First time in Cowboy Country

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Tulley

Wrangler
Feb 27, 2018
IA
So I’m making the trip down to Stillwater for the first time to watch the Pokes take on ISU in a couple of weeks. I’m beyond excited. I’ve been meaning to take the trip down south for awhile now.

Are there any game day things to look out for? Parking? Places to eat? Things to do after the game? I know it will be a great experience. Just thought I’d try to gain some insight before I make the trip. Thank you in advance, all your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Also....sorry if this thread isn’t supposed to be posted in the sports forum.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
My take on restaurants if you’ve never been to Stillwater:
The original Hideaway Pizza is a great option for food, IMO. Eskimo Joe’s is a classic, but the food isn’t really that great. If you really want a burger, I’d prefer the Garage and then walk across to check out Joe’s and the clothing store. All of these options are within walking distance of GIA, so they will be crowded on a game day. Plan ahead to get there early and allow time.

Game days in Stillwater are a lot of fun. I don’t get back as often anymore, so others may have more insights. Have a great time!

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
My take on restaurants if you’ve never been to Stillwater:
The original Hideaway Pizza is a great option for food, IMO. Eskimo Joe’s is a classic, but the food isn’t really that great. If you really want a burger, I’d prefer the Garage and then walk across to check out Joe’s and the clothing store. All of the options are within walking distance of GIA, so they will be crowded on a game day. Plan ahead to get there early and allow time.

Game days in Stillwater are a lot of fun. I don’t get back as often anymore, so others may have more insights. Have a great time!
Joe’s food leaves a lot to be desired. But pick up a shirt for sure.

Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
So I’m making the trip down to Stillwater for the first time to watch the Pokes take on ISU in a couple of weeks. I’m beyond excited. I’ve been meaning to take the trip down south for awhile now.

Are there any game day things to look out for? Parking? Places to eat? Things to do after the game? I know it will be a great experience. Just thought I’d try to gain some insight before I make the trip. Thank you in advance, all your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Also....sorry if this thread isn’t supposed to be posted in the sports forum.

I be up there on that day. But, I’m going to be at the OSU softball games that going on there.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Get a Big Country pizza from Hideaway. I miss the original Hideaway Big Country. We have several Hideaways over here in the OKC area but they can't get that Big Country right.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Get a Big Country pizza from Hideaway. I miss the original Hideaway Big Country. We have several Hideaways over here in the OKC area but they can't get that Big Country right.
The only thing that annoys me is that there are things you can get at the chain Hideaways that you can’t get at the original.
1. 50/50 shrooms and cheese sticks
2. The Boz. Terrible name, fantastic pizza.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
The only thing that annoys me is that there are things you can get at the chain Hideaways that you can’t get at the original.
1. 50/50 shrooms and cheese sticks
2. The Boz. Terrible name, fantastic pizza.
I get the Tulsa Hurricane at the chains which I don't think you can get at the original. Very good pizza also.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Isn't the thing about pizza is that you can order it how you want? Unless they just don't offer the exact toppings that is.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Isn't the thing about pizza is that you can order it how you want? Unless they just don't offer the exact toppings that is.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
You end up paying way more money if you buy a pizza and keep adding toppings vs. buying one of their specialty pizzas. For example, their X-treme pizza has 13 toppings beyond sauce and cheese. A large is $24. If you bought a base large pizza and added 13 toppings, it would be $34.

Nov 5, 2003
morgantown, wv
Nope, get the BBQ Beef and Bacon. Don't forget an "In-Betweener" salad and an ice cold Bud! If the BBQ is a little strong, get a Sausage and Mushroom - the sausage is real sausage, not manufactured sausage turds like Dominos and Pizza Hut.

skirtguy

We gotta go!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
May 4, 2008
Stillwater, OK
www.twitter.com
As someone who doesn't live in Stillwater anymore, I was pretty excited to see this thread and have a nice walk down memory lane.

"Joe's isn't that good, but stop by anyway" and "Hideaway pizza here is the best, but we're going to tell you about the other ones in the state even though you're from Iowa and not visiting Tulsa or OKC."

Classic. :lol:

As for parking, our ISU friend, I've always found the easiest free parking is the shopping center at Hall of Fame and Main. The Food Pyramid shopping center. Easy to get in and out of and a quick five minute walk to GIA or Joe's (not that you're going to eat there, apparently).

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
As someone who doesn't live in Stillwater anymore, I was pretty excited to see this thread and have a nice walk down memory lane.

"Joe's isn't that good, but stop by anyway" and "Hideaway pizza here is the best, but we're going to tell you about the other ones in the state even though you're from Iowa and not visiting Tulsa or OKC."

As for parking, our ISU friend, I've always found the easiest free parking is the shopping center at Hall of Fame and Main. The Food Pyramid shopping center. Easy to get in and out of and a quick five minute walk to GIA or Joe's (not that you're going to eat there, apparently).
Here @skirtguy get the cheese fries at joes. I agree Stan created a staple for Stillwater. Is it the best food in the world? No Is it the worst? Hell no. It is what it is. It is a Stillwater tradition.

Tulley

Wrangler
Feb 27, 2018
IA

Thanks for the tips! I probably didn't make it clear but i'm a big OSU fan, i just live here in Iowa. I know its weird lol

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
If you have enough time and are a Pistol Pete fan, take a 15 minute drive South on 177 to Perkins, OK to see the Frank Eaton home and museum. Check the website for times it is open - it used to be free. Also, the Frank Eaton grave site is in the cemetery nearby.

The Eaton family gave another local family several of Eaton's personal possessions in return for the grave headstone. The possessions were then loaned to OSU and were on display on the 3rd floor of the Student Union in a glass case, but they were stolen shortly after the exhibit was set up. The items were never recovered.

Last edited: