Final X - Stillwater (Wrestling)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
So Braydon Thompson, a HS Jr and OSU Commit for the Class of 23 was the big talk of the tournament OSU wise. Because he had already qualified for U20 World Team Trials, he put it on the line against grown ass men in the Senior division and finished 6th. He is a top 25 overall guy in Class of 23 (and probably rising) and top at his weight class (170), but projects a little bigger in college (here he wrestled at what is 174.).

Jordan Oliver had himself a tournament as usual, and lost a close one to Alex Pantaleo, the 1 seed in a really close one. Jordan Williams looked about like we expect and he won a wild one with some great par terre defense in his 3rd place match for U20.

Dieringer was as disappointing as you can be (which isnt very) with 4 pins and a tech fall, only losing a TIGHT one to Vincenzo Joseph.

What does this mean for our Senior Guys? The Open is the second to last chance for most of them to qualify for the World Team Trials Challenge Tournament to try to make the World Team. We might see one or two of our guys at the last chance tournament in a couple of weeks. You qualify by finishing in the top 7, or having already qualified, so here is who is eligible now:

61 Kg: Carter Young
65 kg: Jordan Oliver (also at 70, where he is expected), Dean Heil
70 kg: Jordan Oliver
79 kg: Alex Dieringer, Braydon Thompson

And Daton Fix sitting at Final X waiting. Should be good stuff!

Last edited:

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Daton Fix is in Final X at 61kg.

Probably won't see Carter. Don't think they want him cutting weight. Will probably see him at U23s at 65kg.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
The Cowboy Wrestling Club (our RTC) is hosting a tailgate for Final X as well from 11am-2pm in the Hall of Fame parking lot.

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
OK, so the World Team Trials Challenge Tournament is this weekend (starts 10 am CST Saturday on Flo). For a refresher (if you don't want to read above) the winner of the WTT moves on to Final X IF someone is already waiting there for them because they were awesome at last year's Olympics or World Tournament. What is Final X? It's a wrestle-off to see who makes the US world team and competes for a world title later this summer.

Anyway, here are the future, current and former Pokes still in play for the world team if they win WTT (or make the finals if someone isn't already waiting in Final X at their weight)

65 Kg: Dean Heil (10 seed)
65 Kg: Carter Young (12 seed)
70 kg: Jordan Oliver (3 seed)
79 kg: Brayden Thompson (9 seed)
79 kg: Chance Marsteller (5 seed, Do/can/should we claim Marsteller?)
79 kg: Alex Dieringer (3 seed)
125 kg: Derek White (11 seed)

I've got a killer weekend, especially with trying to keep up with the Cowgirls, but I'll try to keep y'all updated.

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
WTT Results

(10) Dean Heil - 65 Kg
Rd of 16: Loses 6-0 to (7) Luke Pletcher.
Consi of 8: Got tech falled 11-0 by (1) Kendric Maple
OUT

(12) Carter Young - 65 Kg
Rd of 16: Loses 9-7 to (5) Matthew Kolodzik. Young was down 6-0 and fought back but just not enough.
Consi of 8: Loses 4-4 (criteria) to (13) Joshua Saunders after being up 4-0 with 36 seconds left. Gave up TD with 5 seconds left.
OUT

(3) Jordan Oliver - 70 kg
Quarters: Beats (6) Michael Blockhus 4-2. Too Much defense by Oliver for Blockhus to come back after being down 4-1.
Semis: Beat (2) Ryan Deakin 7-4 to make the finals.
Finals: Will face (4) Zain Retherford at Final X in Stillwater!

(9) Brayden Thompson - 79 Kg
Rd of 16: Beats (8) Nick Reenan 5-2. Down 2-0 in first, comes back and scores 2 takedowns in 2.
Quarters: Got tech falled 10-0 by (1) David McFadden
Consi: Lost to (4) Carter Starocci 10-1 after only being down 2-1 heading into the 2nd period.
OUT

(5) Chance Marsteller - 79 Kg
Quarters: Beat (4) Carter Starocci 5-4 with a takedown with 18 seconds left.
Semis: Beat (1) David McFadden 5-2
Finals: (2) Vincezo Joseph

(3) Alex Dieringer - 79 Kg
Quarters: Dominates (6) Isaiah Martinez 14-3 tech fall. Started out close, then Ringer put it on.
Semis: Lost 3-2 to (2) Vincenzo Joseph giving up a takedown with 5 seconds left. Ringer had several chances, but Joseph had some good defense.
Consi Semis: Lost 5-1 to (4) Carter Starocci
OUT

(11) Derek White -125 Kg
Rd of 16: Upsets (6) Kyven Gadsen 5-2 with a TD and 3 push outs.
Quarters: 11-0 Tech Fall loss to (3) Anthony Cassioppi
Consi of 8(2): Beat (12) Ceron Francisco 4-0 with two 1st period takedowns.
Consi of 4: Beat (10) Christian Lance 2-1 with two pushouts in first period.
Consi Semis: Lost 2-1 to (4) Dominique Bradley.
OUT

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
First round went pretty close according to seeds for the Pokes, except Derek White upset Kyven Gadsen. Carter Young was 2 and out, which was a little disappointing since he was really in both matches. Heil gets a tough draw in Consolations with one seed Maple being upset in his first match by Evan Henderson.

