Football Seniors returning in 2021

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Chuba will need to return. He's killed his NFL stock this season, and either needs to prove last season wasn't a fluke, or he'll need to give up on NFL dreams. I could actually see LD or Dez going to the NFL this season before Chuba.

I think we have a number of guys on the defensive side that could go the NFL route and don't need another season.
Rodarius Williams should be a pretty solid NFL lock.
Bundage, Amen, Rodriguez, and Harper seem like late round or UDFA guys, and I'm not sure how staying another season will improve that.

Jenkins could be a higher pick on the OL, but Sills might actually benefit from another year.

In the WR group, Tylan needs to go get paid while he can. Stoner and Wolf should return.

So from that group, here's what I think will happen.

Should go
Jenkins
Rodarius Williams
Tylan Wallace

Could go, but another year wouldn't hurt
LD Brown
Bundage
Amen
Rodriguez
Harper
Sills

Need to stay
Stoner
Wolf
Dez
Chuba

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Chuba will need to return. He's killed his NFL stock this season, and either needs to prove last season wasn't a fluke, or he'll need to give up on NFL dreams. I could actually see LD or Dez going to the NFL this season before Chuba.

I think we have a number of guys on the defensive side that could go the NFL route and don't need another season.
Bundage, Amen, Rodriguez, and Harper seem like late round or UDFA guys, and I'm not sure how staying another season will improve that.

Jenkins could be a higher pick on the OL, but Sills might actually benefit from another year.

In the WR group, Tylan needs to go get paid while he can. Stoner and Wolf should return.

Should go
Jenkins
Rodarius Williams
Tylan Wallace

LD Brown
Bundage
Amen
Rodriguez
Harper
Sills

Need to stay
Stoner
Wolf
Dez
Chuba
Sills was already seeking an additional year for medical hardship when he transferred in so betting he is back as it was already planned he would be here two years. For the rest of them it more likely comes down to whether we can afford to give them all an extra year of scholarship money with our athletic department having such financial issues already.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Sills was already seeking an additional year for medical hardship when he transferred in so betting he is back as it was already planned he would be here two years. For the rest of them it more likely comes down to whether we can afford to give them all an extra year of scholarship money with our athletic department having such financial issues already.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the schools have any choice in this, do they? I thought the NCAA's move to give extra eligibility was pretty clear-cut.

Oct 30, 2007
Wallace, Jenkins, & Williams are all slated to play in the Senior Bowl. Hubbard was honored Saturday with the seniors. I'll be shocked if any of those players choose to return. I'm just hoping that they don't check out for the rest of the season like Justice Hill did a few years ago.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water

Should go
Jenkins
Rodarius Williams
Tylan Wallace

LD Brown
Bundage
Amen
Rodriguez
Harper
Sills

Need to stay
Stoner
Wolf
Dez
Chuba
Chubba has had a bad year “stat” wise, but no way Jackson or brown are anywhere near the level of Hubbard. Any NFL scout will tell you that stats and awards will get you noticed but won’t get you drafted. Chubba has elite speed that can’t be taught, yeah he’s having a disappointing year but he can still post great pro day numbers and combine numbers and boost his stock up.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Wallace, Jenkins, & Williams are all slated to play in the Senior Bowl. Hubbard was honored Saturday with the seniors. I'll be shocked if any of those players choose to return. I'm just hoping that they don't check out for the rest of the season like Justice Hill did a few years ago.
You're only going to see more & more of this as it's been a growing trend for a few years now. Seems like it really started with JaDaveon Clowney at SC.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Chubba has had a bad year “stat” wise, but no way Jackson or brown are anywhere near the level of Hubbard. Any NFL scout will tell you that stats and awards will get you noticed but won’t get you drafted. Chubba has elite speed that can’t be taught, yeah he’s having a disappointing year but he can still post great pro day numbers and combine numbers and boost his stock up.
I also wonder what NFL guys think about his ability to catch the ball reliably & be used more in the passing game. Do they look at him & see similarities to Alvin Kamara? Guy that can run it between the tackles & also be deadly in the short passing game?

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
I think someone asked Gundy today where was T Jenkins on Saturday (wasn’t on the sideline) and Gundy mentioned he’s prepping for the upcoming draft. I took that as he’s opted out for the rest of the year.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the schools have any choice in this, do they? I thought the NCAA's move to give extra eligibility was pretty clear-cut.
All the NCAA can do is give them their eligibility back. That has nothing to do with whether a school offers a scholarship. This has already happened with Wisconsin back in the spring with their spring athletes that got the year back but the school told them all that they would not get an extra scholarship year. Football has more money involved but all schools are hurting bad financial right now. I am betting you will see the transfer market explode with guys that have that extra year but their school tells them sorry no scholarship. Hoping we are not one of them.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
All the NCAA can do is give them their eligibility back. That has nothing to do with whether a school offers a scholarship. This has already happened with Wisconsin back in the spring with their spring athletes that got the year back but the school told them all that they would not get an extra scholarship year. Football has more money involved but all schools are hurting bad financial right now. I am betting you will see the transfer market explode with guys that have that extra year but their school tells them sorry no scholarship. Hoping we are not one of them.
I think you're gonna be absolutely right on that.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I agree with that, but I actually think he has more to prove from a psychological standpoint right now. Given his offseason antics and his apparent lack of focus this season, he has some major red flags at this point. Not to mention this season has also introduced durability concerns (how long has he had this lingering ankle issue?)

If I'm an objective NFL scout, I see a guy with pretty good measurables, but is mentally and physically fragile. He has zero toughness. At best, he's a straightline speed guy that could be a fringe starter or solid backup. At worst, he's a slightly below average backup RB that's injured often, and could easily turn into a Kaepernick-esque outspoken PR nightmare if something doesn't go his way. Personally, I'm not touching Chuba with a 10 ft pole if I'm an NFL GM. Not because he's a bad player, but because the risk isn't worth the reward.

There are teams that could use his skillset, and I hope he gets the chance to prove all those concerns above wrong. He definitely has potential. I just think he's added more questions than answers this season, and might benefit from staying.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I think you're gonna be absolutely right on that.
Well the one thing that is an unknown (at least I have not seen anything), is if that additional benefit of these "super" seniors not counting against the 85 total scholarship limit will be able to follow guys to new teams. If so then teams that have scholarship money can stock up on a lot of extra players. I am sure they will still count against your 25 total player per year limit but a team could possibly really sell out for one great year if they wanted.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma

Should go
Jenkins
Rodarius Williams
Tylan Wallace

LD Brown
Bundage
Amen
Rodriguez
Harper
Sills

Need to stay
Stoner
Wolf
Dez
Chuba
while I agree about Hubbard....Hubbard isn’t coming back. His draft stock is what it is. I was stunned to see him return but this is what happened when you don’t strike when the irons hot!! He’ll get drafted....but him coming back has little to no benefit IMO. Besides there’s a chance he can get hurt again like he is now and even damaged his stock like Bryce Love from Stanford a couple years ago.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
while I agree about Hubbard....Hubbard isn’t coming back. His draft stock is what it is. I was stunned to see him return but this is what happened when you don’t strike when the irons hot!!
He went from Round 2 (last year) to 7th round or UDFA this season, and could maybe get into the 5th round or so with a good year next year.

I just hope if he does declare that he's able to make a roster. If he can stay focused and healthy, he could definitely be a fringe starter or quality RB2. He would be perfect in a 2-3 RB rotation committee somewhere.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
IMO, Chuba has elite speed and is a patient runner. Other than that, he's not NFL quality with his wiggle, ability to make people miss, breaking tackles, and receiving. His blocking is kinda average, not sure about him setting up or following blockers. Our poor offensive line play this year exposed his weaknesses.