1. You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Football - Who Would Trade Decades with Oklahoma State?

Discussion in 'OSU Sports Forum' started by CTeamPoke, Jan 11, 2017.

1. CTeamPoke

CTeamPoke Creator of "Dumbest Post in OP History!"
    A/V Subscriber

This conversation came up when talking about the last 10 years of OSU football. From 2007-2017, which programs would realistically trade places with our beloved Cowboys?

Out of the AP's All-Time Top 100, I think there are only 10 that certainly would reject the idea of trading decades with the Pokes. Then there are 9 maybes, which leaves 81 absolutely programs out there. This is based on success over the past 10 years. Number of wins, bowl appearances, conference titles, major bowls, etc.

Would Not:
    Ohio State (1)
    Oklahoma (2)
    Alabama (4)
    Florida State (9)
    LSU (11)
    Michigan State (19)
    Clemson (21)
    Wisconsin (24)
    Stanford (33)
    TCU (39)

Maybe:
    USC (5)
    Nebraska (6)
    Texas (8)
    Florida (10)
    Auburn (15)
    Ole Miss (28)
    Oregon (29)
    Virginia Tech (31)
    West Virginia (32)

Absolutely Would:
    Notre Dame (3)
    Michigan (7)
    Penn State (12)
    Miami (13)
    Tennessee (14)
    Georgia (16)
    UCLA (17)
    Texas A&M (18)
    Washington (20)
    Arkansas (22)
    Pitt (23)
    Iowa (25)
    Colorado (26)
    Georgia Tech (27)
    Arizona State (30)
    BYU (34)
    Mizzou (35)
    Purdue (36)
    North Carolina (37)
    Minnesota (38)
    Maryland (40)
    Syracuse (41)
    Army (43)
    Kansas State (44)
    Cal (45)
    Baylor (46)
    Mississippi State (47)
    Houston (48)
    south Carolina (49)
    Northwestern (50)

What do you think?

#1 CTeamPoke, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Pokit N

Pokit N A Gent of Good Intent
    A/V Subscriber

I like where you are going...but I can't tell who the Would Nots or Maybes etc. are...

• Like Like x 1
  3. CTeamPoke

A/V Subscriber

Fixed it. Didn't preview and then didn't look at it... Looked great in the formatting view...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Pokit N

Pokit N A Gent of Good Intent
    A/V Subscriber

Gotcha thanks.

5. Bowers2

Bowers2 #FYB
    A/V Subscriber

The school that gives me the most joy to have passed as a program in this conference is Texas Tech. They know it, we know it, and they would definitely trade their last 10 years for our's. Texas A&M is another one, but I don't believe they'd trade because they are now in their beloved SEC.

• Like Like x 4
  6. BAMF cowboy

BAMF cowboy The Village BAMF

It mostly depends on what metrics you're focusing on, but here are a few I would consider move from 'Absolutely Would' to 'Maybe'

Notre Dame - we've probably been consistently better, but they did make the NC game a few years back. The were destroyed, but you gotta be in it to win it.
    Washington - same reasoning as Notre Dame, made playoffs this year.
    Baylor - *ducks and covers* won 2 conference titles, we've only 1.

Overall I think you've got it pretty much dead on though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Philranger

Philranger Territorial Marshal

I'm not so sure if Baylor would (scandal aside). They won a couple conference titles and a Heisman in there. 07-11 they definitely would trade with us though. 12-16 no way.

8. CTeamPoke

A/V Subscriber

Notre Dame would have been in the playoffs twice and the national title game in 2011 with our records though.

And Washington had a couple of winless seasons in there.

Baylor is tricky. Since it's a full decade, I think that they would trade with us because of how shitty they were before 2012.

I'm not saying that they would totally switch spots with us. Nebraska, Notre Dame, etc. all retain their success and their current conference... Just trading the last 10 years of on field success.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ksupoke

ksupoke We don't need no edgeukashun
    A/V Subscriber

Is this discussion about fan bases or administrators.

fan base;
    no argument maybe a nit here and there but your list is about as good as any

administrators:
    anyone after 26 on this link would (minus the academies and a couple of high priced private u's)
    http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

10. BAMF cowboy

BAMF cowboy The Village BAMF

Which is why I'd put them in the 'maybe' category ;)

If you're talking about an overall consistency, then sure I agree that those three would probably trade their decade with ours. But if you're talking about titles and opportunities at championships, then perhaps they wouldn't.

