Fall Practice Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
That is what I keep saying. People on here keep talking about him making freshman mistakes and all that stuff. Well he is going to make mistakes. When you play any sport there is going to be mistakes, regardless if you are a freshman or a senior. Heck if he was perfect then you might as well just go ahead and label him as the greatest of all time. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can guarantee that he will make a few head scratching mistakes. That just comes with learning. But it doesn't mean you can't be good also. I thought Weeden made a lot of mistakes his first year of a starter, and even some what are you doing moments. But that didn't take away from the good things that he did do well.
I don't disagree, but we still have no idea what he'll do in real game situations. Its encouraging to hear good practice reports, but the realist in me wants to see some actual in-game evidence. Alex Cate apparently outperformed Weeden in practice, so I usually don't go by the practice performance standard.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
That is what I keep saying. People on here keep talking about him making freshman mistakes and all that stuff. Well he is going to make mistakes. When you play any sport there is going to be mistakes, regardless if you are a freshman or a senior. Heck if he was perfect then you might as well just go ahead and label him as the greatest of all time. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can guarantee that he will make a few head scratching mistakes. That just comes with learning. But it doesn't mean you can't be good also. I thought Weeden made a lot of mistakes his first year of a starter, and even some what are you doing moments. But that didn't take away from the good things that he did do well.

Agreed. Weeden made his share of mistakes last year. He had 3 picks in the Iowa St. game, he threw a pick on our first play from scrimmage in the Fiesta Bowl, just to name a few. It happens. But based on what the coaches and players are saying, I see no reason to think that our expectations shouldn't be very high for Lunt. I think he's gonna be a stud THIS year.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
I don't disagree, but we still have no idea what he'll do in real game situations. Its encouraging to hear good practice reports, but the realist in me wants to see some actual in-game evidence. Alex Cate apparently outperformed Weeden in practice, so I usually don't go by the practice performance standard.
I think that with Cate, it was a matter of him WORKING harder in practice and Weeden being too lackadaisical. As for what he'll do in game situations, Gundy and Monken have said that he does very well in the pocket, even under a lot of pressure. That's just another reason that he won the starting job. Yeah, he hasn't faced a defense like Texas yet, but he's a big physical kid, and has shown that he'll stand in there and take a hit--This, according to coaches and players. That's good enough for me.

Feb 6, 2007
Edmond
Yeah taking hits has a way of rattling the best of them, just watched last years bedlam game again...boy did we rattle L Jones in that one lol.

Jul 17, 2007
I think that with Cate, it was a matter of him WORKING harder in practice and Weeden being too lackadaisical. As for what he'll do in game situations, Gundy and Monken have said that he does very well in the pocket, even under a lot of pressure. That's just another reason that he won the starting job. Yeah, he hasn't faced a defense like Texas yet, but he's a big physical kid, and has shown that he'll stand in there and take a hit--This, according to coaches and players. That's good enough for me.
To this day I still don't get what Gundy was doing with Cate. Back then I made it to a few practices and thought if Cate ever played a game that he would struggle bad. The dude just had a highschool arm and he couldn't really run on top of that. Every time I saw him in person, I just couldn't see one thing that he was really good at. When Gundy announced him as the starter in the Colorado game, I immediately thought it was a mistake. I thought, well maybe he was doing something different in the other practices that I didn't see.

dash

Territorial Marshal
Oct 3, 2008
Edmond, OK
Weeden made a lot of mistakes last year as well... When you throw as many passes as OSU does, there are going to be plenty of mistakes...

Jul 17, 2007
Weeden made a lot of mistakes last year as well... When you throw as many passes as OSU does, there are going to be plenty of mistakes...
Yeah when Gundy and Monken start to get a little worried is when I will start to worry. But right now they aren't worried, so I'm not.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
To this day I still don't get what Gundy was doing with Cate. Back then I made it to a few practices and thought if Cate ever played a game that he would struggle bad. The dude just had a highschool arm and he couldn't really run on top of that. Every time I saw him in person, I just couldn't see one thing that he was really good at. When Gundy announced him as the starter in the Colorado game, I immediately thought it was a mistake. I thought, well maybe he was doing something different in the other practices that I didn't see.
The only logical explanation(s) I've come to are these:

1) Cate was highly rated coming out of HS, if I remember correctly, and Gundy may have felt a little obligated to give him a shot based on some recruiting promises or something...? Or something political/behind the scenes.
2) Gundy wanted to give Cate a chance after his hard work, and simultaneously wanted to motivate Weeden.
3) Gundy literally mis-evaluated Cate and Weeden's abilities.

Either way, that mistake alone is enough for me to be cautiously optimistic about Lunt. If he succeeds, it won't because Gundy chose him as the starter, it will be because Lunt is a good football player. I hope he succeeds, because it will prove a lot to many people, both about Gundy (and all the coaches) and Lunt, himself. Not that the coaches have any "proving" to do.....it'll just put some of my own concerns to rest.

EDIT: Please don't let this post derail the practice thread. I'm really glad to hear that Lunt is doing well! Sounds like we're in for an exciting season if he keeps this up when it counts!

PistolChad

Galaxy Stranger
A/V Subscriber
Jun 23, 2004
Brandon Sheperd and CJ Curry play the same position Justin Blackmon played last year.
I know Curry was playing the Z and Sheperd sounded like he was more of a prototypical Z too and not an X...but then the TW had him listed on the IR depth chart - that surprised me.

Jul 17, 2007
The only logical explanation(s) I've come to are these:

1) Cate was highly rated coming out of HS, if I remember correctly, and Gundy may have felt a little obligated to give him a shot based on some recruiting promises or something...? Or something political/behind the scenes.
2) Gundy wanted to give Cate a chance after his hard work, and simultaneously wanted to motivate Weeden.
3) Gundy literally mis-evaluated Cate and Weeden's abilities.

Either way, that mistake alone is enough for me to be cautiously optimistic about Lunt. If he succeeds, it won't because Gundy chose him as the starter, it will be because Lunt is a good football player. I hope he succeeds, because it will prove a lot to many people, both about Gundy (and all the coaches) and Lunt, himself. Not that the coaches have any "proving" to do.....it'll just put some of my own concerns to rest.

EDIT: Please don't let this post derail the practice thread. I'm really glad to hear that Lunt is doing well! Sounds like we're in for an exciting season if he keeps this up when it counts!
Yeah Cate still has to be the most single confusing thing that Gundy has ever done. At least we could make sense out of some of other Gundy's questionable things, but that whole Cate deal still confuses me to this day. I mean, no completions bad? I didn't think that was possible.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Stop it.

Just effing stop it.

okstate987

Special Teams Coach
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Denver, CO
Yeah Cate still has to be the most single confusing thing that Gundy has ever done. At least we could make sense out of some of other Gundy's questionable things, but that whole Cate deal still confuses me to this day. I mean, no completions bad? I didn't think that was possible.
Trotting Zac out in bedlam that year with a shoulder injury and a hurt ankle also made me scratch my head, I'm glad he seems to be making better decisions since then. I think having the workload lessened by hiring an OC has really allowed him to focus on HC duties and he has been an excellent decision maker since.

Jul 17, 2007
Trotting Zac out in bedlam that year with a shoulder injury and a hurt ankle also made me scratch my head, I'm glad he seems to be making better decisions since then. I think having the workload lessened by hiring an OC has really allowed him to focus on HC duties and he has been an excellent decision maker since.
Well see that one I could understand. Zac Robinson was kind of the first QB to lead us out of mediocrity. I could very well see Gundy feeling that he owed it to him to let him play. Especially with Zac wanting to play.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
I heard Monken say the defense won the scrimmage Saturday. I guess Lunt threw a couple picks but that is going to happen. With Broderick Brown in there and younger corners getting experienced. Said Bill Young threw in a Tampa 2 defense and did some things different. Sounds like we had some holding and offsides, struggled a bit more. I'm sure we moved the ball some. I'm kinda glad to see both sides competing. Takes both sides to win games.

Also glad Lunt and WR's are seeing different looks.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
I heard Monken say the defense won the scrimmage Saturday. I guess Lunt threw a couple picks but that is going to happen. With Broderick Brown in there and younger corners getting experienced. Said Bill Young threw in a Tampa 2 defense and did some things different. Sounds like we had some holding and offsides, struggled a bit more. I'm sure we moved the ball some. I'm kinda glad to see both sides competing. Takes both sides to win games.

Also glad Lunt and WR's are seeing different looks.
Gundy said that we completed our 2nd scrimage and still don't have any holding calls.