forget about blocked PATs and FGs

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
So new 2020 rule will almost eliminate blocked PATs and FGs. Now only a super fast rush from the outside will result in a block (and how often did that happen ?)

Defenders are not allowed to line up within the body frame of a long snapper when within one yard of the line of scrimmage. Defensive players may not initiate contact with the longer snapper until 1 second has passed after the snap. The rule Is meant to “enhance the protection” of snappers, according to the NCAA.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
So new 2020 rule will almost eliminate blocked PATs and FGs. Now only a super fast rush from the outside will result in a block (and how often did that happen ?)

Defenders are not allowed to line up within the body frame of a long snapper when within one yard of the line of scrimmage. Defensive players may not initiate contact with the longer snapper until 1 second has passed after the snap. The rule Is meant to “enhance the protection” of snappers, according to the NCAA.
This is from the 2019 rule book:
1595453823831.png

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
But the new "can't line up within a body frame" means you'll no longer be able to jump the gap between the snapper and guard.

Vincent Taylor made his lunch money on that move.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Is this some kind of effort to reduce injuries? If yes, then WHAT injuries are they trying to reduce? Snapper? Kicker? Holder? Seems to me there’s a better chance of the Tulsa World providing decent coverage of OSU sports than one of those three getting more than a sore body part.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
But the new "can't line up within a body frame" means you'll no longer be able to jump the gap between the snapper and guard.

Vincent Taylor made his lunch money on that move.
You can still jump the gap, you just have to start from outside the frame. Given the 1 sec delay, you pretty much have to anyway. All they really did was put defenders a second away.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Was there a string of injuries to deep snappers that I am not aware of? I mean if so fine, I just don't remember ever reading about it. If the FG snapper is vulnerable, then so is the punt snapper. And if the punt snapper is vulnerable then so is the center in the shotgun. I figure we're about a decade away from blitzes being illegal.

I will say that the deep snapper is usually a walk on who isn't going pro and nobody ever knows their name unless they do something wrong. So I do have a bit of a soft spot for them. Still this rule seems to be made for no other reason than the rules committee at the NCAA trying to justify their existence.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Was there a string of injuries to deep snappers that I am not aware of? I mean if so fine, I just don't remember ever reading about it. If the FG snapper is vulnerable, then so is the punt snapper. And if the punt snapper is vulnerable then so is the center in the shotgun. I figure we're about a decade away from blitzes being illegal.

I will say that the deep snapper is usually a walk on who isn't going pro and nobody ever knows their name unless they do something wrong. So I do have a bit of a soft spot for them. Still this rule seems to be made for no other reason than the rules committee at the NCAA trying to justify their existence.
I was a deep snapper back in the day. I have three fractures in my lumbar spine. They can't be fixed. It was likely from getting knocked on my ass snap after snap after snap after snap. Lumbar injuries used to be common, not so much any more.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
I was a deep snapper back in the day. I have three fractures in my lumbar spine. They can't be fixed. It was likely from getting knocked on my ass snap after snap after snap after snap. Lumbar injuries used to be common, not so much any more.
Was that football or redhead related?

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
We have coaches. Every team we play against has coaches. Their job is to figure out how to play within these rules and still get the job done. Y'all are freaking out like this is SARS-CoV-3 or something.