Cowgirl Basketball 2020-21 Season

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 21, 2013
Austin Texas
Yes, it is time for a coaching change. I have followed WBB for the past 15 years and I care that our program is going in the wrong direction. We need a HC not only with the expertise to coach, but also with communication skills, energy and dedication, willing to put in the extra effort to turn our program around. We need someone with a commitment to develop the talent we recruit , not just draw a paycheck. We are dying from our HC's complacency. I realize today's athlete has no loyalty, but i have seen too many talented players leave our program over the years. Let's be honest, barring a tragedy, Littell would never have become HC here. There is very little in his resume that would qualify him to be a HC at a D1 program in one of the elite WBB conferences. IMO, there is a real disconnect between the HC and today's players. Unfortunately, I do not believe this is the final year of Littell's contract and I knw a buyout is out of the question. We can only hope a change will be made when the opportunity presents itself. Texas made a change and brought in a new HC, I would expect them to push Baylor for the Big 12 title and to go far in the NCAA's in the next few years. While we might not have the Baylor/Texas level of talent, we should be better than a bottom 4 conference team! In recent years we have lost in the first round of the Big 12 tournament to teams that we swept during the regular season, indicating either the other teams improved more during the year, or that we weren't ready to play in the tournament. Yes, it is time for a HC change.
Fan of Orange - Question, from where you sit, why do we seem to recruit good talent and they seem to play well but then decide to transfer? I marginally follow the women's program but the feeling I get (maybe because the only time I see some info on them it seems like someone is transferring out) is this is happening over and over again. Jim and his staff can get some good players in the door and have them start off well but can't keep them. Thoughts?

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
Fan of Orange - Question, from where you sit, why do we seem to recruit good talent and they seem to play well but then decide to transfer? I marginally follow the women's program but the feeling I get (maybe because the only time I see some info on them it seems like someone is transferring out) is this is happening over and over again. Jim and his staff can get some good players in the door and have them start off well but can't keep them. Thoughts?
I'm sure Braxtin Miller left for Ohio State to be closer to home since she is from Ohio.

Gray left partly because of the coaching change at TT and because her boyfriend is a police officer and some of our players and their "wokeness" drove her off.

Feb 9, 2016
South of OKC
I think there are several contributing factors. IMO, a top problem is that athletes, who are trained to be winners, become frustrated at losing big games they should win, like Bedlam in Stillwater last year, Texas in Stillwater last year, Alabama at home this year. While we play well enough to win games like these, we don't. No one likes to go to the Big 12 tournament as one of the bottom 4 and that is a culture that needs to change. IMO, we also do not do a good job of defining roles for players, we tend to select 1-2 players and have everyone else get them the ball. Soon these support positions just become a revolving door for substitutions. I'm not at practice, but at times am surprised to see who starts and plays in games.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
I think there are several contributing factors. IMO, a top problem is that athletes, who are trained to be winners, become frustrated at losing big games they should win, like Bedlam in Stillwater last year, Texas in Stillwater last year, Alabama at home this year. While we play well enough to win games like these, we don't. No one likes to go to the Big 12 tournament as one of the bottom 4 and that is a culture that needs to change. IMO, we also do not do a good job of defining roles for players, we tend to select 1-2 players and have everyone else get them the ball. Soon these support positions just become a revolving door for substitutions. I'm not at practice, but at times am surprised to see who starts and plays in games.
That Bedlam ending last year was a ridiculous display of coaching.

Oct 24, 2005
Stillwater
For the third game in a row, Oklahoma will suit up only 6 players. They are without three starters due to covid contact tracing: Madi Williams, Mandy Simpson and Tatum Veitenheimer.

They lost star player Ana Llanusa to injury before the season began.

Oklahoma’s six available players are young and lack size:

Tot - 5’3” - Point Guard - Fr.
Robertson - 5’7” - Guard - Jr.
Vann - 5’10” - Guard - Fr.
Gregory - 6’0” - Guard - So.
Scott - 6’2” - Forward - So.
Greer - 6’3” - Forward - Fr.

Tot and Robertson played a full 40 minutes in each of the past two games. OU has been trying to slow games down as much as possible and avoid fouling.

A good team should have no problem blowing out this short-handed OU team.

Oklahoma will have an advantage in coaching. Oklahoma State will have an advantage in size, experience and especially in depth.

Will Coach Littell capitalize on these advantages, push OU out of its comfort zone and run the Sooner Six to the point of exhaustion?

Who knows? We’ve all seen Cowgirl basketball snatch defeat from the jaws of victory too many times at this point.

It’s Bedlam in Norman tonight at 7 on FS Oklahoma.

Oct 24, 2005
Stillwater
For the third game in a row, Oklahoma will suit up only 6 players. They are without three starters due to covid contact tracing: Madi Williams, Mandy Simpson and Tatum Veitenheimer.

They lost star player Ana Llanusa to injury before the season began.

Oklahoma’s six available players are young and lack size:

Tot - 5’3” - Point Guard - Fr.
Robertson - 5’7” - Guard - Jr.
Vann - 5’10” - Guard - Fr.
Gregory - 6’0” - Guard - So.
Scott - 6’2” - Forward - So.
Greer - 6’3” - Forward - Fr.

Tot and Robertson played a full 40 minutes in each of the past two games. OU has been trying to slow games down as much as possible and avoid fouling.

A good team should have no problem blowing out this short-handed OU team.

Oklahoma will have an advantage in coaching. Oklahoma State will have an advantage in size, experience and especially in depth.

Will Coach Littell capitalize on these advantages, push OU out of its comfort zone and run the Sooner Six to the point of exhaustion?

Who knows? We’ve all seen Cowgirl basketball snatch defeat from the jaws of victory too many times at this point.

It’s Bedlam in Norman tonight at 7 on FS Oklahoma.
Mandy Simpson is warming up for OU. So maybe she is available tonight after all.

Apr 14, 2009
Jim is a good coach. I’ve been a season ticket holder for nine years I go to almost every game and even some road games. We would Beat OU tonight even if they had all of their players. Jim owns Sherry Cole check the record.

Oct 26, 2003
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Jim is a good coach. I’ve been a season ticket holder for nine years I go to almost every game and even some road games. We would Beat OU tonight even if they had all of their players. Jim owns Sherry Cole check the record.
Checked the record... After tonight, it's 10-10 in bedlam.. I wouldn't call that "owning" anyone. Especially considering what the Oklahoma program has been the last 5-6 years, if not longer.

Aug 16, 2008
Oklahoma City

First - olderschool is a proven fan of WBB. Therefore I like olderschool. Wished there were more like him that support OSU WBB.

Second - olderschool - hate to correct you but JIm does NOT own Sherry Coale. But I think he has done better against Sherry’s teams than other teams with equal and comparable talent to OU. I will say that.

Third - we could do better than JIm L. for a women’s BB coach. Unfortunately, I have NO confidence that Holder could make a quality hire of improvement in basketball. At anytime. HOlder needs to stay out of basketball hirings and firings while he is AD. Or delegate that responsibility to someone with a basketball clue.

We would be better off probably to keep JIm L. until a change is made at the AD position (unless HOlder allocates that decision to someone with a clue).
((Unless for some reason a bunch of OSU fans start actually caring about WBB. But that won’t happen until we start winning a lot. And we won’t start winning a lot until a change is made (MY opinion). So we’re stuck in neutral.))