Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
If we have another lockdown why not this time close WalMart, Costco, etc.

If you are a locally owned business that isn't franchised you can stay open. Everyone else has to close this time.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
If we have another lockdown why not this time close WalMart, Costco, etc.

If you are a locally owned business that isn't franchised you can stay open. Everyone else has to close this time.
Got it, don't wear masks and turn off your main supply lines that serve 95% of most communities. Put out of work all the people who work for the largest employers in most small towns.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Got it, don't wear masks and turn off your main supply lines that serve 95% of most communities. Put out of work all the people who work for the largest employers in most small towns.
Sort of a change from what we typically hear. I thought liberals were against corporate control of the economy and favored the small business owner?

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
My wife and I have a saying: An hour of exercise is equal to a week at the therapist.
Gawd this! SO.MUCH.THIS!

I've always been an athlete. Always liked pushing myself. Always found joy in sports and related activities. Then marriage, kids, life etcetcetc… out of the gym/activities for years. Losing a dad at 67 to massive heart attack and a 20yr marriage abruptly ending... while the therapist helped, it did nothing for me compared to getting my ass back in the gym and challenging myself.

The gym is my Fortress of Solitude. It's THE PLACE I go to just work everything out. Loud, angry music... moving weights... just flat beating the everloving sh*t out of a heavy bag... if there's something more therapeutic on this earth, I haven't found it yet.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Gawd this! SO.MUCH.THIS!

I've always been an athlete. Always liked pushing myself. Always found joy in sports and related activities. Then marriage, kids, life etcetcetc… out of the gym/activities for years. Losing a dad at 67 to massive heart attack and a 20yr marriage abruptly ending... while the therapist helped, it did nothing for me compared to getting my ass back in the gym and challenging myself.

The gym is my Fortress of Solitude. It's THE PLACE I go to just work everything out. Loud, angry music... moving weights... just flat beating the everloving sh*t out of a heavy bag... if there's something more therapeutic on this earth, I haven't found it yet.
In case you needed data, exercise really does reduce depression as much as our best therapies, especially if there's some cardio. Here's one example (there's now a ton of data on this).

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...mized+trial&btnG=#d=gs_qabs&u=#p=Hw2-Wl2pBwwJ

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
https://twitter.com/AlexBerenson/status/1328745182762774528?s=20
And you are showing why media headlines of medical studies are harmful because people do not understand them and just seek confirmation bias. Because, this study does show things but not what you think. And, let's be totally honest, if the headline of this study was "Masks prevent a lot of covid" there is no way in hell you would have posted it. Did you read the study or just find a tweet you liked?

Assuming that wearing a face mask halves risk for infection, we estimated that a sample of 4636 participants would provide the trial with 80% power at a significance level of 5% (2-sided α level). Anticipating 20% loss to follow-up in this community-based study, we aimed to assign at least 6000 participants.

So, step one of a study is, "What exactly were they trying to show." And, what they were trying to show was that wearing a mask decreased the incidence of COVID 50% for the wearer of the mask. Which, as has been stated multiple times, is NOT the primary reason to wear a mask. The primary reason is if you are an asymptomatic carrier of covid, you wearing a mask helps others.

Step two, did the trial do what it was supposed to do?
Adherence

Based on the lowest adherence reported in the mask group during follow-up, 46% of participants wore the mask as recommended, 47% predominantly as recommended, and 7% not as recommended.

So, less than half of the people actually wore the masks as they are supposed to. Which would completely screw up the power of the statistical analysis. What this is good in showing is that volunteer "hey wear a mask is a good idea" measures are not great. And, this was all volunteer in an area masks are not required.

There are many other details such as a higher percentage of mask wearers as shop employees/cashiers which are higher risk employment. But, point is, if you are reading medical literature by headline, you are not getting the story, you are confirming your biases.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Owasso's resolution was NOT a mask mandate. They passed a resolution to "strongly encourage" people in Owasso wear masks and part of this resolution is that any local business that wants to enforce mandatory masks in their stores would be assured the Owasso Police would help them enforce it if necessary.
Despite actual mask mandates in Norman, the Norman police don't do anything if you are not wearing them and are constantly called out by the loud social media sleuths for not wearing masks themselves.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
And you are showing why media headlines of medical studies are harmful because people do not understand them and just seek confirmation bias. Because, this study does show things but not what you think. And, let's be totally honest, if the headline of this study was "Masks prevent a lot of covid" there is no way in hell you would have posted it. Did you read the study or just find a tweet you liked?

Assuming that wearing a face mask halves risk for infection, we estimated that a sample of 4636 participants would provide the trial with 80% power at a significance level of 5% (2-sided α level). Anticipating 20% loss to follow-up in this community-based study, we aimed to assign at least 6000 participants.

So, step one of a study is, "What exactly were they trying to show." And, what they were trying to show was that wearing a mask decreased the incidence of COVID 50% for the wearer of the mask. Which, as has been stated multiple times, is NOT the primary reason to wear a mask. The primary reason is if you are an asymptomatic carrier of covid, you wearing a mask helps others.

Step two, did the trial do what it was supposed to do?
Adherence

Based on the lowest adherence reported in the mask group during follow-up, 46% of participants wore the mask as recommended, 47% predominantly as recommended, and 7% not as recommended.

So, less than half of the people actually wore the masks as they are supposed to. Which would completely screw up the power of the statistical analysis. What this is good in showing is that volunteer "hey wear a mask is a good idea" measures are not great. And, this was all volunteer in an area masks are not required.

There are many other details such as a higher percentage of mask wearers as shop employees/cashiers which are higher risk employment. But, point is, if you are reading medical literature by headline, you are not getting the story, you are confirming your biases.
My favorite misinterpretation was them saying that it may increase infection.

Also, that's not a real measure of adherence. Beyond demand characteristics of asking it in person and selecting the wrong category to re run analyses (those with at least partial adherence instead of those with full adherence), people are terrible at reporting their frequency of behavior like that. There's a whole science around it that they needed to do daily diary or calendar methods.