Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It was hard enough to enforce WITH a mandate from the governor. Good luck after this. It will be a free-for-all. I am not looking forward to it.
Maybe it was just a different tact here that we followed...because we did it locally and not state wide, I feel that it was more equitable and equally effective (which is up for debate if it has much effect, certainly it does in medical environments like where I work). I'm pretty sure many venues in health care will keep their mask mandates as will many other establishments and principalities...bottom line however, we have to move on soon...my hope is that you don't see ANY increases in cases as a result and that you actually see an uptick in those getting vaccines due to this rule change and their renewed sense that they may need to get that done just to have some form of protection. Bottom line, I'm glad I'm not a Governor these days...wow.

The moral of this story is that we need to talk our friends, in a loving way, into getting the vaccine. QUICKLY as possible.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Friendly wager. I am willing to bet $100 to a COVID charity that by the end of May, Texas will NOT see any statistical difference in the number of COVID death rate per capita than compared to other surrounding states.

*Note: I am concerned about the low rate of vaccination in Texas, which I do believe will increase cases and deaths, but I don't believe a state-wide removal of a mask mandate will result in more than a miniscule bump.
Depends on what you mean. As someone who does similar growth and trend analyses, "a bump" could be a slower decline at least temporarily. You'd be able to statistically detect it fairly easily, especially because you'll have municipalities that will continue to enforce their own mask mandates. My honest hunch is it's maybe a small increase in about two weeks, but more likely just a slower decline that starts about a week from now and lasts for 2 to 6 weeks. I don't think it will look like a "bump" that's super obvious on graphs because changes in slopes aren't always easy to see like that.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Depends on what you mean. As someone who does similar growth and trend analyses, "a bump" could be a slower decline at least temporarily. You'd be able to statistically detect it fairly easily, especially because you'll have municipalities that will continue to enforce their own mask mandates. My honest hunch is it's maybe a small increase in about two weeks, but more likely just a slower decline that starts about a week from now and lasts for 2 to 6 weeks. I don't think it will look like a "bump" that's super obvious on graphs because changes in slopes aren't always easy to see like that.
My honest hunch is that cases will continue to decline due to the vaccine and that the mask mandate being lifted won't matter a hill o beans. Now IF...someone decides to change the reporting perimeters again then all bets are off...warning opinion...bottom line, we have to open society soon...even IF cases increase...it's been semi closed far far too long.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
My honest hunch is that cases will continue to decline due to the vaccine and that the mask mandate being lifted won't matter a hill o beans. Now IF...someone decides to change the reporting perimeters again then all bets are off...warning opinion...bottom line, we have to open society soon...even IF cases increase...it's been semi closed far far too long.
The problem is that Texas has had one of the worst vaccine rollouts in the country. They're fourth from the bottom and only have first doses in about 14% of their population. Plus, immunity doesn't immediately occur, even in the J&J version, you're waiting 2 to 4 weeks to really see benefits of the vaccine. So, lifting restrictions will likely result in a slower decline that will last until a higher proportion of people have some protection (i.e., are a minimum of two weeks out from their first dose). Still, that decline should resume once you reach the point of immunity from the vaccines and, unfortunately, from the extra cases that are likely to occur. For a variety of reasons, I don't think it will be a massive spike, but for a period of weeks the decline will be slower than it could have been otherwise.

I'll also note you're confounding mark mandates with space and business restrictions. They're overlap some and were all recently lifted, but they aren't the same thing.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The problem is that Texas has had one of the worst vaccine rollouts in the country. They're fourth from the bottom and only have first doses in about 14% of their population. Plus, immunity doesn't immediately occur, even in the J&J version, you're waiting 2 to 4 weeks to really see benefits of the vaccine. So, lifting restrictions will likely result in a slower decline that will last until a higher proportion of people have some protection (i.e., are a minimum of two weeks out from their first dose). Still, that decline should resume once you reach the point of immunity from the vaccines and, unfortunately, from the extra cases that are likely to occur. For a variety of reasons, I don't think it will be a massive spike, but for a period of weeks the decline will be slower than it could have been otherwise.

