VOTE! Election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will be the results of todays vote?

• Trump wins big

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Trump wins small

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • No decision by tomorrow morning

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • Biden wins small

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Biden wins big

Votes: 9 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
I agree. Both are bad. But when an attempted coup happens, people shouldn't resort to, "Yeah, but whatabout those other riots?" Literally whataboutism. That's my point.

Basically whataboutism could be defined as attempting to point out a double standard in order to distract from the severity of an incident.
Especially when no double standard exists.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
A coup is an overthrow of a government, not just the president. Since they were essentially trying to subvert one branch of our government, I would consider it a coup.
Thanks for saving me the trouble.

I imagine a Monty Python sketch where the Capitol rioters get stopped by National Guardsmen. (Forgive me. I had fun with this,)

Guard: Stop what you’re doing. Right now!
Rioter: Why?
Guard: You can’t do this.
Rioter: Why not? This is ‘Merica.
Guard: But this isn’t right.
Rioter: We’re ‘ Mericans. We have a right to protest.
Guard: Yer freedum?
Rioters together: Muh freedum!!!!!
Guard: You guys don’t get it.
Rioter: Oh we get it. You’re here to stop the coup.
Guard: No, I’m not. I’m here to tell you something.
Rioter: What? That we’re a threat to democracy?
Guard: No.
Rioter 2: That Biden won and we should give up?
Rioter 3: That Trump lost in the courts?
Rioter 4: That Pence can’t change the electoral outcome?
Q Shaman: That my mom made macaroni and cheese and wants me to come home and watch Wheel of Fortune with her?
Guard: What? No. And... eww!
Rioter 1: Then what are you going to tell us?
Guard: You can’t have a coup today. Trump’s still in power. You‘re two weeks early.
Rioter: Early?
Guard: You have to wait until Biden is innaugurated.
Rioter: OK. So meet here in 2 weeks?
Guard: Yeah. January 20.
Rioter: Hear that everyone?!? Stop the coup! (Everyone stops immediately and starts to pick up stuff and walk off) Meet back on January 20th!
Guard: Noon.
Rioter: Noon! And don’t forget to bring extra juice boxes! We ran out too fast today!
Guard: See you then.
Rioter: OK. It‘s a date. (MAGAs all walk off)
Guard 2: (hands Guard 1 a $20 bill) OK, I was wrong. I didn’t think there was any way that would work. Here’s your twenty. You win Fred.
Guard 1: (Takes $20 bill and looks at it, focus is on “In God We Trust.”) No Ralph. We win. Democracy wins.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Thanks for saving me the trouble.

I imagine a Monty Python sketch where the Capitol rioters get stopped by National Guardsmen. (Forgive me. I had fun with this,)

Guard: Stop what you’re doing. Right now!
Rioter: Why?
Guard: You can’t do this.
Rioter: Why not? This is ‘Merica.
Guard: But this isn’t right.
Rioter: We’re ‘ Mericans. We have a right to protest.
Guard: Yer freedum?
Rioters together: Muh freedum!!!!!
Guard: You guys don’t get it.
Rioter: Oh we get it. You’re here to stop the coup.
Guard: No, I’m not. I’m here to tell you something.
Rioter: What? That we’re a threat to democracy?
Rioter 2: That Biden won and we should give up?
Rioter 3: That Trump lost in the courts?
Rioter 4: That Pence can’t change the electoral outcome?
Q Shaman: That my mom made macaroni and cheese and wants me to come home and watch Wheel of Fortune with her?
Guard: What? No. And... eww!
Rioter 1: Then what are you going to tell us?
Guard: You can’t have a coup today. Trump’s still in power. You‘re two weeks early.
Rioter: Early?
Guard: You have to wait until Biden is innaugurated.
Rioter: OK. So meet here in 2 weeks?
Guard: Yeah. January 20.
Rioter: Hear that everyone?!? Stop the coup! (Everyone stops immediately and starts to pick up stuff and walk off) Meet back on January 20th!
Guard: Noon.
Rioter: Noon! And don’t forget to bring extra juice boxes! We ran out too fast today!
Guard: See you then.
Rioter: OK. It‘s a date. (MAGAs all walk off)
Guard 2: (hands Guard 1 a $20 bill) OK, I was wrong. I didn’t think there was any way that would work. Here’s your twenty. You win Fred.
Guard 1: (Takes $20 bill and looks at it, focus is on “In God We Trust.”) No Ralph. We win. Democracy wins.
Ok I want to borrow this.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Totally agree all violence and rioting is bad. I am just arguing in the context of politics the MAGA storm of the capitol and the BLM Riots and looting are in completely different political realms.

BLM was not formed to be political. The people they are protesting were not elected. The policies and enforcement are not political. The activists are not trying to overturn elections.
How can you say BLM is not political? Their whole premise was to change government (i.e. policing). That's political by default.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
https://twitter.com/klstnews/status/1350213246301712390?s=20

Here are the details. Think this will fly?
Voter Registration:
  • Prohibits automatic voter registration for federal elections.
  • Requires voter citizenship verification to register to vote in federal elections.
  • Requires full Social Security Numbers (SSN) to register to vote in federal elections.
  • Requires federal courts to notify state election officials when an individual is excused from jury duty because they are not a citizen.

Casting of Ballots:
  • Prohibit states from sending out unrequested absentee ballots for federal elections.
  • Bars anyone other than the voter, an election official, or the post office from submitting a ballot to a polling location during federal elections.
  • Prohibits use of public ballot collection boxes in federal elections.
  • Requires that absentee ballots be received by the close of election day for federal elections.
  • Requires a voter to provide proof of I.D. for absentee voting and in-person voting in federal elections, creating equal treatment for all ballots.
  • Requires voters to produce a matching SSN printed on their ballot in federal elections. Additionally, requires election officials to cross-check the SSN on a ballot with the voter’s registration and submit such data to Congress.
  • Maintains current protections for military and overseas voters.
Tabulation of Ballots:
  • Requires that at least two representatives of each Presidential campaign in a general election be permitted to observe polls and vote counting operations.
  • Requires that ballot counting, once begun, continue until completed—no delays or pauses.
  • Requires the audit of ballot tabulation systems within the 30-day period following a federal election.

Sep 22, 2011
Here are the details. Think this will fly?
Voter Registration:
  • Prohibits automatic voter registration for federal elections.
  • Requires voter citizenship verification to register to vote in federal elections.
  • Requires full Social Security Numbers (SSN) to register to vote in federal elections.
  • Requires federal courts to notify state election officials when an individual is excused from jury duty because they are not a citizen.

Casting of Ballots:
  • Prohibit states from sending out unrequested absentee ballots for federal elections.
  • Bars anyone other than the voter, an election official, or the post office from submitting a ballot to a polling location during federal elections.
  • Prohibits use of public ballot collection boxes in federal elections.
  • Requires that absentee ballots be received by the close of election day for federal elections.
  • Requires a voter to provide proof of I.D. for absentee voting and in-person voting in federal elections, creating equal treatment for all ballots.
  • Requires voters to produce a matching SSN printed on their ballot in federal elections. Additionally, requires election officials to cross-check the SSN on a ballot with the voter’s registration and submit such data to Congress.
  • Maintains current protections for military and overseas voters.
Tabulation of Ballots:
  • Requires that at least two representatives of each Presidential campaign in a general election be permitted to observe polls and vote counting operations.
  • Requires that ballot counting, once begun, continue until completed—no delays or pauses.
  • Requires the audit of ballot tabulation systems within the 30-day period following a federal election.
I am not an expert, but aren't all of these rules left in the hands of the states by the constitution?

Status
Not open for further replies.