VOTE! Election thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What will be the results of todays vote?

• Trump wins big

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Trump wins small

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • No decision by tomorrow morning

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • Biden wins small

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • Biden wins big

Votes: 6 8.5%

• Total voters

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Well, I suppose if I actually thought Trump was a threat to democracy, I could understand a conservative voting for Biden. I'm just not seeing this threat though.

I mean the power of the executive branch has been growing for decades. Sure Trump has taken advantage of that and has continued pushing it but Hillary would've done the same, Biden will do the same and so will the next R or D to sit in that office...this is a problem with our government in general, it's not limited to Trump.

I don't like it any more than you do but I don't see the establishment GOP and DNC, who have allowed this to happen, to put a stop to it....and few people could go on the mount rushmore of career establishment politicians ahead of Biden right now....he, along with the likes of McConnell and Pelosi, are as much to blame for allowing things to get this bad as anybody. The man was a part of the government for 40 years...why put him back there???

However, if we want to look at specifics, I see abusing the fisa court to attack political opponents as a very serious threat to democracy. And who was VP when that happened....oh yes, Joe Biden. You're right this is a pretty binary decision and you're also right that it sucks.
The argument for Trump being Authoritarian blah blah blah has always been false. Simple question. How many true authoritarians in fairly recent history advocated for their subjects to freely keep and bear arms? NONE.

Even Hitler stated
"History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own fall."

Don't be afraid of Trump. Be very wary of the politician who wants to rule over an unarmed populace.

Mar 11, 2006
Do you make over $400K per year? If not, then don't be super worried about your taxes going up early in a Biden Administration.

Long term though, man that's a tough one regardless of who is in charge. The bill for our covid related spending is going to come due at some point.
First, over $400k is certainly a nice amount, but it is not super wealthy.
But he also released his plan for 401k. That will negatively effect many savers who are well below 400k.

Mar 11, 2006
What is his 401K plan summarized?? I'm too lazy to look it up.
He is proposing to set the tax deferment at 26%. Good for low income citizens. Potential large tax increase for middle and high income families. The Tax Policy Center estimates that couples filing jointly with above $80,250 in income will pay more in taxes.

Simply put, this is a hidden tax increase. His claim of no tax increase for those under $400k is a bold face lie. Under the Biden plan my family will pay thousands more in taxes.

Nov 6, 2010
He is proposing to set the tax deferment at 26%. Good for low income citizens. Potential large tax increase for middle and high income families. The Tax Policy Center estimates that couples filing jointly with above $80,250 in income will pay more in taxes.

Simply put, this is a hidden tax increase. His claim of no tax increase for those under $400k is a bold face lie. Under the Biden plan my family will pay thousands more in taxes.
I'm gonna have to research, I still don't understand what this means.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1308509049462370305

According to the report, the agency is expected to issue new guidance as early as this week to build public trust regarding the virus’s efficacy and safety, which polls show has significantly declined since May as President Trump has continued to emphasize a speedy release.

Instead of just green lighting the vaccine with emergency clearance, as was done with convalescent plasma and hydroxychloroquine, the FDA is expected to ask manufacturers to follow participants in late-stage clinical trials for a median of at least two months after they’ve received a second vaccine shot, two anonymous people familiar with the situation told The Washington post.

The FDA is also expected to require at least five severe Covid-19 cases in the placebo group for each trial, as well as a sampling of older people with the virus, to prove its efficacy.

This new guidance would make the clearance of a vaccine before the election on November 3 fairly unlikely.

A detailed plan from Moderna, one of the two companies leading the race to develop a vaccine, predicted it could take until next year to assure the vaccine works, while Pfizer has said it could have data ready for the FDA to review by late October, though the trial timelines for both suggest it will be a close call.

Mar 11, 2006
I'm gonna have to research, I still don't understand what this means.
What frustrates me about the MSM is that they are silent on Biden’s tax proposals. They just regurgitate his false claim that he is only raising taxes on the wealthy.

