Cowgirl Softball Stadium Question

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 4, 2016
florida
I already go to Football, Basketball, Wrestling, Baseball for OSU and go to Thunder and Chiefs games. I watch some softball on TV during championship games. I don’t have time for softball.

From my perspective, Softball is overrated and more of a Club or intramural rather than Bonafide NCAA D1 sport. I played Softball up until my thirties in Church or Work related leagues and you really don’t need much athleticism or skill to be good in softball whereas baseball require high skill level to be good. We had some players who were average to good baseball players on our teams and they basically carried the rest of the team due to their higher skill level of knocking out HR. No doubt some enjoy softball but just not in my ballpark of interest level.
You would last 3 pitches facing Kelly Maxwell. After the first pitch you would be asking yourself how am I going to save face. After pitch 2 you would be hoping she would hit with the next pitch because you know that you have no chance. Pitch 3 would be a swing for the fences cut but Kelly would throw you an off_speed pitch that you would miss by 2 feet. Ignorance is bliss.

OkstateKerr

Federal Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
You would last 3 pitches facing Kelly Maxwell. After the first pitch you would be asking yourself how am I going to save face. After pitch 2 you would be hoping she would hit with the next pitch because you know that you have no chance. Pitch 3 would be a swing for the fences cut but Kelly would throw you an off_speed pitch that you would miss by 2 feet. Ignorance is bliss.
Probably have enough time to swing twice at the second pitch and still miss.

Aug 16, 2012
A big part of the problem is not with what a spectator sees and experiences, but what goes on under the bleachers from team rooms, training areas and utilities. The structure was designed decades ago while team needs have evolved and instead of a renovation to build what is needed, it would end up being a case of building what the structure will allow. Otherwise, it would be cost prohibitive to make all of the modifications while still hoping you meet most of the needs versus starting on paper to ensure you get everything that is needed.

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
I coached HS girls basketball from 2009-2016 (including Lauren Fields) and it changed my perspective on girl's sports entirely. I will say, bad girl's teams are hard to watch (but so are men)--but when its played at a high level, it is great. The most recent sport I've caught on to is softball. Of course, it coincides with more success from the Cowgirl softball program under Coach G. But once I started watching, I became a fan.

I've always loved college baseball, but some of my complaints about baseball are solved by softball. Baseball games can be too long. Softball goes fast. Baseball games can lack energy. Energy is everywhere in softball. Baseball players come and go (even before the portal) based on draft-ability. Pro softball exists, but no one is leaving early to be a part of it.

PistolPete'sMustache

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I'm not sure renovation would be cost effective. If they wanted to build a new softball stadium there, they'd tear it down and start from scratch. Any softball stadium would be about more than seats, but amenities, and just niceness. A full blown renovation and reconfiguration would be equally and possibly more expensive than tear down and start from scratch.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
Of course we need a new stadium, the problem is though everyone needs to eat and there is only so much pie. You don't cut football facility improvements to fund softball, getting everything we need for football especially up until the new TV contract is finalized minus OU/Texas is vital. The majority of football facility needs must be met by then. I think the improvements they did to the current softball stadium is just going to have to last OR softball is going to have to find a donor willing to pay FULL BOAT same with wrestling.
Also I really enjoy softball...minus the chants

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Being old and out of shape, I would probably be an easy out. However, Jake Thompson or even the worst college baseball player most likely would be hitting HR all over the place against a women’s fast ball pitcher. Women’s softball doesn’t interest me and I am glad others enjoy the game.

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
Now living in Stillwater I drive by the softball stadium on my way to the YMCA and back home. Looks like they are constructing another outfield standing bleachers (or sitting??) located just to the north of the scoreboard.

Go Cowgirls !!!

Oct 16, 2003
Enid
Being old and out of shape, I would probably be an easy out. However, Jake Thompson or even the worst college baseball player most likely would be hitting HR all over the place against a women’s fast ball pitcher. Women’s softball doesn’t interest me and I am glad others enjoy the game.
I have seen really good baseball players try to hit against a good softball pitcher. Didn't happen.

Jan 1, 2011
tx
The coach is probably our best coach of all sports, good recruiter, team loves him, great record, if any sport should be rewarded with new facilities it is softball.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
Aug 26, 2004
Do you consider Boone Pickens a hand me down, do you consider the new GIA a hand me down. Both were rebuilt and are among the best in D1.
No I don't. The teams that played in those facilities prior to rebuilt, as you call it, still do. Neither one was vacated by one team and passed on to another team. I think the Cowgirls deserve a whole new Softball Facility.

Sep 29, 2005
NW OKC
www.thomasandcathy.blogspot.com
Other than tennis and golf, I am not a big fan of women's sports. Doesn't mean I don't respect it, recognize the hard work put into it, happy with the success of OSU women's sports. Just means I don't care to watch it. I hate to say this as it can be twisted in a lot of ways. Just being honest. With that said, I absolutely believe OSU softball deserves a new stadium that meets the needs of a growing and popular sport. Just because I don't enjoy watching, doesn't mean I don't recognize what it has become.

Aug 27, 2021
Tulsa
I already go to Football, Basketball, Wrestling, Baseball for OSU and go to Thunder and Chiefs games. I watch some softball on TV during championship games. I don’t have time for softball.

From my perspective, Softball is overrated and more of a Club or intramural rather than Bonafide NCAA D1 sport. I played Softball up until my thirties in Church or Work related leagues and you really don’t need much athleticism or skill to be good in softball whereas baseball require high skill level to be good. We had some players who were average to good baseball players on our teams and they basically carried the rest of the team due to their higher skill level of knocking out HR. No doubt some enjoy softball but just not in my ballpark of interest level.
Slow pitch softball like church is a club/recreational sport and don’t need athleticism or skill to be as good…Fast pitch softball you do. Its very laughable you think otherwise.
Church league softball and fast pitch are not the same sport.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond

LOL. comparing slow pitch, beer league softball to collegiate softball is like comparing a ford pinto to a ferrari.......

Feb 25, 2008
fastpitch softball striking out MLB players.....
I bet MLB players would strikeout fastpitch hitters...

I've been playing slow pitch softball for many many years. I love it when we get the 20 year old baseball players and they strike out trying hit our arching slow pitches. Eventually they become the hard line drive/home run hitters, but it takes time.

It's all about timing.. and it takes a little bit of time to get the timing.

Let a MLB hitter have a spring training to get the timing and I bet he could hit a fastpitch softball pitcher.

Many people post some pretty stupid things on here, but you might just take the cake. Church league is an apt comparison to DI. Okay boomer.