Derek Chauvin verdict

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
America needs to end qualified immunity for law enforcement. It’s the same as a get out of jail free card in the game monopoly.
Another thing that needs to be done is any time there is a traffic accident or a shooting episode with a law-enforcement officer they should Immediately be drug tested and alcohol tested just like the rest of us. At this point in time they are not.
They should also have to follow the same traffic laws unless they are responding to an emergency and other common decency laws. We have a different set of rules for them.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I am not disagreeing with you. There absolutely should be discussions as to how to better de-escalate. But as the reaction from trolls like @olderschool show, facts don’t matter for some people. The fact of the matter is that is it EXTREMELY rare for a police officer to kill an unarmed civilian.

But our media tells us otherwise. A poll released three weeks ago showed that 8 of 10 African Americans and 6 of 10 white liberals think more black people die from police shootings annually than automobile accidents! Think about that. Our young people are being led to believe fake facts and are fearful of police.
I would wager that the music industry has done infinitely more than any media outlet ever will to influence people over the last 3 decades toward a distrust of police

Music made us talk about policing issues

Video cameras everywhere seem to be backing up what some of those musicians have been telling us for decades

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
They should also have to follow the same traffic laws unless they are responding to an emergency and other common decency laws. We have a different set of rules for them.
A friend of mine is a police officer in Australia. She drives 5 under most of the time and says it would be a horrible embarrassment and probably hurt her career if she got a speeding ticket.

Our policemen are showing us that they think that tickets for speeding are a tax and not a safety measure by ignoring it themselves.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
A friend of mine is a police officer in Australia. She drives 5 under most of the time and says it would be a horrible embarrassment and probably hurt her career if she got a speeding ticket.

Our policemen are showing us that they think that tickets for speeding are a tax and not a safety measure by ignoring it themselves.
She needs to contact the OHP and Canadian County Sheriffs Office and offer to do staff training

Sep 22, 2011
I am glad it was a guilty verdict, but some of the sentiments on here are a little alarming. Consider the public that the police are having to deal with on a daily basis. Armed, inebriated, intoxicated, entitled, voilent, mentally ill, paranoid, or any combination of these, or just a normal interaction, its a roll of the dice every time they respond to a call or pull someone over. If you haven’t yet, please get on YouTube and search police activity, it shows the good, bad and ugly police incidents, it will give you a different perspective on what police have to deal with. Also, anyone who says that there are ways to disarm someone without shooting them has no experience with violence, a person with a knife/bludgeon or even unarmed charging at you is a threat to your life, especially when you are armed yourself.

Sep 3, 2010
There is a real problem with policing in this country..just as you point out how many people are killed every year by police... regardless of color

The simple fact that most officers carry their lethal force tools on their dominant sides shows that non lethal force is secondary to lethal force tools from the start of their training
375 million interactions between police and civilians each year and , in 2019, they shot around a thousand most of whom were armed. Try doing something 375 million times and expect to get it right every single time. We don’t have a police problem and frankly I’m amazed at the job that they do. Systemic racism is a myth that has been proven wrong statistically over and over but that doesn’t fit the race peddlers narrative. They convicted a bad cop today and if one does an honest assessment you will find that that bad ones almost always do get convicted. The politicians are selling it hard because they know it keeps us divided and secures the minority vote for the Dems. We never https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-my...11591119883?reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I am glad it was a guilty verdict, but some of the sentiments on here are a little alarming. Consider the public that the police are having to deal with on a daily basis. Armed, inebriated, intoxicated, entitled, voilent, mentally ill, paranoid, or any combination of these, or just a normal interaction, its a roll of the dice every time they respond to a call or pull someone over. If you haven’t yet, please get on YouTube and search police activity, it shows the good, bad and ugly police incidents, it will give you a different perspective on what police have to deal with. Also, anyone who says that there are ways to disarm someone without shooting them has no experience with violence, a person with a knife/bludgeon or even unarmed charging at you is a threat to your life, especially when you are armed yourself.
This is simply, horrifically false and dangerous. It absolutely can be done and is done.

Oct 29, 2016
US
375 million interactions between police and civilians each year and , in 2019, they shot around a thousand most of whom were armed. Try doing something 375 million times and expect to get it right every single time. We don’t have a police problem and frankly I’m amazed at the job that they do. Systemic racism is a myth that has been proven wrong statistically over and over but that doesn’t fit the race peddlers narrative. They convicted a bad cop today and if one does an honest assessment you will find that that bad ones almost always do get convicted. The politicians are selling it hard because they know it keeps us divided and secures the minority vote for the Dems. We never https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-my...11591119883?reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink
When it comes to the legal and policing system, you better get it right every single time. If I screwed up at my job even one time, I would not be re-elected to the board. Tens of thousands of impoverished Oklahoma children depend on me to not screw up even once. And I take my job extremely seriously.. and I adhere to self-imposed responsibility far and away beyond the norm. If a child died because of a mistake I made (I've not made one mistake), I would accept the consequences, because I accepted the pinnacle in responsibility my job requires.

