$$$-do we have it?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
All depends on what’s important to you and what you have to give up to take the job and the pay raise. Does it involve moving way from your kids, grandkids, friends or a place you really enjoy. There is give and take with all decisions…right?

Its definitely a lot more money in a bigger fish bowl with more eyeballs looking in…if that’s what drives you.
I don't know where his family is but he's 874 miles closer to home.

Apr 7, 2006
I can't fundamentally understand the system. I can't think of another place where contracts only protect 1 party (coaches). Add in that the annual salaries climb faster than revenue (I suspect) while there's so much uncertainty around future revenues. Then consider the budget differences between the upper and lower tier are as stark as in any professional league and there's no governance in place to slow it down. The playoffs are a beauty contest determined by a very subjective process that changes annually and is monopolized by a single media partner.

Even before I try to figure out where NIL, unions, etc are going it's clear that this system can't sustain the current trajectory long term.

pokedoc

Wrangler
Sep 8, 2004
Chicagoland
I can't fundamentally understand the system. I can't think of another place where contracts only protect 1 party (coaches). Add in that the annual salaries climb faster than revenue (I suspect) while there's so much uncertainty around future revenues. Then consider the budget differences between the upper and lower tier are as stark as in any professional league and there's no governance in place to slow it down. The playoffs are a beauty contest determined by a very subjective process that changes annually and is monopolized by a single media partner.

Even before I try to figure out where NIL, unions, etc are going it's clear that this system can't sustain the current trajectory long term.

I hope you're right about the system being unable to sustain itself long term. Seems like OSU's best chance to remain (or become?) competitive at the highest level is for the system to somehow implode and hopefully hit the reset button.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
How many recruits did we directly lose to Texas in the past 10 years? A dozen maybe? More importantly, how many did we "steal" from Texas? Not many. For the most part, the same kids who were going to go to Texas, will go to Texas and the same kids who came to Stillwater were probably never on the Texas radar.

Now...

If we start losing recruits to non-blue bloods because of NIL...THEN we need to be concerned.
I think the wild card is the transfer portal. I'm concerned that every player who comes in and makes a splash as a RS Freshman or Sophomore will enter the portal and try to catch on with a big $ NIL school - like basketball players who have left early for the NBA draft in past years.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
I think the wild card is the transfer portal. I'm concerned that every player who comes in and makes a splash as a RS Freshman or Sophomore will enter the portal and try to catch on with a big $ NIL school - like basketball players who have left early for the NBA draft in past years.
Maybe I'm a bit of an optimist but I see the reverse happening. Kids transferring to a school where they will be "the guy" to raise their brand awareness and get that sweet, sweet NIL money.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Maybe I'm a bit of an optimist but I see the reverse happening. Kids transferring to a school where they will be "the guy" to raise their brand awareness and get that sweet, sweet NIL money.
I don't think we are ever going to be anywhere near the $50,000+ NIL per player per year some of these schools are talking about. NIL payments could end up blowing up the way coaches salaries have - on a lower scale, but to that degree. Mulitiplied by the number of stars/starters, NIL will take away donor money that would have gone to the football program, and could suck up the surplus money used to support other college sports and it will no longer be the cash cow for the athletic departments. I appreciate your optimism, but I am not. I think the $ thing is on the way to ruining college sports.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
This is an important consideration...the NFL could fund college football teams for players not yet ready for the pros and still give them enough money to take basic college courses as they want.
So we become basically a NFL minor league; there really would be no affiliation between the team and the school. I have been done with the NFL for a few years now, and at that point I'd be done with college football.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
The era of amateur athletics is about to end. The NCAA must now allow athletes to be paid for using their images by private companies. They will become professionals. They will join play for teams in conferences that "arrange" the highest payments.
Again, those are called 4-star and 5-star players that already go to those schools, the NIL benefits will just make it more profitable for them (do they have to pay taxes on this money?).

What it is going to do, to the chagrin of some on here, coaches like Gundy will now spend 0% of their time recruiting these kids instead of the limited amount of time he already does. And he will be right to do so. It was hard enough recruiting a 5-star when the recruit's other offers are blue bloods, now coaches like Gundy would be fighting blue bloods with overt wads of cash to wave in a recruit's face. Those kids who do not make it to the blue blood schools are still going to have to consider the likes of a "lowly" OSU if they want to play in college. Plenty of them around and again, despite what some on here think, we do a pretty good job sniffing out those types of players.
Yes, athletes receiving NIL money have to pay taxes. As I understand it, OSUs NIL learning course given to student athletes includes a section on taxes and the IRS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
So we become basically a NFL minor league; there really would be no affiliation between the team and the school. I have been done with the NFL for a few years now, and at that point I'd be done with college football.
The only NFL game I watch now is the Super Bowl and that is mainly for the commercials. If College becomes a 'Yankees' only type competition then i'll probably be out on it too. Why would any fan of a team not in the top 10 of revenue/funds care to spend their time or money on something they knew would never have a chance to fairly compete? The divide between the haves and have nots will only get wider. Maybe a way to fix it would be to allow kids to go pro right after high school but 'salary cap' each position? Not sure how that could even work if a private company wants to pay a kid tons of cash to tweet about their product.

