Dusty Hill of ZZ Top has died

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
RIP Dusty. My brother has never seen ZZ Top live and my SIL had tickets to see them in SLC for him as a surprise for his 60th birthday next month, not sure that's happening now. Although, in their statement Billy Gibbons and Frank Beard said something about continuing on with the music.

Aug 16, 2012
My older brother brought home First Album when I was just eight and I was hooked. While their later work was considered more radio friendly, I preferred the hard core blues-driven music from the 70s albums of which Hill's work was so important. When I was in HS, a couple of buddies and I could say we had been to every ZZ Top concert within a 300 mile radius during our Jr/Sr. years. Normally do not go see acts that old anymore, especially since they tended to play more post '81 songs at more recent concerts but had planned to see them one last time up at Winstar this November. They changed the date to next June and now I know why. He never seemed to earn the respect I felt he deserved (not even in the top-50 per Rolling Stone), but the guy could sure play IMO.

RIP

RIP Dusty. My brother has never seen ZZ Top live and my SIL had tickets to see them in SLC for him as a surprise for his 60th birthday next month, not sure that's happening now. Although, in their statement Billy Gibbons and Frank Beard said something about continuing on with the music.
They have played a few venues with a replacement bassist, Elwood Francis, for a few months now. Hill has been in bad shape for a while.

Sep 12, 2008
ZZ Top will carry on... The band's longtime guitar tech, Elwood Francis, will take over on bass, per Hill's wishes. "Dusty emphatically grabbed my arm and said, 'Give Elwood the bottom end, and take it to the Top,'"

Saw ZZ Top a couple of times, what a great show.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
ZZ Top will carry on... The band's longtime guitar tech, Elwood Francis, will take over on bass, per Hill's wishes. "Dusty emphatically grabbed my arm and said, 'Give Elwood the bottom end, and take it to the Top,'"

Saw ZZ Top a couple of times, what a great show.
that's good, but just not the same. My favorite band of all time.

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
My older brother brought home First Album when I was just eight and I was hooked. While their later work was considered more radio friendly, I preferred the hard core blues-driven music from the 70s albums of which Hill's work was so important. When I was in HS, a couple of buddies and I could say we had been to every ZZ Top concert within a 300 mile radius during our Jr/Sr. years. Normally do not go see acts that old anymore, especially since they tended to play more post '81 songs at more recent concerts but had planned to see them one last time up at Winstar this November. They changed the date to next June and now I know why. He never seemed to earn the respect I felt he deserved (not even in the top-50 per Rolling Stone), but the guy could sure play IMO.

RIP

They have played a few venues with a replacement bassist, Elwood Francis, for a few months now. Hill has been in bad shape for a while.
I saw them on the Eliminator tour, great show by great musicians and showmen.

The mom of a high school friend of mine went to high school with Frank Beard (I think even dated him in high school). Kristi asked her mom to ask him to play at our prom. The mom did ask him and he said they would love to do something like that but they were in the middle of the Eliminator tour at the time so wouldn't be able to swing it. The mom may have been blowing smoke up our asses, or Frank may have been blowing smoke up hers but it sounded cool to us. (The mom did have recent pictures with Frank as well as high school pictures, so the part about knowing him was at least true.)

Waitin' For The Bus/Jesus Just Left Chicago were my introduction to ZZ Top and I loved it. El Loco was the first entire album I listened too and was definitely hooked after that. I have to admit, I wasn't a big fan of Afterburner and haven't really listened to anything after that but I bought "ZZ Top Six Pack" CD when it first came out and listened to it over and over and over again. Still do, only streaming instead of CD.