VOTE! Election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will be the results of todays vote?

• Trump wins big

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Trump wins small

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • No decision by tomorrow morning

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Biden wins small

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Biden wins big

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I posted a story from CNN several weeks back about this sort of thing. In short, foreign firms were using writers needing work & assigning them 'stories' to write. They'd set the writers up, provide them with sources, complete with AI generated photos, & the writers would follow the information to its' obvious conclusion(s) & publish their online stories. The sources & people provided to the writers were completely falsely generated, but also pretty well done in terms of appearing legit, when in fact, most if not all of what was provided was false. CNN found instances of this on both liberal & conservative platforms, fwiw.

Said it then, & I'll say it now, this should scare the crap out of every one of us. It's perhaps the slickest & most divisive propoganda & misinformation vehicle ever used, & it's constantly being used against us to divide us. This is exactly why it's crazy to have some visceral reaction to a headline or a tweet, in particular.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
https://twitter.com/politico/status/1322157600943808524

The Right-Wing internet? I can't even.
It only exists in "right-wing media", because everyone else is trying to suppress the story so much so that you have a journalist listed above that quit because of the censoring of the information.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
If you are voting for a party, then you are doing it wrong. I will be voting for many different candidates across parties. Party Line voting is about the dumbest idea on the planet
If its a local election...parties are not very important. But in an national election it is far more important. This was not always so but now it is critical.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Personally, I am not a big fan of the winner take all approach. I do appreciate the electoral college, and would like to preserve that. But I think it would be A more accurate representation of the will of the people to appropriate electoral college votes based on the popular vote of that state. So many millions of Republicans in California would get a say, andmillions of Democrats in Texas would get a say. Otherwise so many millions of people in D or R Strongholds really could simply just not vote because their vote doesn’t make any difference with a winner take all system.

It would additionally mean that a republican candidate would have to actually spend some time and effort in places like Oklahoma and a Democrat wouldn’t be able to Take California and new York for granted
What would you think of decentralizing Washington DC? The federal beaucracy could split up to various parts of the country and the increasing powerful departments would be made to listen to various views of people. Now our beaucracy is in my view too powerful and needs to decentralized out here in the hinderlands.

Aug 16, 2012
I posted a story from CNN several weeks back about this sort of thing. In short, foreign firms were using writers needing work & assigning them 'stories' to write. They'd set the writers up, provide them with sources, complete with AI generated photos, & the writers would follow the information to its' obvious conclusion(s) & publish their online stories. The sources & people provided to the writers were completely falsely generated, but also pretty well done in terms of appearing legit, when in fact, most if not all of what was provided was false. CNN found instances of this on both liberal & conservative platforms, fwiw.

Said it then, & I'll say it now, this should scare the crap out of every one of us. It's perhaps the slickest & most divisive propoganda & misinformation vehicle ever used, & it's constantly being used against us to divide us. This is exactly why it's crazy to have some visceral reaction to a headline or a tweet, in particular.
CBmTp-pWEAEDp1G.png

"Life imitates art" - Oscar Wilde

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
also in Colorado
https://twitter.com/kfor/status/1322181735631757312
Elohim City in Eastern OK, Montana Militia, & on & on have been around for decades.

I worked with a couple of those whackjobs back when Y2K was coming. They took their $$ out of banks, stored water & supplies, the whole nine. Needless to say, returning to work with them after nothing happened. :D

Aug 16, 2012
What would you think of decentralizing Washington DC? The federal beaucracy could split up to various parts of the country and the increasing powerful departments would be made to listen to various views of people. Now our beaucracy is in my view too powerful and needs to decentralized out here in the hinderlands.
That was implemented by Trump a year or so ago. Think it was a relatively small piece of the Interiors Department, in particular BLM (back when it meant Bureau of Land Management) or USDA going to Kansas City. Was roundly derided as a lunatic, anti-science move and something like half of the researchers quit. Can only imagine what it would be like if implemented on a large scale.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
That was implemented by Trump a year or so ago. Think it was a relatively small piece of the Interiors Department, in particular BLM (back when it meant Bureau of Land Management) or USDA going to Kansas City. Was roundly derided as a lunatic, anti-science move and something like half of the researchers quit. Can only imagine what it would be like if implemented on a large scale.
Sen. Gardner (CO) helped get the BLM moved to Grand Junction, CO. Logic was to put the agency, that predominately serves the West, out WEST! Bureaucrats fought it like hell at the time.

Aug 16, 2012
Sen. Gardner (CO) helped get the BLM moved to Grand Junction, CO. Logic was to put the agency, that predominately serves the West, out WEST! Bureaucrats fought it like hell at the time.
Thing is, there are fed pockets all over. In your neck of the woods, half of Lakewood is a huge fed center that includes key components of dozens of federal agencies. This is not something new and makes sense IMO.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
I've often wondered why the Dept. of Agriculture is in Washington DC. Why not put it out in country where people actually do the work of producing food?

Aug 16, 2012
"Wag the Dog' is actually a very, very instructional movie. Entertaining as hell too!
I agree, a very good and enlightening movie, but I see the difference as Wag the Dog illustrated what was already status quo. When the Bond movie came out, media manipulation was probably done, but not to the scale where it had the impact it does now. I can remember coming out of the theater thinking, "No way people would just blindly accept whatever is printed" and thinking journalists still had morals, researched topics and were impartial. Boy was I naive.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Thing is, there are fed pockets all over. In your neck of the woods, half of Lakewood is a huge fed center that includes key components of dozens of federal agencies. This is not something new and makes sense IMO.
I get that, but I'm fairly certain the BLM was a much larger move, given the controversy & coverage it generated at the time.