Oct 7, 2012
We've got to stop blaming coaches for taking offers of more money. I doubt any of us here would turn down similar types of raises in salary (probably wouldn't take near as much for us to be convinced to move).

Start blaming the system that creates this. And no it's not television and a host of other things. It's you the fan that's willing to buy shirts, tickets, etc. at high prices that's creating this problem.
Truest thing I’ve read all week.

Just like the drug cartels, they are only feeding the demand.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
I won't ever be done with college football. Too many years of caring about it and having a deep interest in the century-plus of fun, enthusiastic, colorful amateur athletics. I love OSU and Oklahoma A&M history and how it got us (against all odds) to where we are now.

That said, the writing is on the wall. We (and 90% of the other colleges) are not going to be able to compete for THE championship in college football. Non-bluebloods already can't pull 5* players, sell a fraction of the merch, get big TV contracts, or win any major awards. A team like Cincy (or OSU) having even a shot to compete for the ultimate title is a once in a decade experience and the gap is going to get even wider.

Not to bring the school down south into it, but they haven't won it all in their player's lifetimes and haven't played for one in 13 years. Only 6 different schools have played in the NC game in the playoff era (14 spots). That will likely be 6 in 16 spots after this year.

I am ready to accept a tiered college football system, and actually think it can be more fun and we can be one of the perennial contenders at the 2nd level.

And for those that think this is terrible, let me tell you I've been around NDSU fanbase as they drive thousands of miles to play in Texas for their FCS NCs, and they have a BLAST! We're a big step ahead of that, and all is not lost if we are one of the ~110 of 130 FBS schools that fall into another category while the bluebloods become semi-pro.

Last edited:

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
The only NFL game I watch now is the Super Bowl and that is mainly for the commercials. If College becomes a 'Yankees' only type competition then i'll probably be out on it too. Why would any fan of a team not in the top 10 of revenue/funds care to spend their time or money on something they knew would never have a chance to fairly compete? The divide between the haves and have nots will only get wider. Maybe a way to fix it would be to allow kids to go pro right after high school but 'salary cap' each position? Not sure how that could even work if a private company wants to pay a kid tons of cash to tweet about their product.
Already debating fiesta if Knowles is out.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I won't ever be done with college football. Too many years of caring about it and having a deep interest in the decade-plus of fun, enthusiastic, colorful amateur athletics. I love OSU and Oklahoma A&M history and how it got us (against all odds) to where we are now.

That said, the writing is on the wall. We (and 90% of the other colleges) are not going to be able to compete for THE championship in college football. Non-bluebloods already can't pull 5* players, sell a fraction of the merch, get big TV contracts, or win any major awards. A team like Cincy (or OSU) having even a shot to compete for the ultimate title is a once in a decade experience and the gap is going to get even wider.

Not to bring the school down south into it, but they haven't won it all in their player's lifetimes and haven't played for one in 13 years. Only 6 different schools have played in the NC game in the playoff era (14 spots). That will likely be 6 in 16 spots after this year.

I am ready to accept a tiered college football system, and actually think it can be more fun and we can be one of the perennial contenders at the 2nd level.

And for those that think this is terrible, let me tell you I've been around NDSU fanbase as they drive thousands of miles to play in Texas for their FCS NCs, and they have a BLAST! We're a big step ahead of that, and all is not lost if we are one of the ~110 of 130 FBS schools that fall into another category while the bluebloods become semi-pro.
Excellent outlook. Love it. Trying to get some of your fellow alums off the edge and to come back inside the open window.

No reason to cry about any of this.

Hate saying Kung Fu Panda was one of the most cleverest movies I’ve ever seen but Kung Fu Panda is one of the most cleverest movies I’ve ever seen.

My kids hate the movie because I site it all the time. For instance “there are accidents”. Over the years, we’ve only come up with one true accident but it’s a maybe at best. There are no accidents. Mainly, we substitute the word accident for mistake. Anyways that’s a side story.

The quote that applies to your message is “don’t cry that it’s over, smile that it happened”. And I will every time I think about this last season. If we can do that, we can do anything.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
That said, the writing is on the wall. We (and 90% of the other colleges) are not going to be able to compete for THE championship in college football.
I don't agree, while we haven't made the final cut we have been competing for a spot in that group. Missed it in 2011 by one ranking spot (and about an inch on a FG attempt) and this year probably by a couple inches on our last offensive play.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
All depends on what’s important to you and what you have to give up to take the job and the pay raise. Does it involve moving way from your kids, grandkids, friends or a place you really enjoy. There is give and take with all decisions…right?

Its definitely a lot more money in a bigger fish bowl with more eyeballs looking in…if that’s what drives you.
Which brings up another great point about Knowles. As far as I know, he has no ties to Oklahoma - just here for the job. Philly born and bread, spent most of his career in northeast before going to Duke. Maybe he will be moving closer to family or friends.