Cowboy Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Younger brother of former Poke Garrett Benge, who's currently with the Red Sox organization. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. He's made a solid jump on the mound recently.

https://twitter.com/carsonbenge13/status/1278063673886547970?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
Kid was absolutely dealing....Hueston Morrill was 1-1 at the plate with a stolen base.
https://twitter.com/LukeSlabaugh/status/1278127649546801152?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfwript

>
I would have loved to see how he developed over the course of a full college season. I’m glad he’s able to get some work in this summer.

PG has him ranked at #7 on the list of college players eligible for the 2022 MLB. Draft.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Looks like our Freshman All-American will be getting some work in the California league. Nice to see them playing considering its one of the best leagues not named Cape Cod for MLB scouts. 2020 JUCO signee Christian Encarnacion is on the team as well. He plays 3B/1B. That 3rd base competition is going to be heavy with him, Jake Thompson, and incoming recruit Nolan McLean. Unless Thompson's glove improves, I wouldn't be surprised to see McLean take the job as a true freshman. Kid would've been a pro if his asking price wasn't too high.

https://twitter.com/SBForesters/status/1278029486680797184?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Looks like our Freshman All-American will be getting some work in the California league. Nice to see them playing considering its one of the best leagues not named Cape Cod for MLB scouts. 2020 JUCO signee Christian Encarnacion is on the team as well. He plays 3B/1B. That 3rd base competition is going to be heavy with him, Jake Thompson, and incoming recruit Nolan McLean. Unless Thompson's glove improves, I wouldn't be surprised to see McLean take the job as a true freshman. Kid would've been a pro if his asking price wasn't too high.

https://twitter.com/SBForesters/status/1278029486680797184?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
I have a feeling MLB may find they really like letting colleges/summer leagues do some of their player development and end up sticking with a 5 or 10 round draft. If so, the level of play in college baseball may soar and position battles like this become commonplace on top teams. If they combine this with moving the college season later in the spring, I could see MLB funding summer leagues and cutting their minor league systems to 2-3 teams/MLB team. This could be phenomenal for college baseball fans.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I have a feeling MLB may find they really like letting colleges/summer leagues do some of their player development and end up sticking with a 5 or 10 round draft. If so, the level of play in college baseball may soar and position battles like this become commonplace on top teams. If they combine this with moving the college season later in the spring, I could see MLB funding summer leagues and cutting their minor league systems to 2-3 teams/MLB team. This could be phenomenal for college baseball fans.
Interesting scenario that somewhat could happen IMO. MLB and MLBPA already agreed to a worse case 20 round scenario for the 2021 draft. Most believe that will be the standard going forward. There’s already approximately 40 minor league teams being cut. This something the commissioner and the owners has been wanting to do for awhile, only the pandemic now gives them the ammo to justify it.

i do believe the MLB values the college game more than ever which is so many have made changes in their draft strategy which has led to more college players being picked. I honestly think you’ll have 3 levels in high A ball, AA, and AAA. I could see Rookie level, A ball, A ball short season being scratched in the near future.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
Interesting scenario that somewhat could happen IMO. MLB and MLBPA already agreed to a worse case 20 round scenario for the 2021 draft. Most believe that will be the standard going forward. There’s already approximately 40 minor league teams being cut. This something the commissioner and the owners has been wanting to do for awhile, only the pandemic now gives them the ammo to justify it.

