Derek Chauvin verdict

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 22, 2011
In that very specific situation typically you would need to shoot them.

But, that is FAR different than your original broad statement.
It was in response to the sentiments that we have a huge problem with police being eager to shoot people. My point is that people are very quick to judge police without knowing just how difficult the choices they have to make in a split second are

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
How many of you know how many white people where killed by cops last year (btw, it's over 500)? How many of you know a single one of their names? How many people overseas know this fact? Point being, I just hate it that the world thinks we are falsely a bunch of racist when it's mostly a false narrative. That being said, I'm glad they convicted in this case as I think that was the right thing to do for sure, based on the case and the ramifications if they didn't. It means that the city won't burn and innocents won't be harmed. Good job on that part of "justice."
blacks are killed at double the rate as whites per population percentage...I agree with the chauvin conviction as well...

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
blacks are killed at double the rate as whites per population percentage...I agree with the chauvin conviction as well...
Those anonymous statistics you reference, what say they about the race of those who killed the blacks? Because we know the answer when it comes to places like Chicago, NYC, and Oakland.

Sep 3, 2010
Yes, blacks represent only 13% of the population yet commit 53% of all homicides and about 60% of all robberies. A police officer is 18 times more likely to be murdered by a black male than an unarmed black male is to be killed by a police officer per the Washington Post database.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Can it be done? In certain situations, yes, but if someone is charging you with a knife and you have a gun what is your first instinct going to be?
What you are trained very skillfully to do....right now officers are trained to shoot in this situation. Too bad they also only shoot lethal rounds in these split second situations....instead of being trained to shoot but using a tool that has less than lethal rounds

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Yes, blacks represent only 13% of the population yet commit 53% of all homicides and about 60% of all robberies. A police officer is 18 times more likely to be murdered by a black male than an unarmed black male is to be killed by a police officer per the Washington Post database.
Why?

Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
How many of you know how many white people where killed by cops last year (btw, it's over 500)? How many of you know a single one of their names? How many people overseas know this fact? Point being, I just hate it that the world thinks we are falsely a bunch of racist when it's mostly a false narrative. That being said, I'm glad they convicted in this case as I think that was the right thing to do for sure, based on the case and the ramifications if they didn't. It means that the city won't burn and innocents won't be harmed. Good job on that part of "justice."

Not last year but in 2019. Jared Lackey a white male in Southern Oklahoma when he was tased a total 53 times within 3 minute span. Plus was put in a chokehold for 40 seconds.

https://www.kxii.com/2020/07/14/video-shows-two-wilson-police-officers-tasing-man-who-later-died/

might not be actually what you want on naming one but this young man went to school with my nephews.

Just watch the video will make a person cringe. This is just as bad as what happen with George Floyd

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
Not last year but in 2019. Jared Lackey a white male in Southern Oklahoma when he was tased a total 53 times within 3 minute span. Plus was put in a chokehold for 40 seconds.

https://www.kxii.com/2020/07/14/video-shows-two-wilson-police-officers-tasing-man-who-later-died/

might not be actually what you want on naming one but this young man went to school with my nephews.

Just watch the video will make a person cringe. This is just as bad as what happen with George Floyd
https://youtu.be/fmN93TyoCmE

Sep 22, 2011
ohhhhhhhhhh....didn't know that....thanks for educating me....go back to your white privilege...
What you are trained very skillfully to do....right now officers are trained to shoot in this situation. Too bad they also only shoot lethal rounds in these split second situations....instead of being trained to shoot but using a tool that has less than lethal rounds
Tasers/rubber bullets often don't work, very few people on this planet are skilled enough to execute disarmament when being charged with a weapon, you also dont know who is charging at you, military, Trained fighter, hopped up on PCP, committing suicide by cop? Police have to first protect themselves and others around them. Once again these decisions are typically made in the blink of an eye. Sometimes they are criminal and they have to be prosecuted, but I believe that 90%+ of police killings are against armed people and a high percentage of killings of unarmed people are still justified because they are charging or fighting police.

All people need to be educated, if you fight police, there is a chance you end up dead. Comply, if they are wrong sue the dog piss out of them, but comply and get through it alive first.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
A friend of mine is a police officer in Australia. She drives 5 under most of the time and says it would be a horrible embarrassment and probably hurt her career if she got a speeding ticket.

Our policemen are showing us that they think that tickets for speeding are a tax and not a safety measure by ignoring it themselves.
While I agree with your overall sentiment here the speed limits kinda are a tax in some instances and a safety measure in others depending on the geography of the area being limited. Of course this is a very minor and insignificant point. Officers should be embarrassed and reprimanded/charged if they break the laws they are suppose to enforce.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Tasers/rubber bullets often don't work, very few people on this planet are skilled enough to execute disarmament when being charged with a weapon, you also dont know who is charging at you, military, Trained fighter, hopped up on PCP, committing suicide by cop? Police have to first protect themselves and others around them. Once again these decisions are typically made in the blink of an eye. Sometimes they are criminal and they have to be prosecuted, but I believe that 90%+ of police killings are against armed people and a high percentage of killings of unarmed people are still justified because they are charging or fighting police.

All people need to be educated, if you fight police, there is a chance you end up dead. Comply, if they are wrong sue the dog piss out of them, but comply and get through it alive first.
My argument is the the ONLY tool police are trained to reach for in these cases is a tool whos only job when used is to maim or kill.

I'm not saying that people aren't still going to die at the hands of the police. Of course that is going to happen.

I just wonder why the first tool used in this situation is lethal...why is the policing primary weapon of protection only have an option of lethal if used.

If the primary tool given to do a job is a tool that success of the tools effectiveness is measured by the amount of injury, maiming or death it causes... and this is your primary tool in a job that is high stress, high confrontation, and job requiring split second decision making....the only outcome you should expect is multiple deaths....regardless of the variance in situations.

If your given tools that cause death as your primary tool, then your most likely outcome of escalating conflict is death.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
This is simply, horrifically false and dangerous. It absolutely can be done and is done.
"Also, anyone who says that there are ways to disarm someone without shooting them has no experience with violence, a person with a knife/bludgeon or even unarmed charging at you is a threat to your life, especially when you are armed yourself."

You, as a private citizen, would be authorized to use lethal force if you were attacked by a person with a knife/bludgeon/gun and in many situations an unarmed rushing at you threatening your life. It's called self defense.

Why should police officers be judged by a different standard. I have no problem with removing qualified immunity for law enforcement. I do have a problem with the notion that they have to meet force against them that can potentially cause death or great bodily harm with the exact level of force they are given.

Someone comes at my wife with a knife while she is on duty, I want her to shoot him/her as quickly as possible.

Final note: This does not justify the excessive use of force against those that do not pose a threat to an officer even if presently armed. Those, however, are very fact intensive split second judgment calls by an officer that are subject to Monday morning quarterbacking by people that can put those officers in prison.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
When I said I didn't really see racism in a little cartoon character with Asian features and traditional Asian things (chopsticks and a coolie) the thread got so emotional someone told me I could fuck right off. The same words were used when I agreed that Maxine Waters was a racist.

We're miles away from being able to discuss this honestly and unemotionally on this site or in our country, This problem isn't going away.