DeSantis thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/05/desantis-florida-supreme-court-00050097

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Gov. Ron DeSantis on Friday appointed Renatha Francis to a vacant seat on Florida Supreme Court, a move that comes two years after her initial appointment to the high court fell through because she did not meet minimum constitutional requirements.

DeSantis tapped Francis to replace Justice Alan Lawson, who is retiring at the end of the month 14 years ahead of Florida’s mandatory retirement age for judges, which is 75. Frances was among six applicants sent to DeSantis by an advisory panel who interviewed potential Lawson replacements. She was long viewed as the heavy favorite to secure the appointment because DeSantis had tried to appoint her just two years earlier.

Mar 11, 2006
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/05/desantis-florida-supreme-court-00050097

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Gov. Ron DeSantis on Friday appointed Renatha Francis to a vacant seat on Florida Supreme Court, a move that comes two years after her initial appointment to the high court fell through because she did not meet minimum constitutional requirements.

DeSantis tapped Francis to replace Justice Alan Lawson, who is retiring at the end of the month 14 years ahead of Florida’s mandatory retirement age for judges, which is 75. Frances was among six applicants sent to DeSantis by an advisory panel who interviewed potential Lawson replacements. She was long viewed as the heavy favorite to secure the appointment because DeSantis had tried to appoint her just two years earlier.
Good for her.

May 31, 2007
Concord

Wow Jamaican born. That’s very cool. What an inspiration.

Oct 29, 2016
US
I am thoroughly convinced that around 50-ish percent of voters should permanently lose their voting privilege. How do people like Ron, Stitt, Trump, etc, win their election? How? HOW? I simply cannot comprehend how it's possible. The world laughs and mocks the stupidity of our elected officials. What a disgrace this country's government has become.

Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma
I am thoroughly convinced that around 50-ish percent of voters should permanently lose their voting privilege. How do people like Ron, Stitt, Trump, etc, win their election? How? HOW? I simply cannot comprehend how it's possible. The world laughs and mocks the stupidity of our elected officials. What a disgrace this country's government has become.
Did you forget the democrats control the legislative and executive branches? Are Ron Stitt and Trump Democrats?

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
This seem a little witch hunty to anyone?
Plus, you would have to put aside the fact that we the voters of Florida voted to make it legal for convicted felons to vote. The Republican legislature here just doesn't like to be told what to do by the actual people. So they put into place a modern poll tax instead.

In the end it is just more grandstanding by the guy with the biggest case of "little man syndrome" that you will ever see. Plus, just an absolute putz.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Plus, you would have to put aside the fact that we the voters of Florida voted to make it legal for convicted felons to vote. The Republican legislature here just doesn't like to be told what to do by the actual people. So they put into place a modern poll tax instead.

In the end it is just more grandstanding by the guy with the biggest case of "little man syndrome" that you will ever see. Plus, just an absolute putz.
I guess Florida voters didn't vote to make it legal for all felons to vote ...just some ??

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/florida-gov-ron-desantis-election-police-force-arrests-voter-fraud/
Republican Florida Governor Ron DeSantis announced that 20 people who voted in the 2020 election will be arrested and charged Thursday for breaking the state's election laws on felon voting rights.

The move was described as the "opening salvo" for the Office of Election Crimes and Security, created by DeSantis and approved by the Florida Legislature. Some fear the office could discourage minorities and other communities from voting. The office began its work on July 1.

DeSantis said the twenty people arrested were all convicted for either murder or sexual assault and were mostly from Miami-Dade and Broward Counties. He added they were not among those whose voting rights were restored by "Amendment 4," a ballot measure that overwhelmingly passed in 2018 which restores voting rights to felons in the state, with the exception of those convicted of rape or murder.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
I guess Florida voters didn't vote to make it legal for all felons to vote ...just some ??
Just most, but not all. However, nowhere near the number who should of had their rights restored, have actually been given the right to vote again. The bill didn’t say anything about paying all fees. Sure as hell didn’t mention paying exorbitant fees that they may never be able to pay.

If Duhsantis found 20 muderers and rapists that voted. Then good for him. I guess. At least he isn’t abusing his office and trampling on free speech like he normally does at his grandstanding sessions.

Nov 6, 2010

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/florida-gov-ron-desantis-election-police-force-arrests-voter-fraud/
Republican Florida Governor Ron DeSantis announced that 20 people who voted in the 2020 election will be arrested and charged Thursday for breaking the state's election laws on felon voting rights.

The move was described as the "opening salvo" for the Office of Election Crimes and Security, created by DeSantis and approved by the Florida Legislature. Some fear the office could discourage minorities and other communities from voting. The office began its work on July 1.

DeSantis said the twenty people arrested were all convicted for either murder or sexual assault and were mostly from Miami-Dade and Broward Counties. He added they were not among those whose voting rights were restored by "Amendment 4," a ballot measure that overwhelmingly passed in 2018 which restores voting rights to felons in the state, with the exception of those convicted of rape or murder.
The law also requires the rolls be checked for ineligible voters, so makes me wonder why these 20 were even allowed to vote. I wonder if someone will be prosecuted for that.

The law also requires the Florida Department of State to strengthen ID requirements for mail-in ballots, requires voter rolls to be checked every year for ineligible voters and prevents election supervisors from receiving so-called "Zuckerbucks."

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I don’t think I like DeSantis. Who is a decent candidate for ‘24?
I really do not like DeSantis either but honestly have not seen a potential candidate that really interests me which is unfortunate. Seems it has become such a crapshow that real leadership is shying away.

One interesting but longshot possibility would be if Joe Manchin decided to run. While many liberal democrats hate him, a lot of moderate dems do not. If he somehow made it through the primary against a very weak Biden he would still get the votes of the liberals as they would have no other choice. And, he would get a lot of moderate republican support if the republicans put up Trump or a Trump-like clone such as DeSantis.