i do believe the MLB values the college game more than ever which is so many have made changes in their draft strategy which has led to more college players being picked. I honestly think you’ll have 3 levels in high A ball, AA, and AAA. I could see Rookie level, A ball, A ball short season being scratched in the near future.
The product is only going to improve by reducing the number of leagues. Yes, there won't be as many professional opportunities for players, but how many guys make it from low level A ball to the big leagues anyway? Prioritizing college baseball as a step on the path to the big leagues would allow players who won't ever make the bigs (which is the vast majority) to get a college education in the process. The smallest markets who lose their team are going to suffer some, but those teams aren't major revenue drivers, really just a form of local entertainment, which is already dying in most single A (and below) type cities.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
The product is only going to improve by reducing the number of leagues. Yes, there won't be as many professional opportunities for players, but how many guys make it from low level A ball to the big leagues anyway? Prioritizing college baseball as a step on the path to the big leagues would allow players who won't ever make the bigs (which is the vast majority) to get a college education in the process. The smallest markets who lose their team are going to suffer some, but those teams aren't major revenue drivers, really just a form of local entertainment, which is already dying in most single A (and below) type cities.
The only sad thing about is it limits the opportunities and cuts the dream for people who dreamed of making it to big leagues. I do agree it'll provide an "opportunity" to get a college education. They'll be a section of kids that will tell you "school isn't for them" so they'll just head to a JUCO, play well and get drafted in a year. I know people who lived in small towns with minor league teams and honestly they're sad. For those towns, those teams bring the community together, so I understand their frustration. At the end of the day, this all seems about cutting cost, but for a sport that's struggling to promote its game, IMO this doesn't help.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
The only sad thing about is it limits the opportunities and cuts the dream for people who dreamed of making it to big leagues. I do agree it'll provide an "opportunity" to get a college education. They'll be a section of kids that will tell you "school isn't for them" so they'll just head to a JUCO, play well and get drafted in a year. I know people who lived in small towns with minor league teams and honestly they're sad. For those towns, those teams bring the community together, so I understand their frustration. At the end of the day, this all seems about cutting cost, but for a sport that's struggling to promote its game, IMO this doesn't help.
I agree with everything, except for the bolded part. TV is going to drive the growth of the game, not indy ball/minor league teams in small town usa (though I do feel for those places that will lose their team). People across the country love college sports and a large portion have a vested interest in a team. A better college baseball product (which should include moving the season back a month), puts the sport in position to generate substantially better TV contracts in the future, which should vastly increase the amount of televised games. Its kind of a self sustaining cycle for growth at that point. Less minor league teams -> Better players in college -> More TV coverage -> Increased revenue for schools -> Increased scholarship numbers -> More HS kids incentivized to pick college over the pros -> Increased talent level in college ball -> so on, etc.

I feel like college baseball is ready to explode, despite the fact the sport has been stepping on its own dick for basically its entire history. The games are just more fun than MLB, and the shorter season brings an intensity and excitement to every series. Games move much faster, not nearly as much nut scratching between pitches. If the sport would just move forward with changes to benefit all schools, it has a chance to really take off, and not just for 2 weeks in June. If we could just move the season back a month and increase scholarships, college baseball would be positioned to thrive.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
The college game has been fairly healthy for the most part outside of the scholarship situation. I think it’s gotten quality TV time and the competition has been good to very good. I do think pushing the season back a month is beneficial. instead of pitching in the cold for the month. College baseball has the entire month of June, but the opportunity to play in July is intriguing. College World Series is usually the last two weeks of the month.

With all the changes in the draft ,now the opportunity of getting some elite high school prospects on campus. It’ll only heighten the competition, which is great as well. Baseball Is behind football and basketball in terms of fandom IMO. Kids are less interested in playing the sport, 2 star athletes are choosing football or basketball over baseball (mainly football). I don’t think the sky is falling, but baseball needs to find a way to keep their fans and find better ways to promote and grow the game. Enhancing the college game is a step in the right direction.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
If this kid can make a jump with his hitting tool, he'll have a chance to get drafted high. Plus defender with a plus arm, above average runner and can play either MIF positions. His glove is special IMO.

https://twitter.com/TulsaDrillers/status/1280968250122211330?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Here's some 2022 in-state commits

Brennan Phillips LHP from Owasso
Kade Shatwell RHP from Tuttle
Jackson Holliday SS/2B from Stillwater...yes Matt Holliday's son.

https://twitter.com/PhilKerberPBR/status/1281354441539694592?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/LakePointSports/status/1281597611208839168?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/PBRGeorgia/status/1281671002850820097?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/PBRGeorgia/status/1281671263220531201?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Last edited: