1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Football: Tulsa game to Thursday and S Alabama to Friday

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by teibbor, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

@teibbor got it. Trick question because of the after midnight start time for Tulsa. I don't know what that put's Gundy's total for his career, I just think it's an interesting fact about that season.

Counting the bowl game we had games on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday that season.

#41 Jostate, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  2. lagershead

lagershead Sheriff

Nice! A great way to start a 4-day weekend. I plan to watch and then can do other things with my Saturday.

Great news!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Family of Pokes

Except for when they see the $$$$ on the contract, sign the contract, and take the money. Then they dance to the tune of the guy paying the bills. Follow the money...always.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Poke Flyfisher

Holder can use that extra cash to sweeten up the pot to keep Underwood here. Oops! Too late!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  5. LandscapePoke

LandscapePoke Deputy

At least we know it will be a night game.

6. Jostate

Jostate Federal Marshal
    A/V Subscriber

AND

Now it's only 220,230 minutes until football season instead of 222,930 minutes.:koolaid:

It's going to be a long summer.

• Like Like x 5
  7. NorthOKCowboy

NorthOKCowboy Wrangler

OK, senior moment, we didn't have one evening game at home last year did we? And at least 3 11:00 AM games?

8. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal

IMHO, the ACC was better last year and far exceeded the SEC in bowl game win percentage...Btw, the 'much maligned' Big 12 also far exceeded the SEC in win percentage in the bowls as well...Yes, it's a very good conference, BUT much of the hype has to do with the size of their fan bases that pack stadiums all over the south. Alabama being what they are since took Saban over doesn't hurt. Personally I can't stand the hype that surrounds the SEC and what that does to sport of college football.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rack

Rack Federal Marshal

Yep...Not a single home night game...and several 11am games. It was very very hot for several games and we had a major rain delay (3 hours long?) for Pitt. Weird home season last year...If we weren't guaranteed a night game for the Tulsa game then this is a brilliant move which also happens to keep the game out of the long travel holiday weekend.

#49 Rack, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  10. fathermark46

fathermark46 Wrangler

On the bright side we get undivided attention which is very important so long as we win! I do hate it for the attendance and local merchants. The good side is That's 2 days less I have to wait to watch my Cowboys play and hopefully win!

11. CampusCowboy

CampusCowboy Federal Marshal

Anybody heard any more on this? It's a newsok article, so it seems like it should be legit but they haven't confirmed it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Love Love x 1
  12. bacowboy

bacowboy Territorial Marshal

Amid reports of the possibility that TU’s season opener at Oklahoma State could be moved from Sept. 2 to Aug. 31 for television purposes, head coach Philip Montgomery said the school hasn’t been contacted about the potential date change, which TU would have to sign off on.

“Right now, we’re saying we’re playing on Saturday and we’ll see what happens,” Montgomery said.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/tusportsextra/tu-s-philip-montgomery-says-school-hasn-t-been-contacted/article_4ecfe100-cbb5-58e9-8c75-961173b29e98.html

13. petropoke

petropoke Sheriff

Hold strong, Coach Montgomery!

14. CJ4oSu

CJ4oSu Deputy

No way they don't agree to move it to Thursday if the networks ask. They'll want the exposure of being one of the only games on instead of being lost in the shuffle on Saturday.

15. OstatePokes

OstatePokes Territorial Marshal

I was planning to drive to Mobile for the USA game but wouldn't be able to make it if the game is moved up.

16. cowboyinexile

cowboyinexile Hey bartender. Jobu needs a refill!
    A/V Subscriber

My gut reaction was this sucks. Thinking about it a little I don't mind.

Full disclosure-I live 800 miles from Stillwater so these I'm watching on tv.

Losing a home game to Thursday sucks but it's the season opener against a local opponent. It's the first game of the year and is the start to a long weekend. Any other Thursday is a buzzkill but this is a perfect situation that should alleviate many of the negatives. Personally my family spends Labor Day weekend with the in-laws so the opportunity for me to watch us play and then spend the weekend doing family things with people who don't have cable is a positive.

South Alabama is a road game. At home I'm calling bs on a Friday night but away it isn't something that will hurt Stillwater businesses or tailgating. I feel for people choosing between high school football and our game but it's a trade off for a prime time matchup that otherwise would have been on FS1 at 11AM the next day. The fans who can make it to the game will have a better experience and us watching on tv will wake up Saturday morning knowing the outcome and kinda get a weekend back because the game we care about is already done.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TypicalGooner

TypicalGooner Territorial Marshal

Big time programs don't play AT South Alabama.

Big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• LOL LOL x 3
    • Total Poop Total Poop x 3
  18. AshlandFlash

AshlandFlash It seemed like a good idea at the time
    A/V Subscriber

When we want your opinion, we'll tell you what it is... :D

19. matxdad

matxdad Sheriff

But they do play at UTEP???

• LOL LOL x 8
    • Like Like x 4
  20. bixbyosu

bixbyosu Deputy

I agree playing at South Alabama is not what big-time programs do but we need the money I suppose!

• Dislike Dislike x 1