Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Do you believe eliminating a state-wide mask mandate will cause a statistical jump in Covid-related deaths in Texas?
I wouldn’t be surprised. Deaths already were climbing back up by the time he announced the mandate ending. Hospitalizations are still on a smooth curve down, but aren’t below where they were when the mandate was instated.

I mostly have an issue with the timing. We’re still above levels when the mandate was put in place. We may have gotten below that if we waited. We’re also lagging behind 48 other states in our vaccinations per capita. I think he jumped the gun in order to distract from the energy crises he handled so poorly. It may also have been to help businesses during spring break (amusement parks, beaches, etc.).

Either way, it seems premature and unjustified.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I wouldn’t be surprised. Deaths already were climbing back up by the time he announced the mandate ending. Hospitalizations are still on a smooth curve down, but aren’t below where they were when the mandate was instated.

I mostly have an issue with the timing. We’re still above levels when the mandate was put in place. We may have gotten below that if we waited. We’re also lagging behind 48 other states in our vaccinations per capita. I think he jumped the gun in order to distract from the energy crises he handled so poorly. It may also have been to help businesses during spring break (amusement parks, beaches, etc.).

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1367527296823947265

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Oklahoma has once against changed its reporting metric on Deaths and will now follow the CDC's reported deaths for Oklahoma

This new method of reporting Deaths based on CDC data raises COVID overall Deaths in Oklahoma by 2500+

https://twitter.com/KOCODillon/status/1367528446285471745

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
So the CDC generically checks the COVID box and the Oklahoma State Health Department actually investigates to determine if COVID was the contributing factor?

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
So the CDC generically checks the COVID box and the Oklahoma State Health Department actually investigates to determine if COVID was the contributing factor?
No.

Death certificates must be filled out by 2 people. This can be any combo of a doctor, coroner, or medical examiner.

SO what it is saying. Mostly in Oklahoma you will have a Doctor and a Coroner fill out the death certificate and submit it to the state. These are then reported to the CDC. In Oklahoma the state was taking Death Certs filled out by Oklahoma Drs and Oklahoma coroners and if it said COVID were sending out a ME to investigate each Death Certificate and then submitting the death certificates to the CDC.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Basically this was the CDC having looser definitions so as to make sure that they didn't miss any potential for the deaths but with the risk that they were going to net deaths that were not covered. My understanding is they thought it was worth that. We aren't the only state that didn't want to be so loose with the definitions. Besides it's not like we're New York Pennsylvania or Michigan with their nursing home deaths that were actually trying to be hidden.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ

That's my big problem with it. The only explanation for doing this now that makes sense is that he wants to take the attention off handling of the winter storm.

Like, I would love to burn my masks. Sign me up. But the cases aren't at that point where we're out of the woods just yet. My best comparison is that we jumped out of a plan without a parachute, and through a freaking MIRACLE managed to find one on the way down (vaccines), and we've got it put on and deployed... but Abbot wants to unstrap from it 45 feet above the ground because 'hey, we aren't in freefall anymore'.

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
I hope that even through peoples ignorance with lifting face mask mandate, and the many people who have basically ignored them from the very beginning, that we will still see a decline in numbers. People who don't believe in masks, or vaccines, or that this covid thing was never as bad as media told us, will Never change their mind...my parents and siblings have never bought into the covid hysteria...thankfully for my parents they live far from any neighbors and don't really get out that much and have been able to avoid contracting the damn thing!

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Don't the cities that already have them get to keep them (i.e. mask mandates)? AND can't cities that don't have them adopt them? I like the way Oklahoma did it better...Not sure which is...Each city and town was able to do it's own mandate or not...(i.e. Tulsa has had one for a long time while BA has not)...I just like more local control when you are taking a state the size of Texas...Dallas doesn't need the same rules as Mafra...just an opinion.

Last edited:

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
That's my big problem with it. The only explanation for doing this now that makes sense is that he wants to take the attention off handling of the winter storm.

Like, I would love to burn my masks. Sign me up. But the cases aren't at that point where we're out of the woods just yet. My best comparison is that we jumped out of a plan without a parachute, and through a freaking MIRACLE managed to find one on the way down (vaccines), and we've got it put on and deployed... but Abbot wants to unstrap from it 45 feet above the ground because 'hey, we aren't in freefall anymore'.
I don't necessarily agree with the Gov ending the statewide mandate at this juncture, primarily due to the fact the state has recorded cases of both the California and Brazil variants which antibodies have a tough time stopping. Statewide numbers for active cases a half of what they were in January and we have many counties with active case numbers below 50...Harris County, the largest in the State with 5 million people has only 17,000 active cases and R(t) below 1. County's, cities and businesses can still install local requirements. Since the announcement I have asked many of the businesses I've visited what their requirements will be and all have plans to continue requiring masks within their premises

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It seems like the definitions get changed when the virus goes in check...troubling. However below is a wonderful moment in time when goal post were moved and I GREATLY enjoyed it...
1614891924961.png

All that said...Be happy! Vaccinations are going at a 2 million per day clip and we have done more today resulting in 83 million plus vaccine doses given in the USA. My prediction is that we will be at 100 million doses given by Spring break. This is how we open society...keep up the pace and pick it up. Get it when it's your turn...unless you like living under a rock in your home connected to others by only your PC...then just continue what you are doing.

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
I hope that even through peoples ignorance with lifting face mask mandate, and the many people who have basically ignored them from the very beginning, that we will still see a decline in numbers. People who don't believe in masks, or vaccines, or that this covid thing was never as bad as media told us, will Never change their mind...my parents and siblings have never bought into the covid hysteria...thankfully for my parents they live far from any neighbors and don't really get out that much and have been able to avoid contracting the damn thing!
I'm not trying to pick a fight...I just know this stuff goes both ways. My coworker from LA was telling me his MIL has received both vaccine shots, but still refuses to see her grand kids. She will pull up to the house and stay in the car while the kids come outside and stand in the yard so she can waive at them.

Sep 12, 2008
Any guesses on what percentage of the population will continue to wear masks for the rest of their lives? I know some people who were germaphobes before COVID and I can't see them going out in public without masking up first. I'm guessing about 10%.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Don't the cities that already have them get to keep them (i.e. mask mandates)? AND can't cities that don't have them adopt them? I like the way Oklahoma did it better...Not sure which is...Each city and town was able to do it's own mandate or not...(i.e. Tulsa has had one for a long time while BA has not)...I just like more local control when you are taking a state the size of Texas...Dallas doesn't need the same rules as Mafra...just an opinion.
It was hard enough to enforce WITH a mandate from the governor. Good luck after this. It will be a free-for-all. I am not looking forward to it.

Mar 11, 2006
It was hard enough to enforce WITH a mandate from the governor. Good luck after this. It will be a free-for-all. I am not looking forward to it.
Friendly wager. I am willing to bet $100 to a COVID charity that by the end of May, Texas will NOT see any statistical difference in the number of COVID death rate per capita than compared to other surrounding states.

*Note: I am concerned about the low rate of vaccination in Texas, which I do believe will increase cases and deaths, but I don't believe a state-wide removal of a mask mandate will result in more than a miniscule bump.