Cowboys (13-14) Lose to #10 Baylor in OT. Pokes are 6-9 in Conference. Series Split. BEDLAM Part 2 on Saturday. 3 games left.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

ArizonaPoke

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 25, 2011
Again, I will mention that I didn’t watch the game. However, there should be no scenario that would allow Ice to have the ball beyond the three point line with the clock winding down. That is a complete failure in terms of putting the team and Ice in a position that will lead to success. We see situations like this too often. Coach has to be on a short leash going forward. You can’t say situationally this happened because the players aren’t motivated because they can’t participate in the tourney. This is a coaching issue. Second game in a row where our offense breaks down at the end of the game. Extremely disappointing that the coach has limited tactical capabilities for game situations like this. This inept approach cannot continue. It isn’t acceptable and Weiberg cannot ignore this trend and needs to step up and take action to initiate a change that addresses these systemic issues.

Dec 9, 2013
It was a double action, Williams, Thompson, Ice all involved not to mention the high screen with Cisse earlier in the play. Then somehow Rondel ended up with the ball? Basketball is hectic.

I like the handoff vs zone tbh, it forces an awkward switch and you don’t end up with the big having the ball if they double the ball handler. Idk, the question to me may be more in the personnel, BWil starting the action when he’s not so smooth with the ball could have cost us an angle, read, or something that’s tough to see there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A handoff would occur 25’ from the rim w the receiving player receiving the ball moving away from the line. With the clock winding down there is little to no chance you get to step into the shot w square shoulders. If you aren’t going to bring a shooter off any sort of double screen, you have to screen the ball and attack the hip of the shooter’s defender w the dribble. If he doesn’t react you have the shot or the screener moving to the rim. If the defender reacts to the drive in the least, the shooter is moving away from him to an open spot to step into the pass for catch and shoot.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
Again, I will mention that I didn’t watch the game. However, there should be no scenario that would allow Ice to have the ball beyond the three point line with the clock winding down. That is a complete failure in terms of putting the team and Ice in a position that will lead to success. We see situations like this too often. Coach has to be on a short leash going forward. You can’t say situationally this happened because the players aren’t motivated because they can’t participate in the tourney. This is a coaching issue. Second game in a row where our offense breaks down at the end of the game. Extremely disappointing that the coach has limited tactical capabilities for game situations like this. This inept approach cannot continue. It isn’t acceptable and Weiberg cannot ignore this trend and needs to step up and take action to initiate a change that addresses these systemic issues.
You didn’t watch the game, so stop commenting on it.

Sep 24, 2011
We can look at the last play, but we lost the usual way. We can’t shoot. We only hit half our free throws. We only hit 26% of our threes. We played good D. We outrebounded Baylor. But you just have to shoot better to win games consistently. We rank below 300 in 3 pt shooting and FT shooting. If Boynton can’t bring in shooters, then nothing will change.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Having played sports (not on a D1 level, but still) I know it's hard to get up for every game, and I'm sure no post season comes in to play; but if we could have the kind of effort we have shown vs Baylor more often we would have a much better record. If we can hold things together this year, maybe we can do some damage next year.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Our two best scorers were each 2-7 from three and are starting forwards were 4-10 from the FT line. One certainty in basketball is that it's tough to win if you can't get the ball through the hoop.

The biggest positive that I saw was 15 assists on 26 made baskets. At least there is some semblance of playing as a team there. If these guys can just improve shooting, there's a chance next season to be good, but I guess that's easier said than done.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
It was a double action, Williams, Thompson, Ice all involved not to mention the high screen with Cisse earlier in the play. Then somehow Rondel ended up with the ball? Basketball is hectic.

I like the handoff vs zone tbh, it forces an awkward switch and you don’t end up with the big having the ball if they double the ball handler. Idk, the question to me may be more in the personnel, BWil starting the action when he’s not so smooth with the ball could have cost us an angle, read, or something that’s tough to see there.

A handoff would occur 25’ from the rim w the receiving player receiving the ball moving away from the line. With the clock winding down there is little to no chance you get to step into the shot w square shoulders. If you aren’t going to bring a shooter off any sort of double screen, you have to screen the ball and attack the hip of the shooter’s defender w the dribble. If he doesn’t react you have the shot or the screener moving to the rim. If the defender reacts to the drive in the least, the shooter is moving away from him to an open spot to step into the pass for catch and shoot.
I don’t think the plan was to get Thompson an open jump shot off the hand off, I think they want him going down hill driving since they trust his floater or ability to do a quick pull up the most on the team… which was important because they knew Thamba was down there playing rim protection.

I think there’s a decent argument that play would have been better suited for ice, ice’s floater game is incredible, he’s got more weight so the defender can’t lean on him, and absolutely unlocks the Bigs as lob threats. Unfortunately, if Ice got stuck he’s got no pull up ability, plus he was straight up gasses from the Herculean effort he was putting up.

OkstateKerr

Federal Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Our two best scorers were each 2-7 from three and are starting forwards were 4-10 from the FT line. One certainty in basketball is that it's tough to win if you can't get the ball through the hoop.

The biggest positive that I saw was 15 assists on 26 made baskets. At least there is some semblance of playing as a team there. If these guys can just improve shooting, there's a chance next season to be good, but I guess that's easier said than done.
I think that was the most baffling part. At the end of regulation, there was some beautiful basketball being played. The ball was moving, they were attacking the middle of the zone, Ice was playing more of a point forward role. Heck, the last shot of regulation wasn't a terrible look, just a bad shot. Then at the end of OT it was three straight possessions of no passes, jack a 3.

Jan 6, 2007
Jackson Hole, WY
Correct. They did not have it up, not sure why. But I agree. They didn’t speak of it.

Just watched the "shot" ESPN video on Pistols Firing site..........ran it back and forth in slow motion 6 times. EVERY time the clock above the basket showed .3 of a second when ball is clearly out of Ice's hands. It was not even close.........WHAT AM I MISSING!!!!

OkstateKerr

Federal Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Just watched the "shot" ESPN video on Pistols Firing site..........ran it back and forth in slow motion 6 times. EVERY time the clock above the basket showed .3 of a second when ball is clearly out of Ice's hands. It was not even close.........WHAT AM I MISSING!!!!
Shot clock hit zero before the ball left his hand. It wasn't shown on the ESPN feed but it was on in the arena. It was like a .7 second difference between shot clock and game clock.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
We possessed the ball down 2 w 13.something and 1 timeout. Ice/Cisse/Walker/Williams/Thompson. Williams casually w no urgency dribbles the ball up and the touches were Williams w a bad pass to Walker who passed to Ice who had to force a 3. WE HAD A TIMEOUT!!!

The young men played hard. Baylor had a kid w a hot hand. We were handicapped from the bench.

During one timeout in a 1 point game late in the second half. Baylor is all huddled up. Everyone on their bench and staff. All listening. We had 2 players on their end of the floor chatting w the ref. The other 3 players are sitting on stools on our end w disbelieving managers while Bonton is by himself by the radio crew getting a drink. This lasted at least 30-45 seconds. The guy next to me started dropping f bombs and had to go out in the lobby.
If that last paragraph is true, I sure hope Weiberg noticed.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

Seems like a trend that we start out and look horrible for more than half the season, then start improving a bit when it's too late and fizzle in the post-season. You always think it indicates momentum, but then it just resets and repeats the following season. Why do we think it would be different next season?

Oct 7, 2012
While the final play deservedly got a lot of scrutiny and criticism, we prolly all agree it should have never gotten to that point. Poor shooting continues to stifle wins.

That said, is that Keiton Page’s job as Director of player development?