarantined. This is a lab class and they have done ZERO labs because of too many out. All of their classes and class projects have been delayed because of people being out or having sub teachers.

I'm not so much worried about the kids as I am the teachers, janitors, bus drivers, crossing guards, office workers, administrators, lunch room workers, facilities workers, etc etc etc at this point

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Unfortunately, the public school's plan for virtual school is horrible and kids are regressing. I believe I read that 20-25% of OKCPS students haven't logged in once since the school year began. I feel privileged to have my kid in a very good Norman elementary and even with the extra effort by his school/teacher, she had to dumb down the curriculum and do reassessments to determine where the kids stand.

Mar 11, 2006
I'm not sure it is helping. Both my kids in quarantine right now and there are 700+ people or staff in their school quarantined right now. One of my kids classes started at 26 in chemistry. They had 5 kids left in the class as of last week before he was quarantined. This is a lab class and they have done ZERO labs because of too many out. All of their classes and class projects have been delayed because of people being out or having sub teachers.

I'm not so much worried about the kids as I am the teachers, janitors, bus drivers, crossing guards, office workers, administrators, lunch room workers, facilities workers, etc etc etc at this point
You are on the money. Quarantine is a huge issue with schools. My wife and I see it first hand. The schools seem to be doing a remarkable job at contact tracing.

Sep 22, 2011

In ponca they have closed the highschool due to contact tracing, but shutting down the district takes a BOE vote and they have basically stated that they will not vote to close all of the elementary schools for any reason. The superintendent can close individual sites but not the whole district. Good news is that middle and highschool distance learning seems to be doing ok. Elementary is bad.

Apr 7, 2006
I am not and have never been a fan of lock down- especially the timing in Oklahoma which I felt was too early. I'm convinced that many people have taken advantage of this situation for financial or political gain.

With all that said, it's past time to get very serious about this. I continue to hear people describe how "they're over it" and see people just not trying at all and it is frustrating. We'll turn the corner soon, but we have to be reasonably cautious until things calm down. That means both protests and hugging at church- just for once I'd like to see us all just pull together in the same direction. This isn't about politics.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
https://twitter.com/tlowdon/status/1328592585993187329?s=20
From the same guy in July

At the outset, I want to make several points crystal clear:
  • I support the wearing of cloth face coverings (masks) by the general public.
  • Stop citing CIDRAP and me as grounds to not wear masks, whether mandated or not.
  • Don't, however, use the wearing of cloth face coverings as an excuse to decrease other crucial, likely more effective, protective steps, like physical distancing
  • Also, don't use poorly conducted studies to support a contention that wearing cloth face coverings will drive the pandemic into the ground. But even if they reduce infection risk somewhat, wearing them can be important.
I've received increasing criticism in recent weeks because I've offered more nuanced messaging on whether everyone should wear cloth face coverings in public to protect against COVID-19 transmission—messaging that some view as unacceptable. The criticism has included a recent commentary by Masks4All proponents Jeremy Howard and Vincent Rajkumar, MD, that mischaracterizes my position on cloth face coverings and misrepresents the science of personal protection for COVID-19.
Again, I want to make it very clear that I support the use of cloth face coverings by the general public. I wear one myself on the limited occasions I'm out in public. In areas where face coverings are mandated, I expect the public to follow the mandate and wear them.
At the same time, I have been concerned about "message creep" since the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) first recommended in April to use cloth face coverings without providing additional context regarding their use. Public health messaging should include a more precise discussion of the effectiveness of cloth face coverings in preventing transmission of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. We need to be clear that cloth face coverings are one tool we have to fight the pandemic, but they alone will not end it. And we need to underscore the key role that physical distancing plays—even when you wear a face covering.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-per...oth-face-coverings-public-preventing-covid-19

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
did Putin roll out a Vax a couple a months ago?
rolling out a Vax and having the infrastructure and distribution plan in place to actually vaccinate people are two very different things.

I think some people think this thing is just going to go away once the Vaccine is available and begins distribution. Like Fauci said. late 2nd qtr or 3rd qtr 2021 before any type of Normal even starts to return
I don't think putin had a vaccine. That, I think, is the point he tried to make.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Mar 11, 2006
https://twitter.com/benfelder_okc/status/1328714967621771264?s=21
Results don't seem to matter for the "hate Stitt" crowd.

Oklahoma ranks 38th in deaths per capita.

And it is not just due to geographic location. Oklahoma is lower in deaths per capita for all states surrounding Oklahoma.
Kansas is 5% higher in deaths per capita
Colorado is 15% higher
Missouri is 44% higher
New Mexico is 51% higher
Texas is 77% higher
Arkansas is 90% higher

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Results don't seem to matter for the "hate Stitt" crowd.

Oklahoma ranks 38th in deaths per capita.

And it is not just due to geographic location. Oklahoma is lower in deaths per capita for all states surrounding Oklahoma.
Kansas is 5% higher in deaths per capita
Colorado is 15% higher
Missouri is 44% higher
New Mexico is 51% higher
Texas is 77% higher
Arkansas is 90% higher
Literally every.single.person in my social media feeds that were railing on Trump daily... have now turned their rants to Gov Stitt.

And they didn't miss a beat.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Literally every.single.person in my social media feeds that were railing on Trump daily... have now turned their rants to Gov Stitt.

Stitt's Corona response is just typical R governor so I don't hate him for that.

I hate him for destroying our government agencies and replacing knowledgeable people with friends with no experience and ripping off the Oklahoma taxpayers by paying them more than the competent people they replaced. These actions will harm our state long after he is gone.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville

I find plenty to criticize Stitt on, but his handling of COVID isn't necessarily one for me. There were a few things I wish he would have done differently, but overall, I think I would give him a B.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Figured out how to have Aunt Beatrice over for upcoming Turkey Day and not get in trouble...

BD0286D3-5585-431F-ACE4-468FA01A40F7.jpeg

What? Seriously, her green bean casserole is worth risking your life for.