CWS Irony...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
The guys at D1Baseball are really showing their colors. The amount of boo hooing on Twitter by them over Mississippi State being knocked out is ridiculous. One of their headlines regarding the game, not Mississippi State’s season, but the actual game, called it a bittersweet win for Louisville..... I doubt Louisville feels that way. They’ve made last nights game completely about MSU not Louisville. That’s just not right. They did the same thing when LSU lost their super regional to Florida State.

They lament certain teams getting knocked out, but crickets when other teams get knocked out.

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
I’ve had no use for Mississippi St. ever since the garbage they pulled on Anthony Blackmon and other OSU players during a regional in Starksville. I doubt you could put together a full set of teeth from their entire home crowd.

I never heard Bill Platt so mad as he was after the final game and we had won the regional. He was absolutely livid about the way the fans acted during the entire regional.

Bunch of hillbillies.

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
I’ve had no use for Mississippi St. ever since the garbage they pulled on Anthony Blackmon and other OSU players during a regional in Starksville. I doubt you could put together a full set of teeth from their entire home crowd.

I never heard Bill Platt so mad as he was after the final game and we had won the regional. He was absolutely livid about the way the fans acted during the entire regional.

Bunch of hillbillies.
Sorry to disagree but Miss St. has one of the most electric atmospheres in all of college baseball. For the funeral crowd of the Big 12 it can be shocking to go to places like Starkville, Baton Rouge, Fayetteville or College Station where the fans are raucous and rowdy. It's all fun and good if you don't have thin skin. Even tech is fun if you don't take them or yourself to seriously. And the irony of calling them hillbilly. Kinda like all Oklahomans live in trailer parks and have meth labs.

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
Sorry to disagree but Miss St. has one of the most electric atmospheres in all of college baseball. For the funeral crowd of the Big 12 it can be shocking to go to places like Starkville, Baton Rouge, Fayetteville or College Station where the fans are raucous and rowdy. It's all fun and good if you don't have thin skin. Even tech is fun if you don't take them or yourself to seriously. And the irony of calling them hillbilly. Kinda like all Oklahomans live in trailer parks and have meth labs.
Raucous and rowdy is one thing but racial slurs and epithets is completely another and that’s what happened in Starksville.

A number of years later my oldest son became good friends with Blackmon and confirmed that what was said to he and other players during that regional was personal, racially motivated and patently offensive and has no place in sports at any level regardless of skin thickness.

And yes, that’s as ignorant hillbilly as any trailer park trash in Norman, Ok.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
Raucous and rowdy is one thing but racial slurs and epithets is completely another and that’s what happened in Starksville.

A number of years later my oldest son became good friends with Blackmon and confirmed that what was said to he and other players during that regional was personal, racially motivated and patently offensive and has no place in sports at any level regardless of skin thickness.

And yes, that’s as ignorant hillbilly as any trailer park trash in Norman, Ok.
Had some nasty, vulgar things hollered at us in Lubbutt but last I checked their dialog didn't hurt me. I think everything is still intact. A few douches don't indict a whole fan base. And I don't think it's just norman that gets that rap. Is it a fair assessment?

OState77

Territorial Marshal
Feb 4, 2004
Had some nasty, vulgar things hollered at us in Lubbutt but last I checked their dialog didn't hurt me. I think everything is still intact. A few douches don't indict a whole fan base. And I don't think it's just norman that gets that rap. Is it a fair assessment?
In the case of Starksville it more than a “few” fans. And while everything is in tact that level of racial and ethnic harassment has no business occurring with a player or fan at a sporting event. The fact the University allowed that type of behavior to continue IS an indictment of it. I would certainly hope that OSU, if it were made aware of similar behavior would give the option of shutting it down or removing the offender. Officials in that regional were made aware of what was going on and chose to do nothing. Their lame excuse was to state that they can’t control the fans. Yes they can, they can have them removed.

And yes there are other places in the state that have ignorant hillbilly types, but certainly their Mecca is in Norman.

Last edited:

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I’m torn, it validates how well we played that they made it to semifinals. I’m also torn on who to root for in the finals. I really like Corbin. But I wouldn’t mind seeing a big time underdog like Michigan win it all.
Man I get the line of thinking but I'm never torn on OU, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, or Iowa losing.

May 29, 2007
Edmond, OK
Fun fact: Josh Holliday was Erik Bakich’s replacement on Corbin’s staff.

Possible fun fact: if Michigan wins the title, that would mean we were 4-0 this year against the national champions of 2018 & 2019.

Fact: that stat doesn’t seem to cheer me up (jealousy).
I was looking at the vandy connection between Backich and Josh. Very clear that Josh was intentional with his stops as an assistant. Set himself up with great connections.

Another fun fact. Both finalists swing Demarini. They make the best bats IMO.

Nov 6, 2010
amen! and the 15-3 final score was glorious!!
Will be interesting to see how Tech survives the graduation of Jung and Warren. Those two in the middle of the lineup were a poor man's/college version of Mantle and Maris. I know every team loses talent every year, but those guys were the heart of that lineup for a while.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Will be interesting to see how Tech survives the graduation of Jung and Warren. Those two in the middle of the lineup were a poor man's/college version of Mantle and Maris. I know every team loses talent every year, but those guys were the heart of that lineup for a while.
And Gabe Holt was one of the toughest outs in the Big 12 I can remember.