Derek Mason hired as DC

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 2, 2008
SC
I looked up Vanderbilt's record while he was HC there. They did not have a winning record in any of his 7 seasons as HC.
His Vanderbilt team finished 3-9 and 0-8 in his last two years as HC.
Auburn didn't exactly have a banner year this year with him as DC.

Going to wait to see how we do before I get too excited.
1643255052608.gif

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Amazing hire. Will we be running a 4-2-5? I don’t think we have the linebacker depth for anything else
RA reported today that they intend to keep the same system and terminology. They want to have the same continuity on defense that they've had on offense over the past decade. Hopefully the players won't miss a beat in the transition from Knowles to Mason.

Mar 30, 2005
7 Island Suite
I looked up Vanderbilt's record while he was HC there. They did not have a winning record in any of his 7 seasons as HC.

Vandy is a Group of 5 school in the SEC. The fact he took them to two bowls and beat Tennessee three straight is commendable.

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok

That's at Vanderbilt. He's the third winningest coach in their history. He took them to 2 of their 9 bowls in their entire history.

But he's not here to be the head coach, he's here to coach defense, which he's proven to be very good at.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa

I am excited about the hire, that being said, I think that a bit of a regression is to be expected.

In 2018 the great Jim Knowles gave up 30+ points to EVERY Big12 team except KU (24) and 40+ points in 4 of those.

Several things lined up that made the 2021 defense so special.

A roster full of experienced talent
A couple surprise contributors
Vocal leaders on the field (MR)
No offensive powerhouse’s in the conference
An experienced play caller that made good adjustments.

We lost some key contributors but we’re getting some studs back and will have plenty of experience. It’s nice to have an experienced DC to call the shots! Many regard him as a great DC.

Nov 18, 2010
That's at Vanderbilt. He's the third winningest coach in their history. He took the to 2 of their 9 bowls in their entire history.

But he's not here to be the head coach, he's here to coach defense, which he's proven to be very good at.
Fair point. From that video clip, he looks like a high charisma guy and I bet the players will love him.
That said, bar got set pretty high last year.

Mar 31, 2011
We’ll be running Knowles defense with Knowles terminology. Mason will have to get up to speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As legend has it, Weeden helped Monken learn the Holgorsen offense, which he then tweaked. I think OSU has a plethora of players that can play that role this time around as well.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
My only concern is his propensity to switch jobs quite often. Based on his history, we'll probably have him for two years, tops.
OK with that.

Come in and give new perspectives to our D and give extra years to our internal staffs an extra 2 or 3 yrs of maturity. After 2 or 3 yrs it would be JBC promoted as DC and Greg Richmond as the DL coach.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
AU Family recon:

Apparently Auburn also has a legit CB coach, by the name of Zac Etheridge. Etheridge and Doug Belk have worked together in previous stops, and Etheridge is rumored to be interested in following Mason or joining back with Belk on Miami's new staff. This suggests that we beat-out the U for Mason, and the U is now going down the list and targeting Belk.

Evidently this was Mason's digs in Auburn, although he never moved his family out of Nashville: https://www.thewhatleyauburn.com/

Auburn has also seen a mass exodus through the Portal. Seems likely that more players could follow Mason to Stillwater now that it's official. No source on that, just my hunch from observing what Auburn is going through.
I kind of doubt it since it’s being reported that we’re going to keep all position coaches and Duffie has been maybe our best our best one anyway. I’m honestly curious how this staff is going to shape up because they still need someone to coach LB and Mason is primarily a DB guy. There may be some shuffling.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Vanderbilt and Colorado are similar; universities that view football as a nuisance.
Until the coach leaves.... According to every vandy person I see, he must have been the worst coach ever and no one liked him, AND they were a powerhouse without him...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jan 14, 2006
I kind of doubt it since it’s being reported that we’re going to keep all position coaches and Duffie has been maybe our best our best one anyway. I’m honestly curious how this staff is going to shape up because they still need someone to coach LB and Mason is primarily a DB guy. There may be some shuffling.

Gundy mentioned it a while back that Knowles didn't actually coach the LBs, Koy McFarland did and Eachus before him. Obviously, all of them are gone so the problem remains but I thought it was interesting how we had been doing it.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
With some great, ambitious position coaches already in place, and how expensive we know Derek Mason will be, I think it actually becomes an added perk that Mason is likely here for 3-4 years tops. Come here, give it all you got, mentor the younger staff, help us build this thing up, and let us (Gundy) know how we can support your career and anything you want to do. The great thing about someone as established as Mason is they could give a rat's ass about job security, so they won't be playing politics with the staff. I do think he will work especially well with Gundy.

Oct 29, 2016
US
He's been a DC for just one time and one year?! Hmm. You'd figure that Gundy would hire someone with much more experience on the defensive side of ball. And his one year tenure at Auburn is the first time he coached on the defensive side? I'm cautiously optimistic.

Jun 16, 2008
Maryland
He's been a DC for just one time and one year?! Hmm. You'd figure that Gundy would hire someone with much more experience on the defensive side of ball. And his one year tenure at Auburn is the first time he coached on the defensive side? I'm cautiously optimistic.
Not sure if serious..?
He was also DC at Stanford from 2011-2014 if I got the years right.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
No. He was DC at Stanford from 11-13. Also he ran the defense while he was a HC at Vandy. He was the HC/DC.. called defensive plays.