• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
  • Some things are still wonky, such as colors, some old attachments, features that need to be re-added, and the new 1st-party billing system. Bear with us while we clean up the database a tad.

Facilities/Construction Update

I'm curious to see what the new lab building looks like and how big it is

It will be next door to the Arch building which is only two stories and across the street from the ATRC building which is four....
Actually, the original armory building part of the architecture building is three stories. Too many nights on the third floor power-bombing anything with caffeine in it, chain smoking (yeah, smoking was permitted in there in the late 80s) and screaming out a blood-curdling catharsis from time to time while on your second, third or fourth night without sleep. In 1989 a classmate fell off the roof (wanted to watch the sunrise). Bet he knows exactly how many floors there are, too.

How's the progress on the Business school coming?

They have cleared the stacks (classrooms, stairwell, etc.) on the far north side of the old building, as well as the trees and what looks like two rows of parking :cursing:

Nothing other than that and some dirt work. Moving pretty slow. Lots of utilities work in the area. I think that could be the slow down.

I'll try to go over and get some photos this week.

soccer is getting a total remodel AT the location where they currently play......it was decided that the soccer team was better served right there where there was more student housing and traffic......I think the condition of the field might have had something to do with the coaches wanting to remain there as well

They have cleared the stacks (classrooms, stairwell, etc.) on the far north side of the old building, as well as the trees and what looks like two rows of parking :cursing:

Nothing other than that and some dirt work. Moving pretty slow. Lots of utilities work in the area. I think that could be the slow down.

I'll try to go over and get some photos this week.
It is probably going slower now that they decided to add a basement to the building

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
More recent picture with more steel up:

Also there is a new CEAT undergraduate laboratory building in the planning stages. I believe it would go between the ATRC and Architecture buildings.
Well look at that. A new building that is sticking with the campus theme... Too bad the design of the new business building didn't stick with the original.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Just went and looked at the new business building's design. What the hell happened? The last design I saw was awesome. This new one is not cool.

I heard soccer is moving over by the Colvin/Seretean/Annex where they currently play intramurals. Not sure if it's a temporary move while they remodel or what.
PS- I'm low man on any totem pole, so I'm sure all that is subject to change and through various people.

I heard soccer is moving over by the Colvin/Seretean/Annex where they currently play intramurals. Not sure if it's a temporary move while they remodel or what.
PS- I'm low man on any totem pole, so I'm sure all that is subject to change and through various people.
unless something has changed since late April, according to one of the assoc. ath directors, the plan was still to completely remodel the current location.....no location change

stonewallpoke

가라
A/V Subscriber
Got to drive by the new dorms today, and they look spiffy, in my opinion. I'm sure there's interior work still to be done, but they're either done or close to done on a retaining wall between it and Cowboy Mall.

This may relate, but I noticed on the Board of Regents agenda from last Friday, the university is selecting "on-call consultants to assist the University with the design and construction of new intramural sports fields."

I wonder if they will remain next to the Colvin/Seretean Wellness Center or be moved?

Got to drive by the new dorms today, and they look spiffy, in my opinion. I'm sure there's interior work still to be done, but they're either done or close to done on a retaining wall between it and Cowboy Mall.

Yes, they will be finished the end of July.

Also, they are moving the awkward pedestrian crosswalk light by the Colvin down to the east at the new University Commons. Should be a light now where the street that runs in front of the Colvin intersects with HOF. Will be a much safer crosswalk for the 1,100 or so students living at the Commons.

This may relate, but I noticed on the Board of Regents agenda from last Friday, the university is selecting "on-call consultants to assist the University with the design and construction of new intramural sports fields."

I wonder if they will remain next to the Colvin/Seretean Wellness Center or be moved?
Oh, that's interesting. Obviously they'll have to have intramurals somewhere. I know they played rugby and some intramurals farther north just past McElroy. They may be deciding where to move them. All it really takes is large open fields that can be marked. So, I'm not sure hoe much design/construction you would need for that...