VOTE! Election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will be the results of todays vote?

• Trump wins big

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Trump wins small

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • No decision by tomorrow morning

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • Biden wins small

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Biden wins big

Votes: 9 11.5%

• Total voters

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Again, that was answered above. You do not read my posts then say the same thing over and over when already answered. You can look back just as easy as I can.

Many of these racist statues are being taken down by law. You are defending keeping them up. We are not talking about idiots tearing down everything with wanton destruction. Again, already covered.
Maybe I'm having a hard time discerning between those who want wanton destruction of public property and specifically those going through proper channels. I know some attempted to wantonly destroy all sort of monuments on the national mall this past year and toppled a statue of an ex President. I was unaware of just how many statues had been vandalized until I googled and found this (not sure who or what dainlysignal is so don't judge me based on that) Lot's of these aren't "racist" and many have just been wantonly destroyed.
A List of America's Toppled, Defaced, or Removed Statues (dailysignal.com)

Mar 11, 2006
IMO, @Rack and @steross are both right on this interesting topic. It is okay for two smart people to have differing and/or opposing views on this subject.

First, @Rack is correct that having a desire to keep the statues and memorials is NOT racist. It is tired to see people continually using the cries of racism because they either can’t adequately defend their argument or they simply just don’t agree with the position someone else’s take.

Second, @steross , I definitely understand and support removing statues and monuments that were put up in the Jim Crow era. @Rack , it seems apparent to me that most of those memorials were done to put a thumb in the eye of others. However, these statues are government property and should be lawfully removed by the government. People illegally toppling or destroying statues should be prosecuted. Just because an individual or a group of people don’t like it, does not give them the right to destroy.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
Where do you draw the line? You didn't answer my question.

Btw, you thinking that all "Black guys" in the South all think alike this is more out of touch than anything I said. Like the fact it would be better to explain the Nazi death camps than to remove them...explain the horrible existence of ancient slave markets rather than gloss them over or attempt to erase history. None of this is racist, but an attempt to educate and explain the sins of man and not repeat them. Statues designed to keep others down should be turned around with inscriptions to show the shame of that practice...not simply removed by those breaking the law and defacing property...no more than the guys Vladimir Lenin statue should be removed by vandals breaking the law and defacing property.
You just keep repeating yourself. And, you add to your posts after I respond then complain I did not answer. I already answered your question earlier in the thread.

You don't understand the subject. These are not like the Nazi death camps. These statues were added by racists decades after the war. They are not historical relics, they are weapons of racism. NOBODY is talking about removing actual historical items from the time period. The fact that I have explained this to you multiple times yet you keep repeating shows that you do not care about the truth you just want to protect the racism.
And, where did I say "all" black men. I said a black man. And there are hundreds of interviews on the subject available if you cared outside yourself, which you continue to show that you don't.

And, enough with this "intellectual" BS. I am just another Oklahoma kid like nearly everyone else on the board. A position of "we should remove racists statues put up by racists" is not the least bit intellectual. It is just a weak attempt at insult as you are out of your depths.

I really hope that this is just message board bluster from you and like nearly everyone here you just don't like to give a point. Because, and this is true honesty, every word you write I this subject makes me lose respect for you. I absolutely cannot believe you feel this way. I hope it is because you haven't really looked at the history of these statues. Because, if you have and feel that way, you are not a person I can respect.
And that is all I have to say on this subject with you. I really hope you find your way.
I argued the some of same points and after he ran out of things to argue he claimed he was being sarcastic.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I argued the some of same points and after he ran out of things to argue he claimed he was being sarcastic.
Did you also basically call me a racist when you ran out of points or wanted to slam my ideas? Just wondering, because that seems to be the go to these days. Honestly, racism is now the sin of all sins in American society...certainly it is a sin and it is something we should be careful to extract from our core, but we seem to champion other sin and ignore everything else when doing so. The sins of pride in ones self and self righteousness above others in any form (not just racially) are also sins. We all have sin, I, you, Streoss, Cable...we should certainly fight it daily. "Let him without it cast the first stone." In other words we should be able to have discussions on topics without personal attacks on others, whom we really don't know accept for our discussions with them on a sports message board. I would like to sincerely ask for you to forgive me when I have done this, I know I have. I hope you have a good day...may God bless you and yours.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Did you also basically call me a racist when you ran out of points or wanted to slam my ideas? Just wondering, because that seems to be the go to these days. Honestly, racism is now the sin of all sins in American society...certainly it is a sin and it is something we should be careful to extract from our core, but we seem to champion other sin and ignore everything else when doing so. The sins of pride in ones self and self righteousness above others in any form (not just racially) are also sins. We all have sin, I, you, Streoss, Cable...we should certainly fight it daily. "Let him without it cast the first stone." In other words we should be able to have discussions on topics without personal attacks on others, whom we really don't know accept for our discussions with them on a sports message board. I would like to sincerely ask for you to forgive me when I have done this, I know I have. I hope you have a good day...may God bless you and yours.
Statues of racists. Placed by racists. For racist purposes. That is what you are defending.
So, if because you are defending clear racism and I am pointing that out it makes you feel that I called you a racist, then so be it. I never once said, "You are a racist." But, you are clearly, 100% objectively defending the acts of racists. That is simply factual information. There is no opinion to it.