Your post is absolute nonsense. Not one US citizen should ever accept mistakes made by the legal and policing system. Never. Ever. What if that mistake happened to you, or a loved one? You better believe you would want to hold someone responsible for their mistake. If you didn't, I would seriously question what in the world would be wrong with you.

Mar 11, 2006
Sep 22, 2011
This is simply, horrifically false and dangerous. It absolutely can be done and is done.
https://youtu.be/LDWcqxqADwM

tell me how this guy should have been disarmed or this guy
https://youtu.be/HMO7HxGnCgo

or this guy
https://youtu.be/AuXDHL50dcw

Its really easy to say cops should be better at disarming people, it reveals massive naivety about the reality of violence.

Sep 3, 2010
When it comes to the legal and policing system, you better get it right every single time. If I screwed up at my job even one time, I would not be re-elected to the board. Tens of thousands of impoverished Oklahoma children depend on me to not screw up even once. And I take my job extremely seriously.. and I adhere to self-imposed responsibility far and away beyond the norm. If a child died because of a mistake I made (I've not made one mistake), I would accept the consequences, because I accepted the pinnacle in responsibility my job requires.

Your post is absolute nonsense. Not one US citizen should ever accept mistakes made by the legal and policing system. Never. Ever. What if that mistake happened to you, or a loved one? You better believe you would want to hold someone responsible for their mistake. If you didn't, I would seriously question what in the world would be wrong with you.
Now imagine that your clients are pulling guns and knives on you and try to run over you with a car. Now do it 375 million times every year. When they make a mistake they are held accountable as we saw today. The truth is that if you don’t play stupid games you don’t win stupid prizes. Nobody wants to talk about the fact that if George wasn’t breaking the the law the bad cop wouldn’t have been there in the first place. Accountability goes both ways. What a ridiculous post.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
https://youtu.be/LDWcqxqADwM

tell me how this guy should have been disarmed or this guy
https://youtu.be/HMO7HxGnCgo

or this guy
https://youtu.be/AuXDHL50dcw

Its really easy to say cops should be better at disarming people, it reveals massive naivety about the reality of violence.
Other than the fact that we do it all the time.
NOBODY said it can be done every time so your videos and @cableok 's examples are pointless. Like saying that not all cars crash then having someone post videos of car crashes. But, your claim was that there are not ways to do it without shooting them and that is so over the top bad I can't believe someone actually said it. And, no, I am not naive. I have done it. What have you done?

Oct 30, 2007
If you studied what happened closely, you know that Chauvin deserved to be convicted. He was justified in using the neck restraint, but only while Floyd was actively resisting. There was no justification for him to hold the neck restraint for over 9 minutes. I'm not sure if his actions rose to the level of 2nd degree murder, but I'm glad that he's going to prison.

Sep 22, 2011
Other than the fact that we do it all the time.
NOBODY said it can be done every time so your videos and @cableok 's examples are pointless. Like saying that not all cars crash then having someone post videos of car crashes. But, your claim was that there are not ways to do it without shooting them and that is so over the top bad I can't believe someone actually said it. And, no, I am not naive. I have done it. What have you done?
Can it be done? In certain situations, yes, but if someone is charging you with a knife and you have a gun what is your first instinct going to be?

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
The only certainty is that George Floyd wouldn't have died in the presence of Derek Chauvin if he hadn't met Derek Chauvin.
“Sign the original forms and initial the carbon copies or if you want you can initial the originals and sign the carbon copies and then you'd have to sign this form saying you signed where you should have initialed.”

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Can it be done? In certain situations, yes, but if someone is charging you with a knife and you have a gun what is your first instinct going to be?
In that very specific situation typically you would need to shoot them.

But, that is FAR different than your original broad statement.

Mar 11, 2006
In that very specific situation typically you would need to shoot them.

But, that is FAR different than your original broad statement.
I read the same thing you did and your interpretation of what he was saying was WAY different.

We should train our officers to use force only when necessary and lethal force only in the last resort. Errors will still be made (Daunte Wright), but too many people nationwide and even several on this board perpetuate the false narrative that this happens a lot and that police are killing lots of unarmed people. That is simply not true. Again, not saying one is not too many, but instances like Floyd are extremely rare.