Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Except the rise began before Thanksgiving, especially in colder climates. Thanksgiving isn't a holiday in Europe. We don't know the exact magnitude of the effect, but again, it's fairly accepted among epidemiologists that there is some significant effect of seasonality.
So, now you've gone from "some degree" to "some significant effect". Okay.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Now you're arguing minor semantics. I stand by both. It is well accepted that there is an effect of seasonality.
You know, seeing him argue with you, another doctor, on details like this makes me feel like less of an idiot when he does the same with me and others. Reminds me of my ex-wife!

Me: "Hey honey, looks like it might rain a bit this evening. I brought you some flowers, how about we stay in and order a pizza and cuddle?".

Her, being 100% serious: "It's misting, not raining. You sound really dumb when you say it's raining"

Me: "Yeah, I guess so" :unsure:

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
Found this article interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about vaccine passports or mandates as a policy. There are benefits sure, but it sparks a massive government control and equality debate that is likely to not be resolved anywhere in the near future.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/vaccine-passports-covids-next-political-flash-point/ar-BB1ea13K

Interestingly enough, we are already seeing a lawsuit about forced vaccination.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/d...ues-over-covid-19-vaccine-mandate/ar-BB1e7Ylh

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Found this article interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about vaccine passports or mandates as a policy. There are benefits sure, but it sparks a massive government control and equality debate that is likely to not be resolved anywhere in the near future.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/vaccine-passports-covids-next-political-flash-point/ar-BB1ea13K

Interestingly enough, we are already seeing a lawsuit about forced vaccination.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/d...ues-over-covid-19-vaccine-mandate/ar-BB1e7Ylh
Not a fan of government endorsed/mandate vaccination passport programs.

Have no problem with private entities requiring proof of vaccination prior to providing services....concerts, travel, etc.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Except the rise began before Thanksgiving, especially in colder climates. Thanksgiving isn't a holiday in Europe. We don't know the exact magnitude of the effect, but again, it's fairly accepted among epidemiologists that there is some significant effect of seasonality.
To follow up,. I asked my friend the Purdue epidemiologist and this is what she said:

• There is an element of seasonality to it but not truly seasonal.
  • Meaning we would expect more cases in winter but it won’t go away in spring/summer.
  • It’s not like the flu where it nearly fades out, but it does seem to surge in winter months.
  • The surge really is seasonal- but of course exacerbated by the holidays.
  • (Which prompted me to ask about the holidays being a confounder, and her response) Contact tracing allows us to sort it out.
So, I give it up to you, you scooped me on this one. I need to start reading her blog again.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
To follow up,. I asked my friend the Purdue epidemiologist and this is what she said:

• Meaning we would expect more cases in winter but it won’t go away in spring/summer.
  • It’s not like the flu where it nearly fades out, but it does seem to surge in winter months.
  • (Which prompted me to ask about the holidays being a confounder, and her response) Contact tracing allows us to sort it out.
So, I give it up to you, you scooped me on this one. I need to start reading her blog again.
Gotta say, I appreciate you coming back to say that. Not a common thing for a message board.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond

I really enjoyed her posts that you'd copy here at the beginning of the pandemic.