Future of college sports question

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2006
This thread is not meant to start a political debate, so I ask that we stay clear of that path. I only mention the following as an introduction for a question to the fan base.

With the direction of college sports in terms of pay for players, student athlete unionization, name licensing, outrageous coaches’ salaries, luxury facilities, and overall amount of money being generated it seems greed by all sides is ruining college sports. Regardless of where you fall on the arguments few could argue that college sports are no longer “amateur”. There are numerous articles predicting the rapid demise of college sports. Several universities are already cutting programs due to lack of funding.

With that said - if ALL colleges decided to end athletic scholarships so that college sports could return to a purely amateur model would you as a fan still fill the stadiums, club seats, and suites? Are you attending football and basketball games because of your love of the university and for the social interaction or to watch what is really semi-pro sports? Would you watch if the talent on the field were made up of walk-on's or two-star kids attending college for an education and sports were just an extracurricular activity? Or, would you dump your season tickets to watch the Tulsa or OKC semi-pro football and basketball teams? The Ivy League does not offer athletic scholarships nor do the military academies so there is a precedent for how it would look. College baseball is another example of how this would look, although they do get partial scholarships.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
This thread is not meant to start a political debate, so I ask that we stay clear of that path. I only mention the following as an introduction for a question to the fan base.

With the direction of college sports in terms of pay for players, student athlete unionization, name licensing, outrageous coaches’ salaries, luxury facilities, and overall amount of money being generated it seems greed by all sides is ruining college sports. Regardless of where you fall on the arguments few could argue that college sports are no longer “amateur”. There are numerous articles predicting the rapid demise of college sports. Several universities are already cutting programs due to lack of funding.

With that said - if ALL colleges decided to end athletic scholarships so that college sports could return to a purely amateur model would you as a fan still fill the stadiums, club seats, and suites? Are you attending football and basketball games because of your love of the university and for the social interaction or to watch what is really semi-pro sports? Would you watch if the talent on the field were made up of walk-on's or two-star kids attending college for an education and sports were just an extracurricular activity? Or, would you dump your season tickets to watch the Tulsa or OKC semi-pro football and basketball teams? The Ivy League does not offer athletic scholarships nor do the military academies so there is a precedent for how it would look. College baseball is another example of how this would look, although they do get partial scholarships.
Totally would continue to attend cowboy baseball games every chance I get. I’ll continue watching and attending if they decide to make college sports completely professional or if they decide to remove athletic scholarships. The one thing that could sour me on cowboy baseball is if it becomes political.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I think I would likely attend, but my love for the school is my driver for my love for Oklahoma State sports so it would, and, in fact, already has...lost a lot of it's innocence for me. Not to go political, but the fact that it has on the college level is a huge disappointment for me and could become a driving factor in my purchasing tickets and attending games in the future. Innocence lost is sad for all of us...this is especially damaging for me as I always viewed college sports especially as such a huge uniting factor in American life.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I’ll put it this way. I still very much enjoy the social interaction of tailgating and watching the games with other fans and alumni, however, I also fully recognize the direction this sport is going and figure I’ll recognize that “tipping point” when I see it. Unfortunately I sense that may be sooner than I think.

InTheKnow

Usually Last to Know
A/V Subscriber
Apr 1, 2007
Oklahoma
It’s difficult to say. Although I’ll always support our athletics, I mainly just want to see solid coaching and good fundamental play on the field/court. Providing the “playing field” in that scenario isn’t any less level, the coaching doesn’t suck, and the players leave it all on the court - I’d like to believe I’d stay interested.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
i'd probably go to MORE events if it were all walk-ons and we got rid of all the semi-pro from college sports.
This. The further it gets away from true amateur athletics, the less I want anything to do with it. I haven't planned or scheduled to watch a professional sporting event (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB...) in person or on TV in literally decades. I do not care. It all bores me to tears.

BUT, my fall schedule, daily, revolves around college football. Not just oSu either. I watch as much B12 football as possible and don't miss many top10 match-ups or big rivalry games. It's my favorite time of year (and quite literally, the only time I watch TV).

Any (much more) movement towards making NCAA sports "semi-pro" and I'll call it quits. I've got buttloads of other hobbies and things I want to do that I neglect every fall. Won't be any skin off my back to just walk away and start doing more travelling or dumping more money and time in to my "toys/hobbies".

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I just love the atmosphere of football and basketball. I didn't go to OSU anyway.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk