DNC has truly become a parody of itself

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
A gem sent out to Boulder city staff, from the City Manager. Some solid judgement here on her part.:thumbup:

Dear colleagues,​
The month of June has given us so many wonderful opportunities to lean into our values of equity and inclusion. From the commemoration of the official end of slavery in our country to celebrations of LGBTQ+ pride and events celebrating immigrant heritage, we’ve had a lot of positive moments.​
But now, in the aftermath of historic rulings by the Supreme Court last week, our commitment to these values is being put to the test.​
As a progressive woman, it likely comes as little surprise that I am most deeply impacted by the decision to overturn Roe v Wade. The message this sends – and the very real consequence for those who are not lucky enough to live in Colorado or other select states – is that more than half of Americans can no longer make decisions about their own bodies. This directly impacts not just women, but all who have the biological ability to carry children, including transgender and non-binary Americans, as well as men and families who will also face difficult decisions that affect their lives. As is often the case with regulations, the greatest inequity will be felt disproportionately by the most vulnerable and under-served in our country.​
Furthermore, the decision, as written, calls into question very real concerns about what other freedoms could be altered, restricted or simply taken away without the safeguards of long-standing legal precedent. Very few rulings in our country’s history have left so many feeling unsafe and unsure of their place in America.​
I am also concerned about the court’s finding, in a separate case, that there is a nearly irrefutable right for individuals to carry weapons in public. Unfortunately, I believe this decision makes it more likely that public shootings will continue, and that police will face that much more of a challenge in detecting potential risk to communities. For those of you who are wondering what, if any, impact this will have on the recent measures passed by our City Council, our City Attorney’s Office is still assessing.​
So why am I telling you this? I believe in authentic leadership, and I choose to be both accountable to, and transparent about, my convictions.​
I also share my reactions because I believe many of you may be experiencing similar feelings. I want you to know that I see you, and I understand your pain and concern. I encourage you to find safe spaces to express your feelings and seek out ways to put your passion toward making a positive impact. I support departments or work groups that wish to provide optional opportunities for colleagues to come together and share the impacts these national issues are having on them.​
At the same time, I want to be clear that in any thriving workforce, there are certainly alternative perspectives. I welcome the viewpoints of my colleagues who see these rulings differently, who for religious, personal, or political reasons believe the court got it right on one or both these issues.
There are likely others who simply prefer not to have these types of discussions in the work environment. I see you, too, and respect that position. (emphasis mine)
As we prepare for the Fourth of July – a holiday focused on celebrating our freedom – there is no doubt this range of reactions will make for interesting, and sometimes challenging, conversations. As these topics, or any of the many other stressors we’ve experienced over the past few years, come up, I encourage you to treat your fellow employees with respect. As we know, respect is one of our core city values and part of what makes our organization such a great place to work. Listen actively. Empathize, when you can. Strive to find common ground. Recognize that we have a choice to model inclusive and meaningful civic discourse, which I personally believe is the only way we will find our way out of the divisiveness that currently defines our country.​
I also encourage you, whatever your political perspective, to vote in upcoming elections. In our current polarized context, the ballot box is the single best way to ensure that your voice is heard. Don’t miss your chance to shape the future you want to see.​
Regards,​
Nuria​

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
It's impossible to explain concepts like professionalism, manners and discretion to people that don't respect those things. I suppose those to are becoming antiquated. So I present to you what a state Senator from Rhode Island thinks is a good representation of herself and her constituents worthy of posting online:

Mar 11, 2006
NPR later deleted this tweet but then sent a separate tweet referring to Abe as an “ultranationalist”.

https://twitter.com/cortessteve/status/1545385455713222657?s=21&t=nnbkveoi4buNkLdQkC7W3A

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/oth...AAZqDMN?cvid=6dc4b2d47fd44e02aa5a914eadddfe9a

Colorado consumers will start noticing a 27-cent fee on receipts for almost everything that gets delivered to them, including restaurant food, after Colorado’s new “retail delivery fee” took effect July 1.

The fee must be collected and paid to the state by retailers "on all deliveries by motor vehicle to a location in Colorado with at least one item of tangible personal property subject to state sales or use tax," according to the new law.

The new fee is occurring at a time of record-setting inflation, spiking home prices, and a general sense of how unaffordable living in Colorado has become, particularly in metro Denver. It's also occurring even as elected officials promise to do everything in their power to lift the economic burden on residents.

Senate Bill 260 was Democrats’ solution to the funding gridlock, allowing them to raise money without voter approval.
Fees under the measure begin next year. They include:
  • 2 cents per gallon on gasoline and diesel fuel starting in July 2022 that increases 1 cent every year up to 8 cents
  • 27 cents on deliveries, including those from Amazon, FedEx and Grubhub
  • 30 cents on Uber and Lyft rides starting in 2022 that would increase based on the federal Consumer Price Index. The fee would be cut in half for people carpooling in a rideshare, or riding in an electric vehicle.

Mar 11, 2006
This is a good example of using specific phrasing not designed for continuing dialogue and or to learn, but only to shut-down.

I am not looking to debate “birthing people” vs “women” - but why people jump to calling people bigots, racist, sexist, etc when their statements were not. This type of behavior is not specific to a political party, but is utilized heavily by progressives (and also by far-right).

Hawley is probably trying to push her to admit that under her definition it is not a “woman’s right issue”, but it is a fair question. But nowhere was his questioning “transphobic” or being a “white supremacist bigot”. A sitting House member retweeted and liked this tweet (quasi endorsement).

This is the type of viral clip that has leftist progressives cheering because they think that Berkeley professor showed up Hawley. But most Dems are just doing a facepalm because they know this does not play to mainstream America.

https://twitter.com/ring_sheryl/status/1546915881535545345?s=21&t=LorIuZZrcq9M0OFZ0ClwsA

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Just unchained idiocy running amok in NYC. Adams is mandating vaccines for toddlers now, and now this.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/psa-nuclear-attack-leaves-yorkers-020246044.html

PSA on nuclear attack leaves New Yorkers worried, baffled

Tue, July 12, 2022 at 8:02 PM

NEW YORK (AP) — New York City residents are accustomed to warnings about all kinds of potential threats — severe weather, public health, mass shootings.
But a new PSA on surviving a nuclear attack has rattled some cages.
Released this week by the city’s emergency management agency, the 90-second video advises citizens to stay indoors and wash off any radioactive dust or ash. It opens on a computer-generated street, devoid of life. Damaged skyscrapers can be seen in the background.
Looking into the camera, a spokesperson says: “So there’s been a nuclear attack. Don’t ask me how or why. Just know that the big one has hit."
Many New Yorkers were left asking, “Why now?”

Christina Farrell, the city's emergency management deputy commissioner, said the video isn’t tied to any specific threats. She said it's about raising awareness of something most people haven't given much thought.

There’s no overarching reason why this is the time we sent this out,” Farrell told The Associated Press on Tuesday. “It’s just one tool in the toolbox to be prepared in the 21st century."
She said the agency's goal is to empower people regarding a scary subject, and despite the mixed reactions to the video, “people have thanked us that we are approaching this topic.”

“I don’t know if there’s ever the perfect moment to talk about nuclear preparedness,” she added, saying city officials have discussed implementing nuclear guidelines for quite some time. New York’s emergency response program, Ready New York, has been around since 2003.

Mayor Eric Adams has said he doesn't believe the video was alarmist, telling reporters Tuesday “I’m a big believer in better safe than sorry.”

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
Close, very close
Maybe not the DNC but certainly the product of loony left wing politics. Whatever happened to "follow the science"? From Forbes

‘NCAA Woman Of The Year’? Trans Swimming Champion Lia Thomas Is Nominated
Jul 16, 2022,07:00am EDT

The University of Pennsylvania has selected two student-athletes as nominees for the NCAA’s 2022 Woman of the Year Award: A tennis player from Russia and the first out transgender Division I women’s national swimming champion, Lia Thomas.

Despite reports of the ongoing atrocities Russia is commiting in Ukraine, it’s not Iuliia Bryzgalova whose nomination is making headlines.

Thomas is but one of 577 graduating women student-athletes chosen by their colleges and universities, according to the NCAA. What’s setting her apart is the fact that she is an out trans woman who in March 2019 swam for the UPenn men’s team, then began a medical transition so she could compete with other women, in accordance with NCAA regulations, beginning in the fall semester of 2021. Thomas completed 30 months of testosterone-reducing hormone therapy before shewon the 500-yard freestyle at the championships in Atlanta this past March. She beat her closest competitor by more than a second, but never finished better than fifth in her two remaining contests.

Opponents booed her, organized protests and sent the NCAA complaint letters, while supporters countered with cheers andletters of support.

All that is once again stirring controversy, and lighting up social media with negative reactions, transphobic comments, misgendering and outright bigotry.

That’s not all Martina Navratilova, a noted opponent of transgender inclusion in sports, has to say about Lia Thomas.

A report in the right-leaning Washington Examiner quoted the out lesbian tennis icon in its coverage of the announcement.
“There must be an ‘asterisk’ by the transgender swimmer's name when it comes to Thomas's success,” wrote Examiner social media producer Luke Gentile, explaining Navratilova’s position. "It's not about excluding transgender women from winning ever," Navratilova said. "But it is about not allowing them to win when they were not anywhere near winning as men."
Navratilova is mistaken when it comes to Thomas: As Karleigh Webb reported in Outsports, as a sophomore at Penn, Thomas finished second in the Ivy League men’s championship final in the 1650 free. It was her third second-place effort at that meet. And as that site’s co-founder, Cyd Zeigler, wrote, Thomas was considerably slower in each of her events as the woman she is than she was pre-transition.
“Trans women competing in women's sports does not threaten women's sports as a whole," Thomas told ESPN’s Katie Barnes in May, her first extensive interview since being crowned national champion. "Trans women are a very small minority of all athletes. The NCAA rules regarding trans women competing in women's sports have been around for 10-plus years. And we haven't seen any massive wave of trans women dominating."

Despite that, and without conclusive scientific evidence, the world governing body for swimmers last month voted to ban transgender women athletes from competing with elite cisgender women, as ESPN reported. FINA established a new "open" category for trans women, which is still in the works. The new policy requires transgender competitors to have completed their transition by age 12 to be able to compete in competitions with cisgender women and girls. The working group is tasked with determining how to set up the new open category within six months, FINA said.
“Established in 1991, the award recognizes female student-athletes who have exhausted their eligibility and distinguished themselves in their community, in athletics and in academics throughout their college careers,” said the NCAA in announcing the nominees. “As 2022 marks the 50th anniversary of Title IX, the NCAA Woman of the Year program is an important opportunity to honor and reflect on the impact of women on intercollegiate sports.”

Title IX removed barriers for women and girls across education. The law made sex-based discrimination illegal in programs and institutions that received federal funding.
As Edward Conroy reported for Forbes in June, the Biden administration marked the Title IX anniversary last month by proposing new rules providing various protections, including legal protection from sex discrimination, requiring that schools respond promptly and effectively to any complaints of sex discrimination, and ensuring that LGBTQ+ students are shielded from discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity. The Justice Department and ACLU are tackling individual states challenging the rights of trans students in court.
What’s next in terms of the awards is that an NCAA selection panel will review the 577 nominees and pick 30 Women of the Year honorees, from which they will then choose nine finalists—-three from each NCAA division, according to the organization's website. The NCAA Committee on Women's Athletics will then review those finalists before selecting the 2022 NCAA Woman of the Year.

The winner will be named in January 2023 at the NCAA Convention in San Antonio, Texas.
Texas is also the state where Republicans have targeted families providing gender-affirming healthcare to their transgender children, labeling it “child abuse.” As of last month, a federal judge called for a halt to such investigations, which the state has continued pending appeal.
Unlike in 2o16, when the NCAA and other sports organizations pulled events from North Carolina in response to a law that targeted transgender Americans by restricting which public bathrooms they could use, the NCAA has not taken any action against Texas or any of the 17 other states that have banned trans student-athletesfrom competing according to their authentic gender identity.
What the NCAA did do, in January, is abandon its 11-year-old trans participation policy and hand over the power to limit, restrict, ban or allow trans competitors to individual sporting bodies. That’s what opened the door for FINA and USA Swimming to essentially ban trans female swimmers from competing with other women. This month, British Triathlon matched that ban, and more sports organizations are expected to follow.
Essentially, Lia Thomas may wind up both the first and last out transgender champion, regardless of whether she is ultimately named the woman of the year.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2006
Maybe not the DNC but certainly the product of loony left wing politics. Whatever happened to "follow the science"? From Forbes

‘NCAA Woman Of The Year’? Trans Swimming Champion Lia Thomas Is Nominated
Jul 16, 2022,07:00am EDT

The University of Pennsylvania has selected two student-athletes as nominees for the NCAA’s 2022 Woman of the Year Award: A tennis player from Russia and the first out transgender Division I women’s national swimming champion, Lia Thomas.

Despite reports of the ongoing atrocities Russia is commiting in Ukraine, it’s not Iuliia Bryzgalova whose nomination is making headlines.

Thomas is but one of 577 graduating women student-athletes chosen by their colleges and universities, according to the NCAA. What’s setting her apart is the fact that she is an out trans woman who in March 2019 swam for the UPenn men’s team, then began a medical transition so she could compete with other women, in accordance with NCAA regulations, beginning in the fall semester of 2021. Thomas completed 30 months of testosterone-reducing hormone therapy before shewon the 500-yard freestyle at the championships in Atlanta this past March. She beat her closest competitor by more than a second, but never finished better than fifth in her two remaining contests.

Opponents booed her, organized protests and sent the NCAA complaint letters, while supporters countered with cheers andletters of support.

All that is once again stirring controversy, and lighting up social media with negative reactions, transphobic comments, misgendering and outright bigotry.

That’s not all Martina Navratilova, a noted opponent of transgender inclusion in sports, has to say about Lia Thomas.

A report in the right-leaning Washington Examiner quoted the out lesbian tennis icon in its coverage of the announcement.
“There must be an ‘asterisk’ by the transgender swimmer's name when it comes to Thomas's success,” wrote Examiner social media producer Luke Gentile, explaining Navratilova’s position. "It's not about excluding transgender women from winning ever," Navratilova said. "But it is about not allowing them to win when they were not anywhere near winning as men."
Navratilova is mistaken when it comes to Thomas: As Karleigh Webb reported in Outsports, as a sophomore at Penn, Thomas finished second in the Ivy League men’s championship final in the 1650 free. It was her third second-place effort at that meet. And as that site’s co-founder, Cyd Zeigler, wrote, Thomas was considerably slower in each of her events as the woman she is than she was pre-transition.
“Trans women competing in women's sports does not threaten women's sports as a whole," Thomas told ESPN’s Katie Barnes in May, her first extensive interview since being crowned national champion. "Trans women are a very small minority of all athletes. The NCAA rules regarding trans women competing in women's sports have been around for 10-plus years. And we haven't seen any massive wave of trans women dominating."

Despite that, and without conclusive scientific evidence, the world governing body for swimmers last month voted to ban transgender women athletes from competing with elite cisgender women, as ESPN reported. FINA established a new "open" category for trans women, which is still in the works. The new policy requires transgender competitors to have completed their transition by age 12 to be able to compete in competitions with cisgender women and girls. The working group is tasked with determining how to set up the new open category within six months, FINA said.
“Established in 1991, the award recognizes female student-athletes who have exhausted their eligibility and distinguished themselves in their community, in athletics and in academics throughout their college careers,” said the NCAA in announcing the nominees. “As 2022 marks the 50th anniversary of Title IX, the NCAA Woman of the Year program is an important opportunity to honor and reflect on the impact of women on intercollegiate sports.”

Title IX removed barriers for women and girls across education. The law made sex-based discrimination illegal in programs and institutions that received federal funding.
As Edward Conroy reported for Forbes in June, the Biden administration marked the Title IX anniversary last month by proposing new rules providing various protections, including legal protection from sex discrimination, requiring that schools respond promptly and effectively to any complaints of sex discrimination, and ensuring that LGBTQ+ students are shielded from discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity. The Justice Department and ACLU are tackling individual states challenging the rights of trans students in court.
What’s next in terms of the awards is that an NCAA selection panel will review the 577 nominees and pick 30 Women of the Year honorees, from which they will then choose nine finalists—-three from each NCAA division, according to the organization's website. The NCAA Committee on Women's Athletics will then review those finalists before selecting the 2022 NCAA Woman of the Year.

The winner will be named in January 2023 at the NCAA Convention in San Antonio, Texas.
Texas is also the state where Republicans have targeted families providing gender-affirming healthcare to their transgender children, labeling it “child abuse.” As of last month, a federal judge called for a halt to such investigations, which the state has continued pending appeal.
Unlike in 2o16, when the NCAA and other sports organizations pulled events from North Carolina in response to a law that targeted transgender Americans by restricting which public bathrooms they could use, the NCAA has not taken any action against Texas or any of the 17 other states that have banned trans student-athletesfrom competing according to their authentic gender identity.
What the NCAA did do, in January, is abandon its 11-year-old trans participation policy and hand over the power to limit, restrict, ban or allow trans competitors to individual sporting bodies. That’s what opened the door for FINA and USA Swimming to essentially ban trans female swimmers from competing with other women. This month, British Triathlon matched that ban, and more sports organizations are expected to follow.
Essentially, Lia Thomas may wind up both the first and last out transgender champion, regardless of whether she is ultimately named the woman of the year.
It is interesting how public opinion on cultural issues are shifting to Republicans.

Great article yesterday in the NYTimes about how the VA Gov and DeSantis are leveraging that stark shift in public opinion.