If ever in the future there is a magazine of pedophilia, made by pedophiles for the purpose of pedophilia, and let's say for some completely unintelligible reason I decide to defend it by calling it "art" or "we can label it" or some other bombastically bad idea. If in explaining how incredibly bad my ideas on the subject are you or other people make me feel like I am a pedophile with my multi-page defense of the products of pedophiles and comparing it to non-pedophile magazines, I will not hold that against you. I will not claim "pedophilia is now the sin of all American sins" because we are discussing it.

Interesting your concern about sin with this. Obviously, your conscience is getting the best of you. If we were talking about taxes and I brought up racism, you would have a point. But, you are defending blatant racism. Me pointing that out is not bringing racism up as "the sin of all sins of America." You are simply doing even more rationalizing of your unethical stance. You really need to look inside yourself and decide why this is important to you? Why are racist statues of confederates created by racists something you so passionately want to maintain that you would post about it over and over and over again?

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
wu201125.gif

Much of the money raised by Stepien (Trump campaign manager) and the Trump campaign won’t go towards challenging election results, however, but to help set the stage for the president’s next act. The Trump campaign has a recount fund, but the money won’t go to it unless someone gives more than $8,333. Rather, 60 percent of a donation up to that amount for Trump’s “Official Election Defense Fund” is routed to a new PAC started this week by the president that can pay for a wide range of activities — but is likely legally barred from spending on recounts, lawyers say. The remaining 40 percent goes to the Republican National Committee, which is allowed — but not required to — spend on the recount. Prior to Tuesday, the majority of a donation went to helping Trump’s campaign cover its debt.

Feb 7, 2007
Denver
No, I just thought you gave a bad example as a statue that the "left" is leaving up.

I just think defending the confederate memorials is kind of pointless. I think CableOK hit it on the head. Valid points on both sides. But clearly some of the memorials are more honorary and offensive than others. If they are figures from the civil war or after who defended slavery... IMO move them to a museum. That is how you draw the line IMO. Before that time slavery was part of the US. After it was not.

All good if you disagree, just try to understand how this could be sensitive to people. Vandalism is bad but I would take a statue getting defaced every day of the week over someone's life being taken.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Just to be clear the man some of you voted to turn over the nuclear codes to. This is what Obama had to say about him....

“Don’t underestimate Joe’s ability to f--- things up.” BO during the 2020 primary campaign....

1606749112082.png

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Obama’s take on evangelical Hispanics could reinforce Democrats’ challenges
Weighing in on why President-elect Joe Biden lost the support of so many Hispanic voters, former president Barack Obama gave an answer that will fuel growing criticism of the Democratic Party: its apparent deep misunderstanding of the Latino vote.

Obama suggested Wednesday on “The Breakfast Club” radio show that evangelical Latinos did not care enough about undocumented workers and immigration, or racism against Mexicans, to vote against President Trump. His take that these religiously conservative Hispanics prioritized their opposition to LGBT rights and abortion rights above all else received much criticism from conservative Hispanics, who argued that their opposition to Biden was rooted in other issues.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...spanics-could-reinforce-democrats-challenges/

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Just to be clear the man some of you voted to turn over the nuclear codes to. This is what Obama had to say about him....

“Don’t underestimate Joe’s ability to f--- things up.” BO during the 2020 primary campaign....

View attachment 87425
Obama’s take on evangelical Hispanics could reinforce Democrats’ challenges
Weighing in on why President-elect Joe Biden lost the support of so many Hispanic voters, former president Barack Obama gave an answer that will fuel growing criticism of the Democratic Party: its apparent deep misunderstanding of the Latino vote.

Obama suggested Wednesday on “The Breakfast Club” radio show that evangelical Latinos did not care enough about undocumented workers and immigration, or racism against Mexicans, to vote against President Trump. His take that these religiously conservative Hispanics prioritized their opposition to LGBT rights and abortion rights above all else received much criticism from conservative Hispanics, who argued that their opposition to Biden was rooted in other issues.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...spanics-could-reinforce-democrats-challenges/
Wow, four unprompted Obama mentions in 30 minutes.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
https://twitter.com/DailyMail/status/1333194589268742144
This is so crazy. Kemp publically and loudly supports Trump but the disciples turn on him the second he doesn't overturn the election for Lord Trump. They have people calling him a criminal and he should be locked up. This is classic cult behavior. "You aren't loyal enough". Scary stuff. So glad we're avoiding a second term of this.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
You know what, I'm actually gonna agree with you there. But it's just Obama's specter, Biden is president (elect) now.
Did you read any of it? I'm guessing not.....

Former president Barack Obama gave an answer that will fuel growing criticism of the Democratic Party: its apparent deep misunderstanding of the Latino vote.

While the article was centered around BO, it's about the Democratic party and their view of the Hispanic vote, or perhaps the view Hispanics have of the Democratic party.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Did you read any of it? I'm guessing not.....

Former president Barack Obama gave an answer that will fuel growing criticism of the Democratic Party: its apparent deep misunderstanding of the Latino vote.

While the article was centered around BO, it's about the Democratic party and their view of the Hispanic vote, or perhaps the view Hispanics have of the Democratic party.
The fight for the Hispanic vote is going to determine a lot of future elections.