Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Steross...our Oklahoma Covid19 positive rate is about 8% so in any Oklahoma meeting of evenly disturbed 15 people may have one person who is carring the virus. This does not take into account those who have recovered and no longer trasmit the disease. My personal recommendation to my family and friends is to assume that everyone you meet may have the virus and able to transmit the virus to you. Therefore always wear a mask out in public and keep a save distance of at least 6 or more feet.

Jul 10, 2009
Stillwater, OK
I'd like to ask a question to our medically oriented posters here:

If you or a family member were diagnosed with COVID, what actions would you take? Like start dietary supplements or is there just nothing you can do?

Same question if you were exposed--is there anything you can do to protect yourself, or just watch the symptoms and seek medical attention if you feel that they are life threatening?

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC

If you or a family member were diagnosed with COVID, what actions would you take? Like start dietary supplements or is there just nothing you can do?

Same question if you were exposed--is there anything you can do to protect yourself, or just watch the symptoms and seek medical attention if you feel that they are life threatening?
I'm not doctor, but I would be taking 5,000 IU of Vitamin D daily. You may also take Zinc and Vitamin C all of which build up your immune system.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Interesting video I came across last night that helps visualize what exponential growth really looks like. Keep in mind this was posted in April... A point they make is that it doesn't look "that bad" until it does and then it gets real out of hand real fast. Yes, I know that we don't have a R value of 2 right now but it's still a good visual representation of what an exponential value looks like.
https://youtu.be/e02eiX866N4

May 31, 2007
OK & CA
Long awaited Danish mask study released. Findings not surprising if you’ve been reading what I’ve been posting over the last few months:

https://twitter.com/AlexBerenson/status/1329063456704704512?s=20

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007

I took vit D, zinc and vit C daily for months... still got the virus. Took my supplements daily while I had the virus. It didn't really do anything. The symptoms I got were more "nuisance" than painful or discomfort. While I had a repetitive, low-grade fever and body aches for like 8-10 days, I've battled much worse flu bugs with way worse fevers and body aches in my lifetime (BUT got over the symptoms in a matter of 2 days tops).

Here's what (I think) helped me through the virus: I'm in the gym daily. And I have been for almost 3 years now. I'm about to turn 49 yrs old and I train for and compete in obstacle course races like Spartan races/ninja warrior races and run like five to six 5k events throughout the year. Hell, I just had my annual doctor's exam just last week. When he got to reading that I had tested positive, he barely asked any questions and THE.VERY.SECOND I started to talk about the symptoms he immediately cut me off and said "yeah but you're in VERY GOOD HEALTH, so this virus really doesn't do anything to you..." then he went on talking about the health of the patients that he had lost.

Best medicine... get a healthy diet and get in 30 minutes of exercise daily (if you can).

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Amazing how quickly the truth flows about vaccines & masks now that the election is over:

https://twitter.com/seanmdav/status/1329068654349185025?s=20
Statistically, that's not what this means. They're likely underpowered with a ton of covariates (their target N was 6k and they got 4.6k). Still, a raw difference of about 25% greater infection in the control group should be significant with that many participants unless you have lots of control covariates that widen your confidence interval. Some important additional things, they're misinterpreting odds ratios as though they're relative risk ratios, they didn't asses whether the recommendation actually changed behavior, and they're assessing protection NOT reduction of spread by these participants. It gets absurd how much it has to be repeated, masks' primary purpose is not to protect you but so you protect others. Much like participants in this study, if you're in an area where almost no one wears masks except you, it likely won't do much (participants here had to be around others for 3+ hours and mask use was minimal). It would have been far more informative to randomize workplaces to a mask vs no mask condition.

Some of these same points are outlined in the same issue in the same journal. https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-7448

Also, from the discussion in the study you linked: "The findings, however, should not be used to conclude that a recommendation for everyone to wear masks in the community would not be effective in reducing SARS-CoV-2 infections, because the trial did not test the role of masks in source control of SARS-CoV-2 infection."

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
I took vit D, zinc and vit C daily for months... still got the virus. Took my supplements daily while I had the virus. It didn't really do anything. The symptoms I got were more "nuisance" than painful or discomfort. While I had a repetitive, low-grade fever and body aches for like 8-10 days, I've battled much worse flu bugs with way worse fevers and body aches in my lifetime (BUT got over the symptoms in a matter of 2 days tops).

