Derek Mason hired as DC

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
So I assume he is going to coach LB's as well, which will be something new for him. Not saying he can't do it, just saying that's the only concern because he sounds like a good hire as DC.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
AU Family recon:

Apparently Auburn also has a legit CB coach, by the name of Zac Etheridge. Etheridge and Doug Belk have worked together in previous stops, and Etheridge is rumored to be interested in following Mason or joining back with Belk on Miami's new staff. This suggests that we beat-out the U for Mason, and the U is now going down the list and targeting Belk.

Evidently this was Mason's digs in Auburn, although he never moved his family out of Nashville: https://www.thewhatleyauburn.com/

Auburn has also seen a mass exodus through the Portal. Seems likely that more players could follow Mason to Stillwater now that it's official. No source on that, just my hunch from observing what Auburn is going through.

Nov 18, 2010
If all goes right, he'll be an FBS head coach again after a year or two, which is a good thing.
View attachment 94356
I looked up Vanderbilt's record while he was HC there. They did not have a winning record in any of his 7 seasons as HC.
His Vanderbilt team finished 3-9 and 0-8 in his last two years as HC.
Auburn didn't exactly have a banner year this year with him as DC.

Going to wait to see how we do before I get too excited.