Aug 10, 2004
Stillwater
How was the crowd?

Can't believe Fix and Oliver both went down 2 matches to 1.

Fix is in a slight slump and possibly slid backwards the last couple years.

Nov 28, 2021
Stillwater OK
The crowd was small. The middle level was maybe 25% full. Daton looked off and really got pushed around. Overall it was a fun event but the two cowboys did not have the showing we wanted to see.

Mar 23, 2013
Shortly after Daton lost to Seth in their 2nd match Jenna Burkert’s injury took the air out of GIA. Seeing an athlete down that long reminds you that there are things worse than coming up a little short on the scoreboard.

I was extremely grateful to be there to see all those world-class wrestlers compete to represent the U.S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
So still sad that I didn't go, but disappointed in both our turnout and our Cowboys performance. have to remember these are some of the best guys in the world they are wrestling - but still hurts to finish second.

Anyway - here is the first half of the team representing the USA at Worlds! Give 'em hell Men and Ladies!

57KG: Thomas Gilman. Won 2-0 over Vito Arujau, 12-2, and 14-2 tech falls in both. Dominating win.

61 KG: Seth Gross. Won 2-1 over Daton Fix in about as close a series as you can get. Fix won Round 1 (5-5) on criteria. Match 2 Gross won 5-4, after Fix went up 3-0 in the first period and 4-1 in the second. Daton had his chances but he just couldn't hold him off. Some funky calls on "grounded/not grounded" on OOB calls too that could have gone either way. Match 3 Daton goes up 4-0 in first, and was up 5-4 with less than a minute. Some bang bang calls that could go either way, but went Gross' way and ends 9-5 in one that was close than the score. Tough, tough deal for Fix.

70 KG: Zain Retherford won 2-1 over Jordan Oliver. Frist Round started slow - 1-1 midway through 2nd. JO Goes up 3-1 with a minute left. Zain gets at TD with 30 seconds left and finishes it off 8-3 defending an upper body lock. Round 2 1st period ends 1-1. JO goes up 5-3 with 2 minutes left. and pulls it out 5-4. Match 3 Zain goes up 2-0 after a BS point from Zain not letting JO go and JO pushed him off him. 4-2 Zain with a minute. Cant leave it to the refs, but definitely some head scratchers on way to a 4-3 win by Zain.

92 KG: J'den Cox wins 2-1 over Nate Jackson. 4-2, 2-3, 3-0.

97 KG: Kyle Snyder techs Kollin Moore 11-0 and 12-2 to roll.

Womens Freestyle:

55 KG: Jacarra Winchester wins with an injury forfeit by Jenna Burkert when she landed awkwardly on her neck. Tough deal, but Burkert said yesterday she was OK.

59 KG: Abigail Nette went 2-0 vs Lexie Basham
65 KG: Mallory Velte beat Forrest Molinari 2-1 (9-1, 1-3, 10-0)
68 KG: Olympic Gold Medalist Tamyrah Mensah Stick dominated Sienna Ramirez 14-3 and 10-0.
76 KG: Dymond Guilford beat Yelena Makoyed 10-5 and 12-2.

Greco-Roman

55 KG: Max Nowry 2-0 over Brady Koontz
63 KG: Jesse Thielke 2-0 over Sammy Jones
72 KG: Benjamin Peak 2-1 over Patrick Smith (not that Pat Smith).
82 KG: Ben Provisor 2-0 over Spencer Woods
130 KG: Cohlton Schultz 2-0 over Tanner Farmer

About 2000 people in attendance. Apparently not the guy that asked for my ticket as it sadly was not used. Bayside High's AC Slater in the house. TIckets were too expensive if they want a crowd, but some amazing athletes in action. The other half of the weights are this Friday in NY. I'll post results just because I'm going to get SOMEONE interested in wrestling, lol.

Aug 10, 2004
Stillwater
I knew several people who wanted to go but had to work Friday and weren’t going to pay the high prices to only see part of it. If tickets had been 10$ I bet 5-6k would have been there.
I said this a month ago and got people got on me hard.they need to realize stillwater is not that big and if they want a crowd $10-15 is what it will take.