Cowgirl Basketball news

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 24, 2005
Stillwater
Assistant coach Richie Henderson is no longer with the Cowgirl program. This past week I heard Oklahoma State had an opening for an assistant position, and noticed he was no longer listed on okstate.com.

That was followed by more bad news this afternoon. Highly rated 2016 guard Amber Ramirez has de-committed from OSU. She's a top 20 player in the class. It seems obvious her de-committment is connected to Henderson's departure.

Also, about a week ago, it was announced (not by OSU) 6'3" soph. Brianne Coffman is transferring to Houston. It was already known last fall that someone would have to leave eventually, because OSU over-signed in the 2015 class.

Oct 26, 2011
Would love for them to go after Coach Crystal Robinson..assistant at TCU. Has an unbelievable name in Oklahoma and a great recruiter..

Oct 24, 2005
Stillwater
Would love for them to go after Coach Crystal Robinson..assistant at TCU. Has an unbelievable name in Oklahoma and a great recruiter..
I agree. I've been saying the same thing since Candi Whitaker left OSU for Texas Tech. Crystal Robinson has had success at every level so far, and she's moved up quickly.

Oct 26, 2003
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Why is Henderson no longer with the program? Better job? Something else?
Not sure. I have not been able to find anything on the internet. There was a tweet saying OSU was looking for an assistant coach. And looking at okstate.com proved to be Henderson was no longer listed as an assistant. Not sure the reasoning, but it is a huge loss especially with the loss of Ramirez.

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
We may never know why he's gone unless another school announces him as an addition to its staff this offseason.
To be fair, that's pretty standard operating procedure for other sports too...and for most schools.

Sorry to hear about Coffman, but unfortunately, it's not that surprising if someone had to get bumped. Her minutes went way down this year, even from the small amount she played last year.

Sucks to hear about Ramirez as well, but then, if the third assistant coach leaving makes her reconsider, it doesn't sound like her desire to come here was all that strong anyway.

Oct 26, 2003
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
To be fair, that's pretty standard operating procedure for other sports too...and for most schools.

Sorry to hear about Coffman, but unfortunately, it's not that surprising if someone had to get bumped. Her minutes went way down this year, even from the small amount she played last year.

Sucks to hear about Ramirez as well, but then, if the third assistant coach leaving makes her reconsider, it doesn't sound like her desire to come here was all that strong anyway.
The real question is why does anyone have to be bumped? Why over-sign in any given recruiting period? And why couldn't it have been Chelf that lost her scholarship? Or Rylie Swanson? Neither of those players had any meaningful contribution to the team this past season.

Henderson was in charge of guards. Ramirez is a guard. It makes sense that she would reconsider after losing the coach that would be primarily responsible for her development. Hopefully we can make a great hire and get back in on Ramirez, not likely but one can dream.

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
The real question is why does anyone have to be bumped? Why over-sign in any given recruiting period? And why couldn't it have been Chelf that lost her scholarship? Or Rylie Swanson? Neither of those players had any meaningful contribution to the team this past season.

Henderson was in charge of guards. Ramirez is a guard. It makes sense that she would reconsider after losing the coach that would be primarily responsible for her development. Hopefully we can make a great hire and get back in on Ramirez, not likely but one can dream.
I agree on oversigning. As for the others, I don't pretend to know the thinking of the coaching staff as to why Coffman is the one who went. But since she played 54 minutes in 10 games last year and dropped to 23 minutes in seven games this year, I am saying I can see there are things that led to that choice.

As for Ramirez, I'll stand with what I said. Henderson may have been a primary instructor, but he wasn't going to be the only person coaching her, and he's been the low man on the staff since he got hired. Guess we'll know if she drops OSU entirely and adds a new school if and when Henderson pops up elsewhere.

RedRoss

Joe Rugby
A/V Subscriber
Jun 10, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Richie was my neighbor at the Avenue East apartments on Hall of Fame (I think it was called Campus Park then) and played some hoops too with him on the complex courts. Nice guy and he even let me and some friends be on the male scout team a few times when I was still in school and he was on the staff.

I don’t know why he is leaving but I imagine it’s for another opportunity and I wish him luck.

msq2

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2009
Richie was my neighbor at the Avenue East apartments on Hall of Fame (I think it was called Campus Park then) and played some hoops too with him on the complex courts. Nice guy and he even let me and some friends be on the male scout team a few times when I was still in school and he was on the staff.

I don’t know why he is leaving but I imagine it’s for another opportunity and I wish him luck.
That place changes it name almost once a year. Wonder what the deal is with that place.

Oct 24, 2005
Stillwater
Now Roshunda Johnson is transferring....

She posted the following message on twitter and Instagram:

"Yesterday i voiced my decision to leave Oklahoma State University. I thank god for letting me experience my first two years at OSU but now its time to exit and continue the road god is making for me..Thank you to the fans,coaches n the teammates for those who was with me.. "Sometimes you are not playing against opponents, your playing against yourself,and the higher standards that you have for yourself.!" "

Jan 21, 2009
Dang it...1st the asst coach, then a top recruit de-commits, and now a two year player is transferring. Plus I'd have to agree with OKpoke...next year would likely be a rebuilding year!

Jul 12, 2004
Stillwater, OK
"Yesterday i voiced my decision to leave Oklahoma State University. I thank god for letting me experience my first two years at OSU but now its time to exit and continue the road god is making for me..Thank you to the fans,coaches n the teammates for those who was with me.. "Sometimes you are not playing against opponents, your playing against yourself,and the higher standards that you have for yourself.!" "

Well that is certainly cryptic. Did she not think she could beat out Patton?

She seemed like a nice person....she certainly fought through the flu to play a couple of games like a champ. Best wishes to her.

Dec 15, 2004
Edmond
Johnson leaving is sort of a big deal........however, I can understand somewhat, as her role as a 2-guard isn't exactly what she had come for.........AND, she was recruited mostly by Serna, and Budke as well.......that's got to be tough for her