Demarco Murray = Overrated

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
Man UO just doesn't have a running game. Bradford had to do everything by himself today. 48 Rushing Yards on the day for the sooners. Awful, just awful.

OSU Sig

Federal Marshal
Jan 28, 2005
Edmond
Not a good thing to be so one dimensional. This may haunt them as much as the injury to Reynolds. They seemed very soft without him there.

OSUCherokee

Territorial Marshal
It makes you wonder how in the world the press has been promoting OU's ranking. You just can't put a team in the top 10 that is a one trick pony. You will never win a championship without the duel threat of running and passing game. Defense isn't even part of the equation if the other team's D can stop you by taking away your one trick. They should have never been ranked this high with so many issues at RB and Special Teams. My best guess is that they should be around the 8-15 range.

Jun 1, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I wouldn't say Murray is overrated as much as to say our OLine is not very good at run blocking.

However, I think it is time for OU to slow down the offense and start trying to conserve some of the Defense's energy for the fourth quarter!

OU is doomed for a long long long conference season if we cannot correct some very important aspects of our game!

CowpokeMike

Federal Marshal
Mar 26, 2008
Oklahoma City
he clearly can't recover from torn ACL's as other runningbacks (tosten) i think that is a lot of it, he is still timid about running the ball and getting hurt so he isn't utilizing his skills...i don't think he is overrated though

EmptySeat

Territorial Marshal
Jan 20, 2007
I think everyone underrated Texas. They were tough up front. As a former lineman, I always hate it when backs get the glory when things go well, but linemen get lambasted when they don't. OU's line is very good...for an NFL line. They will put a couple guys in the league. They are big and physical, but they are being asked to block in a no-huddle scheme that they may not have been designed for. They are a pass blocking line, and they do well at that.

I'll remind my Cowboy brethren how that same line blasted gigantic holes in our front seven in Norman last year. We can't let that happen again when they come to Stillwater.

I'll not throw rocks at OU's line 'till ours goes out tonight and hangs 250+ yards rushing on the Tigers. :)

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
I don't mean to pile on to the guy if he's still not healed up. But he definetly looked timid, went down on the 1st contact, didn't drive his feet etc.

Sooners11

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
Aug 1, 2008
he clearly can't recover from torn ACL's as other runningbacks (tosten) i think that is a lot of it, he is still timid about running the ball and getting hurt so he isn't utilizing his skills...i don't think he is overrated though

Splitting hairs here but he actually dislocated his kneecap. They had to repair several tendons as well. Both are nasty, nasty injuries.

I"m not sure how any running back was supposed to run today behind that line against Texas' front 7. There were usually at least 3 UT players in the backfield before Murray even got the ball. Hard to beat that pressure even when 100% healthy, and Murray definitely is not.

JoshOSU420

Athletic Supporter
Aug 12, 2004
OKC
In his defense, I can imagine after a fairly devastating knee injury it would be really hard to get confidence back. It would be hard to make the same cuts and put alot of pressure on it for fear it would get hurt again.

OSU Sig

Federal Marshal
Jan 28, 2005
Edmond
I think everyone underrated Texas. They were tough up front. As a former lineman, I always hate it when backs get the glory when things go well, but linemen get lambasted when they don't. OU's line is very good...for an NFL line. They will put a couple guys in the league. They are big and physical, but they are being asked to block in a no-huddle scheme that they may not have been designed for. They are a pass blocking line, and they do well at that.

I'll remind my Cowboy brethren how that same line blasted gigantic holes in our front seven in Norman last year. We can't let that happen again when they come to Stillwater.

I'll not throw rocks at OU's line 'till ours goes out tonight and hangs 250+ yards rushing on the Tigers. :)
Experience brings wisdom. Good post.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
I wouldn't say Murray is overrated as much as to say our OLine is not very good at run blocking.However, I think it is time for OU to slow down the offense and start trying to conserve some of the Defense's energy for the fourth quarter!

OU is doomed for a long long long conference season if we cannot correct some very important aspects of our game!
This makes no sense to me, how can this be the SAME OL that steamrolled most teams in the run game last year?

Mar 27, 2008
This makes no sense to me, how can this be the SAME OL that steamrolled most teams in the run game last year?
I've wondered the same thing every game this year. But they haven't seemed to block as well, and Murray isn't as explosive as he was last year, combine the two and our run game has suffered

Jan 30, 2008
From Parts Unknown
I actually felt bad for Sam Bradford,he is a class guy But not the O-line . I mean damn, throwing FIVE td's wasn't enough????? PLEASE

If you can throw 5 against any team you should WIN THE GAME.

Maybe the 0u o-line isnt big enough.

Stoops needs to take them to Golden Corral & put a li'l weight on them.

OSU Sig

Federal Marshal
Jan 28, 2005
Edmond
I wouldn't say Murray is overrated as much as to say our OLine is not very good at run blocking.

However, I think it is time for OU to slow down the offense and start trying to conserve some of the Defense's energy for the fourth quarter!

I think this is the answer to the question. They can't run block as well as they should be able to. Empty Seat can speak to this, having been a lineman. This causes a team to become one dimensional which brings on additional problems.

Jun 1, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I think this is the answer to the question. They can't run block as well as they should be able to. Empty Seat can speak to this, having been a lineman. This causes a team to become one dimensional which brings on additional problems.
I was also an Olineman.

You do not find a lot of OLinemen that are solid in both run and pass blocking.

The biggest problem the OU line has, is not all the OL, but the bigger guys have a slow first step and take wrong angles to their blocks when run blocking.

If OU's Oline was slightly smaller and a little more athletic, they would be able to run block just fine.

In way their speed, or lack thereof, effects their pass blocking when playing against smaller faster DLines...see Texas and West Virginia.

When blocking in the trenches as an OL or TE, it is very important to have a fast first step and to take the correct angles to the blocking assignment.

For some reason Loadholt and Robinson are having a tough time earning their accolades this year.

Jun 1, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I actually felt bad for Sam Bradford,he is a class guy But not the O-line . I mean damn, throwing FIVE td's wasn't enough????? PLEASE

If you can throw 5 against any team you should WIN THE GAME.

Maybe the 0u o-line isnt big enough.

Stoops needs to take them to Golden Corral & put a li'l weight on them.
Ummmm...credit the OLine in giving Bradford time to throw 5 TDs.

The major problem for OU against Teas was the fact that Texas had OU's defense on the field for damn near 15 minutes (1 quarter) longer then OU's offense!

Why? It was not the passing game of OU. It was the inability to run the ball to control the clock. And some of it was due to the fact that the No huddle scores so fast it keeps your defense on the field longer.