Cowgirl Softball Stadium Question

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 17, 2011
Have you tried watching a game? It’s a sport that will suck you in. There’s a lot more passion and energy in a softball game than a baseball game. Give it a shot. You might be surprised.
This. The games are only 7 innings too which imo is great for the game. The pitchers don't get injured like they do in baseball because of how they throw so you get to see more of them. The passion is better from both fans and players. Also they make crazy plays too. It's such a great sport.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
some of the high school traveling teams only have a couple of pitchers, if one girl gets it going on the mound she can literally pitch all weekend..
I used to watch a lot of men's fastpitch softball in the 1970s an 80s. I saw a lot of guys who got put in the losers bracket pitch 4-5 games the same day, including one who pitched 5 in a row in 100+ degree heat. Good pitchers could make a softball rise or drop 12+ inches from a distance of 46', or curve it either horizontal direction. 7 inning games often lasted less than an hour.

Also, keep in mind that a 70 mph softball pitch gets to home plate as quickly as a 100 mph major league baseball fastball, and they're almost never not breaking one of 4 directions. In one exhibition game in 1967 Eddie Feigner struck out 6 MLB Hall of Famers in a row (Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Brooks Robinson, Roberto Clemente, Maury Wills, and Harmon Killebrew). Struck out. Couldn't put a ball in play.

Fastpitch softball is a great game. I wish there was still big time men's teams/tournaments, but it's almost completely died out due to a lack of great pitching. Back in the early 80s, the last couple times I attended the men's nationals, about half of the really good pitchers were from New Zealand or Australia, because it was a dying sport in the US.

I do enjoy the women's college game, even though it's much more a hitter's game than the men's game was. I can't hardly watch an entire college baseball or MLB game because the pace of play is soooo slow - and I'm a 60-year baseball fan and purist.

sportsfan89

Territorial Marshal
Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
fastpitch softball striking out MLB players.....
I bet MLB players would strikeout fastpitch hitters...

I've been playing slow pitch softball for many many years. I love it when we get the 20 year old baseball players and they strike out trying hit our arching slow pitches. Eventually they become the hard line drive/home run hitters, but it takes time.

It's all about timing.. and it takes a little bit of time to get the timing.

Let a MLB hitter have a spring training to get the timing and I bet he could hit a fastpitch softball pitcher.
No one is saying that if MLB hitters with training can or can’t hit a fastpitch softball player.

One person in here thinks fast pitch softball is overrated and any John Doe can get up there and hit the ball. Others including myself pointed out otherwise.

If a person does not like a particular sport…that fine. We all don’t like the same thing. Don’t say you don’t need skill to play fast pitch. That totally absurd.

Feb 25, 2008
No one is saying that if MLB hitters with training can or can’t hit a fastpitch softball player.

One person in here thinks fast pitch softball is overrated and any John Doe can get up there and hit the ball. Others including myself pointed out otherwise.

If a person does not like a particular sport…that fine. We all don’t like the same thing. Don’t say you don’t need skill to play fast pitch. That totally absurd.
Someone used an example of a MLB striking out to a fastpitch softball player indicating how tough the sport was. In my opinion that is a bad example. I said nothing bad about fastpitch, just that it takes time to learn to hit anything different... including a slow arch pitch softball when you are used to a fast baseball.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
fastpitch softball striking out MLB players.....
I bet MLB players would strikeout fastpitch hitters...

I've been playing slow pitch softball for many many years. I love it when we get the 20 year old baseball players and they strike out trying hit our arching slow pitches. Eventually they become the hard line drive/home run hitters, but it takes time.

It's all about timing.. and it takes a little bit of time to get the timing.

Let a MLB hitter have a spring training to get the timing and I bet he could hit a fastpitch softball pitcher.
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/8DRbirgV95jnSAFiY8" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
https://giphy.com/gifs/swing-and-a-miss-over-your-head-missed-the-point-8DRbirgV95jnSAFiY8
">via GIPHY</a></p>

sportsfan89

Territorial Marshal
Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
Someone used an example of a MLB striking out to a fastpitch softball player indicating how tough the sport was. In my opinion that is a bad example. I said nothing bad about fastpitch, just that it takes time to learn to hit anything different... including a slow arch pitch softball when you are used to a fast baseball.
Actually it is good example when this certain person saying this game is recreational and you do not need skill to play it. And in another post saying the worst college baseball player would be hitting HR all over the place. To me, you did not read this whole thread to see what was said. If some MLB players including the best of the best like Mr. October himself get up there and strike out…does this person really think the worst college baseball player would hit HR all over the place?
Give them training, yeah they can but just put them out there….no.