I'll also note you're confounding mark mandates with space and business restrictions. They're overlap some and were all recently lifted, but they aren't the same thing.
fair post, I don't disagree...I would have held off, but I would have let each city do their own as well...I like how Oklahoma did it...Also, I think Texas got behind on vaccines the last couple of weeks due to their massive weather / power incident and maybe they will catch up hopefully. It's kind of interesting to me that they can't get this vaccine rollout together there considering they seem to be pretty together on other things in the state.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Btw, this pandemic has been a huge mental health crisis as well...I just want to tell each of you that you, no matter your station in life, political leaning, race, sexuality, nationality or any other trait...YOU are immeasurably LOVED and have extreme value by God...don’t let the father of lies tell you otherwise. You have tremendous worth, don’t listen to those who say otherwise. YOU matter.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Don't the cities that already have them get to keep them (i.e. mask mandates)? AND can't cities that don't have them adopt them? I like the way Oklahoma did it better...Not sure which is...Each city and town was able to do it's own mandate or not...(i.e. Tulsa has had one for a long time while BA has not)...I just like more local control when you are taking a state the size of Texas...Dallas doesn't need the same rules as Mafra...just an opinion.
It was hard enough to enforce WITH a mandate from the governor. Good luck after this. It will be a free-for-all. I am not looking forward to it.
Doesn't matter. Being mandates they really had no teeth at all. most places found out pretty quick that the only way to enforce it was at the business level by calling the cops for the person trespassing after being told to leave. The thing that really hurt businesses was when they were told they had to shut down mainly small ones, while places like Walmart and Lowe's got to stay open because they were bigger buildings.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Doesn't matter. Being mandates they really had no teeth at all. most places found out pretty quick that the only way to enforce it was at the business level by calling the cops for the person trespassing after being told to leave. The thing that really hurt businesses was when they were told they had to shut down mainly small ones, while places like Walmart and Lowe's got to stay open because they were bigger buildings.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
My point was that jerks who knew the mandate couldn’t be enforced took advantage already. Once the state mandate is ended, people won’t care what counties or cities say. Gubna said it’s over. My wife already ran into a lady harassing everyone at Kroger saying the pandemic was over because Abbot said so. This was over a week ago when he only had said he would CONSIDER lifting the mandate.

Just because it “had no teeth” doesn’t mean it didn’t matter. It was a signal from Republican leadership. Also, studies show mandates help with compliance. It matters.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
89 million doses of vaccine have been given in the USA as of this am. Hopefully 100 million doses by the end of the week! Go get it, stop looking for excuses and contribute to opening society, being able to throw away your mask in good faith, going back to school, going to the theater, and traveling the world. freely again. Let’s do our part to end this thing! Good day!

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
90 Million doses of vaccine have been administered in the USA...30 Million have received two shots and 60 Million at least one. So 30 million are fully vaccinated and 60 million (1/2 of those with two shots) have at least one shot and some immunity. We keep this up and we will knock this out. Get on board the vaccine train and get your shot to end death, to end the virus spread, to end sickness from Covid, to get people back to work and out of their homes again. It's up to us to do this together. Thank you to those who are contributing to this massive effort!

Another interesting milestone, we have now given TWO complete vaccine shots to more people who have been diagnosed with the virus in the US (roughly 30 million vs 29 million).

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
93 million vaccines given in the USA as of this AM and we are doing over 2 million a day...about 100 million doses will be given by Friday. We have given more than 1.3 million vaccines in Oklahoma alone so far. We are starting to make a big impact on Covid locally and nationally...but we need to continue and increase the pace. Get your shot(s) if you haven't, please. Oklahoma opened phase 3 today...Thank you!

Btw, we WILL (actually already are) be nearing herd immunity by April if we do our part and get our shot.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Also former POTUS Trump and wife got their vaccines under cover back in January this despite them both having had the virus. At CPac he made a plea for everyone to go get vaccinated and claims the vaccine is perhaps the greatest accomplishment of his presidency. He said “it’s Huuuuge.” (I Made the huge part up). Just thought I’d let you know because this news was very sparsely reported if at all. Phase 3 opened in Oklahoma today...ask yourself...is my excuse worth keeping society and travel shut and possibly being one of the reasons we can’t fully open?

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
I'm in Phase 3 and just got my signup email. There were thousands of slots available throughout the state, but nearly none within 30 minutes of either metro area. I signed up for this Friday in Weatherford.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I signed up with Chickasaw Nation last week when they opened theirs to educators and family members. Mine was this morning, so naturally that's when they would decide to open up Phase 3... :facepalm: However, the ease I had registering and getting an appointment made it seem worth the hour drive this morning and not have to use the state portal based on the horror stories I've heard from family and friends up til now. Also, it's a drive thru vaccination and they must have some former Chick-fil-a employees on staff bc that thing was efficient...

I was a little nervous about the drive back but everything was fine. I've had a subtle headache this afternoon and that's it. We'll see what tonight/tomorrow holds though.

Jul 10, 2009
Stillwater, OK
If you or yours have CableOne for an email provider--I know they are around Bartlesville, but not sure where else--I just heard that they have been blocking emails from the state portal. I couldn't figure out why my 81 y/o mother couldn't ever get anything after she registered. She is still not vaccinated.