I wouldn’t just take my word for it that he is raising taxes. Look at groups that specialize in tax information and look at it from multiple sides.
For example, the left-leaning Tax Policy Center. They state Biden is raising taxes on most Americans.
Also, read the more centrists Tax Foundation or the right-leaning American Enterprise Institute. Both state Biden is raising taxes on most.
Plus, researches from Wharton estimate “that at least 85 percent of American taxpayers will see a tax increase under the Biden plan.”

Biden ”I will only raise taxes on those making more than $400k” is this years “you can keep your plan”. Both statement wildly inaccurate, both obviously false with only even a small investigation, both believed by low information voters, and both repeated non-stop by MSM pundits as if they were true.

Last edited:
May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Well, I suppose if I actually thought Trump was a threat to democracy, I could understand a conservative voting for Biden. I'm just not seeing this threat though.

I mean the power of the executive branch has been growing for decades. Sure Trump has taken advantage of that and has continued pushing it but Hillary would've done the same, Biden will do the same and so will the next R or D to sit in that office...this is a problem with our government in general, it's not limited to Trump.

I don't like it any more than you do but I don't see the establishment GOP and DNC, who have allowed this to happen, to put a stop to it....and few people could go on the mount rushmore of career establishment politicians ahead of Biden right now....he, along with the likes of McConnell and Pelosi, are as much to blame for allowing things to get this bad as anybody. The man was a part of the government for 40 years...why put him back there???

However, if we want to look at specifics, I see abusing the fisa court to attack political opponents as a very serious threat to democracy. And who was VP when that happened....oh yes, Joe Biden. You're right this is a pretty binary decision and you're also right that it sucks.
If Trump is a dictator, he’s the absolute weakest one in the history of mankind. He allows the media to constantly trash him with what are mostly lies, he allows the opposing party to impeach him based on a total fallacy, and he’s about to subject himself to an election where the fraud that occurs will be completely to his detriment and his opponent’s benefit. If Trump is trying to threaten our democracy he’s atrocious at it.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
If Trump is a dictator, he’s the absolute weakest one in the history of mankind. He allows the media to constantly trash him with what are mostly lies, he allows the opposing party to impeach him based on a total fallacy, and he’s about to subject himself to an election where the fraud that occurs will be completely to his detriment and his opponent’s benefit. If Trump is trying to threaten our democracy he’s atrocious at it.
Kind of similar to how he is the worst racist in history and the worst anti-semite in history and the worst homophobe in history. I guess when the left says Trump is the absolute worst there is a grain of truth in it.

Last edited:
May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1308749727974948864
Who knows, maybe Trump’s conspiracy theories will turn out to have at least some truth. Unlike the totally false Russian collusion conspiracy theory that CNN and the rest of the MSM media pushed (and knew was false all along). Nothing Trump could ever do or say will make things easier for Putin than that. I can’t imagine the entertainment Putin got out of that.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Who knows, maybe Trump’s conspiracy theories will turn out to have at least some truth. Unlike the totally false Russian collusion conspiracy theory that CNN and the rest of the MSM media pushed (and knew was false all along). Nothing Trump could ever do or say will make things easier for Putin than that. I can’t imagine the entertainment Putin got out of that.
Russian State TV has been running a segment of how Putin will offer Trump a job if he loses the election...presumably as satire

Nov 6, 2010
While the media certainly did have a field day with the story and went off on some pretty wild tangents, is it really honest to call Russian collusion "totally false"?? I mean Trump's campaign manager worked directly with Russian intelligence on election strategy, and as far as I can tell, that is not even in dispute.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
While the media certainly did have a field day with the story and went off on some pretty wild tangents, is it really honest to call Russian collusion "totally false"?? I mean Trump's campaign manager worked directly with Russian intelligence on election strategy, and as far as I can tell, that is not even in dispute.
IIRC there were a crap ton of charges, guilty pleas, and prison sentences handed down in that investigation. The most in any POTUS staff ever I think.