Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Where did I say that?
You didn't. You were vague, which is why I had to ask the question. It was an ad for a $25k bonus in Oklahoma. You said that bonuses "have been in place" for years. Which in response to that ad would imply that they are in place in the location of the ad since a small bonus or a bonus elsewhere would be irrelevant to the situation being brought up in the tweet.
So, again, what did you mean and how does it apply to the tweet?

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Yeah, not really looking forward to next weeks numbers. I just hope that schools decide to just stay virtual through Christmas instead of coming back next week because numbers are down this week only to go virtual again the following week because they went back up... There's no way jumping back and forth is better for student's learning than just being consistently virtual.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Yeah, not really looking forward to next weeks numbers. I just hope that schools decide to just stay virtual through Christmas instead of coming back next week because numbers are down this week only to go virtual again the following week because they went back up... There's no way jumping back and forth is better for student's learning than just being consistently virtual.
Norman is still in-person. I agree with the bouncing back and forth thing.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Norman is still in-person. I agree with the bouncing back and forth thing.
This is something that confuses me... The state has one map and then the state school board has another map with different top end criteria. Some schools follow the state map while others follow the state school board map and on top of that some schools follow the state school board recommendations and others say "they're just recommendations". It'd be nice if we could all be on the same page on this...

Mar 11, 2006
I agree jumping back and forth is not good. Would rather schools stay in-person, but definitely in-person for elementary. I haven’t seen any large success with virtual elementary.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
This is something that confuses me... The state has one map and then the state school board has another map with different top end criteria. Some schools follow the state map while others follow the state school board map and on top of that some schools follow the state school board recommendations and others say "they're just recommendations". It'd be nice if we could all be on the same page on this...
My kids school has opted to hold the 9-12 grade out until the end of the semester with 3 options on how High School kids finish the remainder of the year in January when they go back, as they had 700+ students and staff out. However, they continuing in person school for K-8.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
My sister developed symptoms on Friday just after Thankgiving, and got a positive test back on Saturday. Fortunately, we called off our family gathering for Saturday as a result, so hopefully it was contained to her household only. We were already going to just drop off food at the gathering, anyway, but her positive test made that a formality. I imagine a lot of other struggled with the decision, and many probably elected to go ahead and celebrate with family. I'm sure our #'s will increase over the next few weeks as a result.

In my immediate family (parents and siblings only), we've had two positive cases - my mom and sister (both teachers). The rest of us have done a good job isolating, but both of them had to do some in-person teaching, and surely picked it up that way.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I agree jumping back and forth is not good. Would rather schools stay in-person, but definitely in-person for elementary. I haven’t seen any large success with virtual elementary.
Personally, my kid (Kinder) is doing great with virtual and we're going to continue it through the spring. Her district has allowed both a full time in-person and full time virtual option this entire year. I also know though that's she's a really smart kid. Some of the things she picks up on just blow my mind. Certainly helps that her mother is a teacher that has an early childhood degree. I know that not everyone is having that same experience though so I understand the need for in-person. I do prefer there to be an option and let the kids stick with that option but I'm also a bit torn because I know that while the students get that option, the teachers do not and there's teachers that have been doing everything right to not catch this virus only to wind up back in a room with 20+ kids where they get infected. Makes the months some have sacrificed not seeing their extended families and staying home seem like a complete waste of effort. I'm just ready for this thing to finally die down so we can all try to get back to a somewhat normal life without causing another spike in cases.

Mar 11, 2006
Personally, my kid (Kinder) is doing great with virtual and we're going to continue it through the spring. Her district has allowed both a full time in-person and full time virtual option this entire year. I also know though that's she's a really smart kid. Some of the things she picks up on just blow my mind. Certainly helps that her mother is a teacher that has an early childhood degree. I know that not everyone is having that same experience though so I understand the need for in-person. I do prefer there to be an option and let the kids stick with that option but I'm also a bit torn because I know that while the students get that option, the teachers do not and there's teachers that have been doing everything right to not catch this virus only to wind up back in a room with 20+ kids where they get infected. Makes the months some have sacrificed not seeing their extended families and staying home seem like a complete waste of effort. I'm just ready for this thing to finally die down so we can all try to get back to a somewhat normal life without causing another spike in cases.
I know you and I both have wives that are teachers. Our school gave teachers the option to be virtual or in-person...although I am sure the virtual option was limited. Her school was all-virtual for first 6 weeks and to say was wife was happy they returned to in-person would be a massive understatement. The HS and MS have moved back to virtual, but elementary has stayed in-person.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I know you and I both have wives that are teachers. Our school gave teachers the option to be virtual or in-person...although I am sure the virtual option was limited. Her school was all-virtual for first 6 weeks and to say was wife was happy they returned to in-person would be a massive understatement. The HS and MS have moved back to virtual, but elementary has stayed in-person.
My son is starting high school and I am concerned that he's not really being prepared for college, I know that's still a long ways away, but I'm not convinced he's really earning all those A's. It's starting to feel like when I got my MBA online from one of those BS online schools. The company paid for it so why not, but I would rush in some last second assignment with the intent of doing better next time, and it would come back a 99%. After a while it just got ridiculous.