11. CTeamPoke

A/V Subscriber

I think with brand name Washington and Notre Dame would have been afforded more opportunities at major bowls and championship opportunities than we have... add in that they don't have to play Oklahoma.

What cracks me up about Baylor is that, yes, they did win two conference titles, but their good years started after ours did and our good years are going to last far longer than theirs have.

12. Lab Rat

Lab Rat Hold on while I make a chart

We're tied with Stanford for the 12th most wins since 2007.
    upload_2017-1-11_11-54-35.png

Despite their crappy season this year, Oregon still has 9 more wins than us since 2007. They definitely wouldn't give up those 9 wins and their 1 Heisman, 3 Rose Bowls, 1 Fiesta Bowl, 2 National Championship game appearances with us.

While they trail us in wins, Florida and Auburn wouldn't trade their national championships and Heisman winners with us, despite coaching turnover and some year-to-year inconsistency.

I'd put those three schools into the "would not" list.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I would trade our success for Michigan State's or TCU's, as (unlike Oregon, Florida, and Auburn) neither has appeared in a NCG or had a Heisman winner.

We've been to 1 Fiesta Bowl, 1 Sugar Bowl, 1 Cotton Bowl, and 2 Alamo Bowls since 2007, with no losing seasons and only one 7-6 season.

Michigan State has been to 1 Rose Bowl, 2 Cotton Bowls, and 2 Capital One Bowls since 2007. They've also had 2 losing seasons and two more 7-6 seasons since 2007. Advantage -- OSU.

TCU has been to 1 Rose Bowl, 1 Fiesta Bowl, 1 Peach Bowl, and 1 Alamo Bowl since 2007. They've had two losing seasons and one 7-6 season in that span. Advantage -- OSU.

• Like Like x 2
  13. CTeamPoke

A/V Subscriber

@Lab Rat The Cotton Bowls that Michigan State has been to are of a bit different stature than the Cotton Bowls that we went to... TCU's losing season seal them in the maybe for me. Personally I would take one losing season in exchange for a Rose Bowl championship. That would be pretty sweet... especially since it gave us TCU's best logo...

[​IMG]

14. Lab Rat

TCU has two losing seasons, not one. Plus, we are 4-1 against TCU since they joined the Big 12. One Rose Bowl for them doesn't offset the other significant differences between our program and theirs.

I really don't see anything about the Michigan State's success that offsets their two losing seasons and two 7-6 seasons -- especially not losing 38-0 in the Cotton Bowl.

15. CTeamPoke

A/V Subscriber

Right. I'm not saying that I would trade with TCU, but pointing out why they may not want to trade with us... in my opinion a Rose Bowl is worth one losing season, not two. And yeah Gundy has Fat Pat's number, which is nice. Still not sure TCU would trade that.

I would take getting beat 38-0 to Alabama if it meant we made the playoff. Making the playoff is such an enormous boon for recruiting... if we can make one in the next three years I think that it will launch our program into that Clemson/Oregon level.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lab Rat

Fair enough. I was just explaining why I wouldn't put TCU and MSU in the "Would Not" list and instead might put them in the "Maybe" category. Fun thread and good discussion. :thumbup:

17. UrbanCowboy1

UrbanCowboy1 Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.

This list gets really interesting starting next year. We really start to climb in the 'wins per season per decade' metric. In 2007 we went 7-6, but we went 9-4 in '08. Assuming 11 wins next season:

Capture.PNG

We don't have the NC appearance (even though you could argue we should have had a shot in 2011), which hurts us. But next year we'll be super close to averaging 10 wins a season, which, when you consider where we were in the late 90's, is just staggering. There are a LOT of schools that would trade for that.

• Like Like x 7
  18. oSuJeff1997

oSuJeff1997 Deputy

Not to mention that TCU's wins from 2007-11 were piled up in the MWC.

Our Big 12 wins in the 2007-09 period, in particular were extra impressive, as that's when the Big 12 was probably at its peak, with us, OU, Texas, Texas Tech and Mizzou all having really good teams in that era.

Also -- I get that Rose Bowl has cache, but IMO our win over Stanford and Andrew Luck in the Fiesta Bowl is more impressive than beating Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl

• Like Like x 4
  19. thepoker2

thepoker2 Cowboy

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  20. thepoker2

thepoker2 Cowboy

Sorry, every time I hear the word, "cache", I always think about the George Costanza line about it...

• Like Like x 3