Defensive Line - Best Under Gundy?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 21, 2008
I don't think it's quite that clear cut. From what I saw from the Knowles defense, he wanted to have only 3 down lineman, one being a quick pass rusher (Oliver/Ford/Bundage) and then a big DE like Lacy. Then having only 2 true LB's and 5 traditional DB's. Obviously the idea was to get more speed on the field to stop the spread, but then there was one additional guy to be a utility player so to speak. I remember him putting Ford in a MLB position as an example. That guy might be Martin next year, or Ford if he is truly recovered, but I think the key is do we have an anchor in the interior to allow us to get away with this same philosophy without giving up too much in the run game, meaning how much will we miss Antwine.
I meant to say Oliver and Brock or Lacy on the other side. Not all 3 lol I think they move Lacy interior some this year to join evers

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
I'm probably most excited about Trace Ford.

He looked like he was just going to explode into the All-Big 12, maybe All-American tier but injuries derailed him twice. Hopefully that hasn't effected his athleticism.

If he were to hit that ceiling it looked like he once had, OSU could legitimately have two All-American caliber pass rushers - All-Big 12 at least.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Yeah, I'm concerned that he's not going to be at the same level he was.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
I'm probably most excited about Trace Ford.

He looked like he was just going to explode into the All-Big 12, maybe All-American tier but injuries derailed him twice. Hopefully that hasn't effected his athleticism.

If he were to hit that ceiling it looked like he once had, OSU could legitimately have two All-American caliber pass rushers - All-Big 12 at least.

Yeah, I'm concerned that he's not going to be at the same level he was.
Agreed. I've seen rumblings online - from RA, blogs, Twitter, etc. - that "he looks awesome!" but who knows what that's worth.

Consecutive ACL injuries is a big hill to climb.

OkstateKerr

Federal Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Agreed. I've seen rumblings online - from RA, blogs, Twitter, etc. - that "he looks awesome!" but who knows what that's worth.

Consecutive ACL injuries is a big hill to climb.

ACL tears aren’t as career ending as the used to be. It’s concerning that he’s had two but as long as the surgery and rehab was successful there’s no reason to suspect that he’s lost a step

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
I'm not so sure that incoming Freshman DeSean Brown might be able to make a "Colin Oliver" type impact for us. Would not surprise me at all for DeSean to be providing significant minutes to the DL this season.

I'm looking forward to seeing what DeSean can contribute...

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
I'm not so sure that incoming Freshman DeSean Brown might be able to make a "Colin Oliver" type impact for us. Would not surprise me at all for DeSean to be providing significant minutes to the DL this season.

I don't know if there's any snaps available to him.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

Yeah, I when you’re as good as we are at the Edge, I’d be pretty surprised to see real contributions from a freshman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

Injuries happen. See Ford and Martin last year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Yeah, I when you’re as good as we are at the Edge, I’d be pretty surprised to see real contributions from a freshman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get what you're saying, but I'd add that the NIL and transfer portal are going to change coaches' approaches to sitting Freshman. Don't know how much, but it'll impact some decisions that used to be situations where Fr just automatically sit and develop.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I get what you're saying, but I'd add that the NIL and transfer portal are going to change coaches' approaches to sitting Freshman. Don't know how much, but it'll impact some decisions that used to be situations where Fr just automatically sit and develop.
This is absolutely correct. NIL in combination with the portal is going to radically change the way programs are managed. Going forward depth is going to be a luxury for a lot of schools. You are going to continuously have to sell your players on the program and their future. Playing time and practice reps will need to be strategic.

Mar 8, 2010
On paper the line appears to be perhaps the best in our history. This is the main reason I'm excited for this team...that and a returning starter at QB. IF we can fix the OL we are going to be mega stout...just like, or even better, than last year. It will be a mix of veterans and hungry young guns.
For this defensive line to be the best in our history it will have to have three NFL players on it which we had back
On paper the line appears to be perhaps the best in our history. This is the main reason I'm excited for this team...that and a returning starter at QB. IF we can fix the OL we are going to be mega stout...just like, or even better, than last year. It will be a mix of veterans and hungry young guns.
The best defensive line in our history was probably the one we used for goal line stands back in the early 70’s. That one had three NFL players in it when we borrowed John Ward ((Vikings) from the OL, and then added him to regular starters John Little (Jets) and Jerry Sherk (Browns). As I recall that group had a number of successful goal line stands against anyone we faced. Sadly, we
never had an offense in those days!

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
For this defensive line to be the best in our history it will have to have three NFL players on it which we had back

The best defensive line in our history was probably the one we used for goal line stands back in the early 70’s. That one had three NFL players in it when we borrowed John Ward ((Vikings) from the OL, and then added him to regular starters John Little (Jets) and Jerry Sherk (Browns). As I recall that group had a number of successful goal line stands against anyone we faced. Sadly, we
never had an offense in those days!
**raises hand** O'Neal/Washington line is hard to top!

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Does anyone know what to expect from Collin Clay?

I had really high hopes for him when he transferred from Arkansas but the injuries sidelined him. Haven't heard much of anything since.