1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cowboy Basketball: vs Rapelor

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by jetman, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Sutton4ever

Sutton4ever Cowboy

This team really needs to beat Iowa State at home to keep its confidence. We are 0-3, losing to two top 10 teams and then on the road vs talented team that has played poorly thus far. We are at Kansas after the Iowa State game so we really need this one midweek.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

I try to avoid the term must win, but this sure feels like one.

3. Cimarron

Cimarron It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.

Not necessarily. I suspect they had better athletes (in regards to basketball at least) than we did.

4. Sutton4ever

Sutton4ever Cowboy

This year's Kentucky offense and last year's OSU offense are not very similar in scheme and movement. For one, Kentucky wants to score in the break. Next, they have base continuity that is very much 3out2in, almost like the swinging gate but not quite. They do run some 4out sets that might be seen as dribble drive or weave derivatives, but they did not run the same scheme as OSU a year ago at all.

Now, with that, I think Kentucky's talent could score a lot points with nearly any scheme. So, if your point was it was more about the players than Ford, there is a lot of truth to that. As this current team still struggles to score in the half court. It's Evans shot/assist or bust right now against good defense.

5. andylicious

andylicious Deputy

I
    I did not disparage the kids last year, my point was that it is amazing the difference in them from last year to this year. That was student abuse perpetrated in the name of an awful contract. Sorry I wasn't more clear

6. Cimarron

Yep, from the #2 scoring defense last season to the #10 scoring defense this year.

7. prich1087

prich1087 Wrangler

How important is being the #2 scoring defense when you win 12 game and 3 games in conference?

8. Cimarron

That has nothing to do with my comment.

His original comment was this years team is fatigued more because we are now playing defense. Huh? Last year one of the best defenses in the conference and this year it's ranked dead last.

9. Cimarron

I wasn't necessarily referring to last years Kentucky offense.

10. andylicious

andylicious Deputy

if that was one of the best defenses in the conference then the conference sucked.

11. Cimarron

Our problem last year wasn't hustle, wasn't defense, it was offense. We didn't have any.

12. prich1087

prich1087 Wrangler

It was also defensive rebounding, just like this year. When we really needed stops, we gave up offensive rebounds and it killed us.

13. Cimarron

Didn't help. We ranked # 7 on defensive rebounds but only one other team allowed fewer shots. So on a percentage basis we probably move up to about average in the Big 12.

We simply had no offense. 9th in FG percentage, 2 percentage points below #8

14. prich1087

prich1087 Wrangler

And no team took fewer shots (unless I read the stats wrong). We took the air out of the ball last after Jawun went down because we were so much worse talent wise.

But, all I really care about is progress this year, which I'd like to see more of soon.

What encourages me is I don't think we are doing what hcbu wants us to do yet. I think we may have been doing what the coaches wanted last year.

Sorry for the excessive "we's", I do realize I'm not on the team.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cimarron

We still don't have an inside game.

16. prich1087

prich1087 Wrangler

Signed a 7 foot transfer and I think N'Guessan will be much better next year.