Covid-19

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I'm truly sorry that you caught COVID and even worse for a second time. I'm praying for a speedy recovery for you.

However, you more so that anyone knows OKLAHOMA didn't get you sick. Everyone has the right to wear as much PPE as they chose
Are you trying to prove my point?

Honestly, at this point, the way I feel right now, you're only going to make me angrier. This has been the worst morning I've had. I can barely walk 3 old man steps before being winded and exhausted and my arms are tired from typing this. I go from burning up, to freezing, to sweating, to cold sweats... and I'm sure I smell horrendous, I'm glad no one is allowed in the house. I haven't been able to get more than a cup of food down at a time since Sunday and my stomach hurts like hell when I do that. I hurt all over and I don't mean just ache, I mean hurt, and my lumbar spine feels like the train returned to finish the job. Then there's the wheezing, coughing, and shortness of breath.

Sep 22, 2011
I have a hypothesis that once the shots are widely available in doctors offices we'll pick up an additional 10-20% of the population. The personal connection between the patients and their GP's is going to be a very valuable tool.
Only 64% of people in their 30s see a GP, 18-24 is probably even lower, and has dropped drastically since covid hit, my intuition is that the people we are talking about not having a vaccine at this point are not currently seeing a GP and have no plans to unless they get sick, at which point they will go to an urgent care or the hospital. The vaccine is currently free, open to same day appointments takes about 29 minutes to get and is 95-99% effective and people are passing on it. What does that tell you about the state of the country right now in rural areas. They dont trust the government, doctors, scientists or rich/people corporations, and would rather take their chances with the virus. Pearl clutching, calling them stupid and shame haven't worked, what does the professional managerial class suggest we do next to convince people that the vaccine is in their beat interests?

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Only 64% of people in their 30s see a GP, 18-24 is probably even lower, and has dropped drastically since covid hit, my intuition is that the people we are talking about not having a vaccine at this point are not currently seeing a GP and have no plans to unless they get sick, at which point they will go to an urgent care or the hospital. The vaccine is currently free, open to same day appointments takes about 29 minutes to get and is 95-99% effective and people are passing on it. What does that tell you about the state of the country right now in rural areas. They dont trust the government, doctors, scientists or rich/people corporations, and would rather take their chances with the virus. Pearl clutching, calling them stupid and shame haven't worked, what does the professional managerial class suggest we do next to convince people that the vaccine is in their beat interests?
It's not just about distrusting the government, media, pharma, etc..... It's that the risk for a relatively healthy, young person living in a rural area is so astronomically small that it may not be worth the inherent risk involved with taking a brand new vaccine. Not sure why you're discounting the possibility that maybe they've considered the risks of both and decided that not getting the vaccine better for them and their families? You have to look at it from their perspective. You're asking why wouldn't they get it. They're asking why would they get it. The risk just isn't big enough to compel them to go get jabbed multiple times and injected with some new substance with no longterm data.

Last edited:

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I have a hypothesis that once the shots are widely available in doctors offices we'll pick up an additional 10-20% of the population. The personal connection between the patients and their GP's is going to be a very valuable tool.
Most doctors offices aren't going to have -20 degree refrigerators for storage.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
As someone who sees what goes on with the extreme on the survivalistboards I'll say there are some who specifically don't trust anything touted by the rich, overly educated, or in power. Not like it used to be where a healthy skepticism said just because "they" say it doesn't make it true. That turned into because "they" say it proves it's false.

You would be amazed how many responded to my defense of the vaccine by bringing up Bill Gates, as if he's the evil force behind the plot to stick tracking chips in them. Then there are others who think the vaccine will work, but with a risk, so they are just waiting for everyone else to get vaccinated.

To some extent, the gubmint brought this upon themselves and the CDC with extreme positions, but the internet has enabled extreme perspectives to find confirmation bias.

I don't know what the answer is but we have to go with the assumption some can't be persuaded and build a strategy around that.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
As someone who sees what goes on with the extreme on the survivalistboards I'll say there are some who specifically don't trust anything touted by the rich, overly educated, or in power. Not like it used to be where a healthy skepticism said just because "they" say it doesn't make it true. That turned into because "they" say it proves it's false.

You would be amazed how many responded to my defense of the vaccine by bringing up Bill Gates, as if he's the evil force behind the plot to stick tracking chips in them. Then there are others who think the vaccine will work, but with a risk, so they are just waiting for everyone else to get vaccinated.

To some extent, the gubmint brought this upon themselves and the CDC with extreme positions, but the internet has enabled extreme perspectives to find confirmation bias.

I don't know what the answer is but we have to go with the assumption some can't be persuaded and build a strategy around that.
I'm definitely of the opinion the power corrupts, and is often used to abuse, coerce, etc... But it's an insane leap to conflate corruption into some coordinated, nefarious "they". I have a few friends that believe the latter, and it always confuses me how they believe it.

Anyone that has spent any time working in almost any government capacity should automatically know that government is generally so inept that a coordinated effort to do anything is almost laughable. Large-scale, long-term, coordinated, nefarious plots would be statistically impossible. I mean....even the NSA couldn't go under the radar. Nor could JSOC... Not saying that crazy things don't happen (they do), but most of these theories are laughable.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'm definitely of the opinion the power corrupts, and is often used to abuse, coerce, etc... But it's an insane leap to conflate corruption into some coordinated, nefarious "they". I have a few friends that believe the latter, and it always confuses me how they believe it.

Anyone that has spent any time working in almost any government capacity should automatically know that government is generally so inept that a coordinated effort to do anything is almost laughable. Large-scale, long-term, coordinated, nefarious plots would be statistically impossible. I mean....even the NSA couldn't go under the radar. Nor could JSOC... Not saying that crazy things don't happen (they do), but most of these theories are laughable.
They think the government is capable of pulling off a David Copperfield slight of hand in front of the whole world on 911. I think the government will take 3 years and lose my paperwork twice when I request an absentee ballot.

Sep 22, 2011
It's not just about distrusting the government, media, pharma, etc..... It's that the risk for a relatively healthy, young person living in a rural area is so astronomically small that it may not be worth the inherent risk involved with taking a brand new vaccine. Not sure why you're discounting the possibility that maybe they've considered the risks of both and decided that not getting the vaccine better for them and their families? You have to look at it from their perspective. You're asking why wouldn't they get it. They're asking why would they get it. The risk jus isn't big enough to compel them to go get jabbed multiple times and injected with some new substance with no longterm data.
Oh I completely agree, as I sit here unable yo get off the couch due to body aches and fever from the vaccine, I am acutely aware that my risk was incredibly low for me as a young healthy person, and the side affects for the vaccine are most likely worse for me that covid would have been or was, i made the choice due to some other considerations but I completely understand their thinking and accept it. However a lot of people out there and on this board dont seem to be able to process how not taking the vaccine might be right for them.

Sep 22, 2011

I dont think bill gates is evil or is trying to implant a chip in you. He is motivated by money though, he would not be a vaccine advocate if he didn’t benefit from it

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
I've been telling people who are hesitant to talk to their doctor about it.

Many people have a tendency to fear the unknown. Personally I think it's cool to be part of something that has the potential to be one of the greatest medical breakthroughs known to man, but I can understand with the misinformation available how some are hesitant. But generally speaking people trust their doctor and getting advice from them will help.

Sep 22, 2011
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/okla...9bec5b672d709819d38?ncid=engmodushpmg00000006
Apologies for the huffpost link but I couldn't find the video on youtube. This is the famous boise city diner interview, where a snarky cnn correspondent tries to shame and insult people into agreeing with him on the vaccine and the diner patrons politely refuse. Just look at it from the perspective of these people, they are living their same lives they were before covid, have a close circle of maybe 40 people they have contact with, they dont travel, and have no reason to take a vaccine right now, because their risk is just that low

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I don't think you and he are using the same definition of normal.

Look at HIV. When it first started, doctors were trying to operate with metal mesh gloves. Many gay people were essentially celibate. A blood transfusion was crazy scary. None of that happens anymore. But, things have never returned to how they once were.
Things will be more normal than they were, obviously. But, it will never be what it was.
Yes. That’s why I specifically said we won’t go back to the “old normal.” Thanks for clarifying and saying it better than I could.

Jan 14, 2006

Can confirm.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I dont think bill gates is evil or is trying to implant a chip in you. He is motivated by money though, he would not be a vaccine advocate if he didn’t benefit from it
But he has nothing to do with my decision process as to the safety and necessity of the vaccine.

I'm a vaccine advocate and my only benefit is to go to build a bear again.

Sep 22, 2011
Man the second shot put me on my butt, sickest I have been since I got strept a few years ago. Fever and body aches kept me in bed all day

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
I have a difficult time believing a guy worth $130 billion, who donates more than $500 million a year, is driven by profit motive. Maybe his benefit is leaving some extra goodwill in his legacy.

Sep 22, 2011
At least you don't go to bed every night wondering if this is the night you die.
Congrats, you win the covid victim olympics, if you feel that way, shouldn’t you be checked into the hospital? Were you wearing a mask at the church event where you think you caught covid? You have been one of the most vocal critics on here of people who were second guessing lockdowns masks and vaccines. What of your choices? Do your actions have any consequences or are you just a victim of the ignorance that surrounds you?