I looked up the speed between fast pitch and baseball:

Fastball in Softball(43’) at 70 mph is equivalent to 98 mph in baseball. Just a tidbit if anyone want to know

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I used to watch a lot of men's fastpitch softball in the 1970s an 80s. I saw a lot of guys who got put in the losers bracket pitch 4-5 games the same day, including one who pitched 5 in a row in 100+ degree heat. Good pitchers could make a softball rise or drop 12+ inches from a distance of 46', or curve it either horizontal direction. 7 inning games often lasted less than an hour.

Also, keep in mind that a 70 mph softball pitch gets to home plate as quickly as a 100 mph major league baseball fastball, and they're almost never not breaking one of 4 directions. In one exhibition game in 1967 Eddie Feigner struck out 6 MLB Hall of Famers in a row (Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Brooks Robinson, Roberto Clemente, Maury Wills, and Harmon Killebrew). Struck out. Couldn't put a ball in play.

Fastpitch softball is a great game. I wish there was still big time men's teams/tournaments, but it's almost completely died out due to a lack of great pitching. Back in the early 80s, the last couple times I attended the men's nationals, about half of the really good pitchers were from New Zealand or Australia, because it was a dying sport in the US.

I do enjoy the women's college game, even though it's much more a hitter's game than the men's game was. I can't hardly watch an entire college baseball or MLB game because the pace of play is soooo slow - and I'm a 60-year baseball fan and purist.
Maybe Coors will bring back the Silver Bullets??

1648237376020.png

skirtguy

We gotta go!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
May 4, 2008
Stillwater, OK
www.twitter.com
I already go to Football, Basketball, Wrestling, Baseball for OSU and go to Thunder and Chiefs games. I watch some softball on TV during championship games. I don’t have time for softball.

From my perspective, Softball is overrated and more of a Club or intramural rather than Bonafide NCAA D1 sport. I played Softball up until my thirties in Church or Work related leagues and you really don’t need much athleticism or skill to be good in softball whereas baseball require high skill level to be good. We had some players who were average to good baseball players on our teams and they basically carried the rest of the team due to their higher skill level of knocking out HR. No doubt some enjoy softball but just not in my ballpark of interest level.
I'm obviously more of a lurker these days, but wow. Checked in to see if anyone cared about the softball season and was delighted to see this thread.

Then, I came across what has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read in my life. Surely Annie here is just a troll and likes to get people riled up, right? No one can actually believe this. My mind is blown.

On the plus side, my wife got a great laugh when I read this to her last night.

OkstateKerr

Federal Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
I'm obviously more of a lurker these days, but wow. Checked in to see if anyone cared about the softball season and was delighted to see this thread.

Then, I came across what has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read in my life. Surely Annie here is just a troll and likes to get people riled up, right? No one can actually believe this. My mind is blown.

On the plus side, my wife got a great laugh when I read this to her last night.
I agree. This is the first thing that popped into my head when I read that post.
ACCB8557-03F3-420F-970E-3BBD4057FB87.jpeg

Mar 8, 2010
I already go to Football, Basketball, Wrestling, Baseball for OSU and go to Thunder and Chiefs games. I watch some softball on TV during championship games. I don’t have time for softball.

From my perspective, Softball is overrated and more of a Club or intramural rather than Bonafide NCAA D1 sport. I played Softball up until my thirties in Church or Work related leagues and you really don’t need much athleticism or skill to be good in softball whereas baseball require high skill level to be good. We had some players who were average to good baseball players on our teams and they basically carried the rest of the team due to their higher skill level of knocking out HR. No doubt some enjoy softball but just not in my ballpark of interest level.
Wow! I can’t believe what I just read. Did you know that Willie Mays was once struck out by a softball pitcher? Have you ever played fast pitch softball?