Fat Tire.....Better in a Can?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
Yes. But the next question is "What kind of glass?"
I recommend CLEAN ones.
Yep, clean is important. One local bar here does not clean their glasses well and you can always smell the soap/dishwater while you're drinking the beer.

I really just prefer standard pint glasses, but would like to get some of the specialty ones designed for specific styles. Unfortunately I have no more room in my cabinets so that will have to wait.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
Yep, clean is important. One local bar here does not clean their glasses well and you can always smell the soap/dishwater while you're drinking the beer.

I really just prefer standard pint glasses, but would like to get some of the specialty ones designed for specific styles. Unfortunately I have no more room in my cabinets so that will have to wait.
same problem here. I have found that the Sam Adams specialty glasses work well as a good multipurpose glass. It's a little gimmicky, but the laser etching, IMO, really does work.

Carneyman14

I wanna be formal, but I'm here to party
A/V Subscriber
Oct 20, 2008
Minneapolis, MN.
Besides the Sam Adams glasses, I had seen a friend who had a budweiser one which had the Bud Eagle etched into the bottom of the glass. It was freaking sweet. I think he picked it up at the brewery in st louis.
I had a Miller lite Glass (just broke it last week :() that the etching was the Miller Lite logo. made the beer have that "crispness". I have a couple more bud light glasses that have etchings in a "swastika" shape thats really cool

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
I have a Joe's cup from a $1 Joe's cup night back in college that has a melted spot in the bottom that creates bubbles. So I guess you could say I have a cup with etching in it.

Sep 3, 2008
A few months ago during a trip to England, we hit a Belgian cafe one night (The Belgian Cafe, ironically, in Eastbourne) and ended up drinking Kwak in the tradtitional Kwak glass/stand. It was a great brew, and I am searching for it in Tulsa. McNellie's has it, but not sure if they serve in the Kwak glass (I suspect not).

Erick

Master in the art of Gemütlichkeit
Jun 11, 2006
Yukon, Oklahoma:
Love me some Paulaner and I am from German heritage so. Yeah. :whistle:
If you can find it, you may become a convert. I love Paulaner but I don't think it matches the smaller, rural Ayinger. Best Oktoberfest on the planet. The Jarhundert is about as good as a bright lager as you can find in my opinion.

http://en.ayinger-bier.de/?pid=82

I'll have to give Fat Tire a shot in the can (what?!) I noticed long ago the biscuit/chocolate notes were absent from the last times I had it in the bottle a few years ago. Between those two characteristics and the perfect ballance, it made it one of my all time favorites. I will always wonder if my clone recipe nailed it or not. Only the garage floor, driveway and the street know know now.

Carneyman14

I wanna be formal, but I'm here to party
A/V Subscriber
Oct 20, 2008
Minneapolis, MN.
If you can find it, you may become a convert. I love Paulaner but I don't think it matches the smaller, rural Ayinger. Best Oktoberfest on the planet. The Jarhundert is about as good as a bright lager as you can find in my opinion.

http://en.ayinger-bier.de/?pid=82

I'll have to give Fat Tire a shot in the can (what?!) I noticed long ago the biscuit/chocolate notes were absent from the last times I had it in the bottle a few years ago. Between those two characteristics and the perfect ballance, it made it one of my all time favorites. I will always wonder if my clone recipe nailed it or not. Only the garage floor, driveway and the street know know now.
Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't met an Oktoberfest that I haven't liked, so I'm sure Ayinger will not disappoint. Will be on the lookout.