Here's what (I think) helped me through the virus: I'm in the gym daily. And I have been for almost 3 years now. I'm about to turn 49 yrs old and I train for and compete in obstacle course races like Spartan races/ninja warrior races and run like five to six 5k events throughout the year. Hell, I just had my annual doctor's exam just last week. When he got to reading that I had tested positive, he barely asked any questions and THE.VERY.SECOND I started to talk about the symptoms he immediately cut me off and said "yeah but you're in VERY GOOD HEALTH, so this virus really doesn't do anything to you..." then he went on talking about the health of the patients that he had lost.

Best medicine... get a healthy diet and get in 30 minutes of exercise daily (if you can).
There is a huge correlation with health and Covid symptoms. Young and healthy individuals typically see little to no symptoms and recover very quickly. Overweight and people with pre-existing conditions typically associated with poor health tend to have a much rougher time with the disease. Our PC world is afraid to point this out in fear that they will offend people, but it's a fact. Nearly 40% of people in the US are obese, 40%. People don't try to fix this issue themselves, because it takes hard work and dedication. they'd rather go to the doctor and get pills to put a band aid on it. During this time it would be great to see doctors and top scientists pushing a healthier lifestyle remedy as a way to naturally boost the immune system, but not a peep.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
There is a huge correlation with health and Covid symptoms. Young and healthy individuals typically see little to no symptoms and recover very quickly. Overweight and people with pre-existing conditions typically associated with poor health tend to have a much rougher time with the disease. Our PC world is afraid to point this out in fear that they will offend people, but it's a fact. Nearly 40% of people in the US are obese, 40%. People don't try to fix this issue themselves, because it takes hard work and dedication. they'd rather go to the doctor and get pills to put a band aid on it. During this time it would be great to see doctors and top scientists pushing a healthier lifestyle remedy as a way to naturally boost the immune system, but not a peep.
This......

We have had health officials tell us to socially distance our cats and make love through a hole in a physical barrier but not lose weight and exercise. Or at least it didn’t get the press. It would have been great if they would have said instead of buying 50 rolls of toilet paper drop 20 pounds while you have nothing to do. Go exercise and safely get some sunshine.....that would do much more for community health than instructions for a glory hole.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Agree.

And I kept my mouth shut the first go round of lockdown when they mandated the closures of gyms (yet liquor stores and drive-thru fast food were allowed to stay open)... Because I'm a scientist and I get the "supposed" issue* with gym activities and transmission of this virus, but I'd argue that this is one of THE STUPIDEST things to restrict.

I'll absolutely make noise if mandates try to close gyms in Oklahoma again (especially in the winter months).

*I've yet to see a single article detailing a Covid spreader event attributed to a gym thru tracing.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Our gym has never seemed safer. Everyone is wearing a mask and wiping off equipment after each use and the staff goes around constantly cleaning equipment. Every other cardio equipment is blocked off and they have closed certain group fitness activities and the sauna.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
Our gym has never seemed safer. Everyone is wearing a mask and wiping off equipment after each use and the staff goes around constantly cleaning equipment. Every other cardio equipment is blocked off and they have closed certain group fitness activities and the sauna.
I’ve been one that has advocated that some form of normal life must go on. I’m in the camp that is you are healthy you don’t have that much to worry about (I know one can spread it to those at risk). But my gym is an estate attorney’s dream. It’s mainly old folks and they don’t give a single f.....care about anything. So bad I don’t go anymore and I’m out and about doing quite a hit

May 31, 2007
OK & CA
Time to ditch masks and push social distancing & hand washing. Those things actually work and we’ve known that for a 100 years.

https://twitter.com/justin_hart/status/1329073925028937733?s=20

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
So, so true and not even just against COVID. Lower likelihood of cardiovascular disease and psychological issues when you are staying physically fit. People need to be getting outdoors and walking/lifting as much as possible - especially now that we are in a pseudo lockdown.
My wife and I have a saying: An hour of exercise is equal to a week at the therapist.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Time to ditch masks and push social distancing & hand washing. Those things actually work and we’ve known that for a 100 years.

https://twitter.com/justin_hart/status/1329073925028937733?s=20
You pull up to a drive through window and as they approach the window they reach up with a gloved hand to pull the mask off their chin over their mouth, not even up over their nose all the time. Other's you can see behind the counter the mask is anywhere from covering only their chin, only their mouth, and some their mouth and nose.

And then when they leave the window they reach up with the gloved hand and pull the mask back down to their chin.

Then they come back to the window to give you your order. As they approach the window they again reach up with a gloved hand and pull the mask back up over their mouth but not their nose always.

Then with the same gloved hand open the window, reach over (with the same gloved hand) to hand you your drink and straw before finally (with the same gloved hand) your food.....

Seriously, I would prefer they ditch the glove and mask and wash their hands on a regular basis. At least that way they aren't touching their nose and my food before serving me....