Even the USPS is spying on you...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 12, 2008
The U.S. Postal Service admitted during a Wednesday meeting to spying on citizens with its law enforcement arm, claiming it worked with other agencies to track Americans' social media posts.

Chief Postal Inspector Gary Barksdale briefed lawmakers on the Oversight Committee regarding the program known as iCOP, or Internet Covert Operations Program, but could not provide a date for when it was initiated.

Yahoo obtained and published documents related to iCOP, which includes an operation where analysts page through social media sites to look for 'inflammatory' posts, including messages about planned protests.

https://news.yahoo.com/the-postal-s...s-americans-social-media-posts-160022919.html

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
How do you spy on someone by viewing material they posted online with the SOLE reason of other people seeing it??
I don't think it's as much spying. Probably more like profiling.
Point is, why is the usps spending money doing this when there are already organizations (cia) that do this to determine potential threats?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
A perfect example of big government bureaucracy at work. A program that loses money on its normal operations, spending even more money on something it has no business doing. Why does the usps even have a law enforcement arm? Can the FBI not investigate and enforce laws that apply to mail?

The worst part of this is the gigantic meh it will garner from we the people. We simply don't care anymore what the government does, we just accept it. Future generations will curse us for our apathy.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I don't think it's as much spying. Probably more like profiling.
Point is, why is the usps spending money doing this when there are already organizations (cia) that do this to determine potential threats?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Yeah, I don't disagree that it's a misuse of funds. Just an odd choice to not run with that and instead run with "The post office is spying on us! :runaway:" I guess it gets clicks though...