George Floyd

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
View attachment 81104
Crickets on this social media platform.
This is a tipping point moment. They were probably carrying out some pretty draconian broken windows policing policies in the area. A single incident isn't the cause of riots and chaos. It will be the whole community that finally blows up not just the people of color. Policing to aggressively gets blowback at some point in time.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
The killing was a bad thing but I don’t think burning down the police precinct is a good idea though...

That is what is happening now in Minneapolis and it’s not likely going to end well.

Well

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
This is not an isolated incident. The militarization of the civil police force for the drug war has created a demon of monumental proportions. The officer and his buddies should go to jail for a long time. But this won't change until there is a fundamental change in civilian peacekeeping. Better screening of applicants, places like CLEET actually teaching a constitutional arrest instead of heavy handed tactics. Judges actually doing there job and kicking cases that have constitutional problems, instead of being a prosecutor in a black robe. Complete abandonment of "harmless error" by the appellate courts on constitutional issues. There's a lot that must change, until that happens, this conduct by law enforcement will continue.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
The Gov of MN has issued an apology to CNN and said it was absolutely ridiculous how the police handled this last night.

The reporter and the film crew were all arrested. The Gov ensured they were released right away with no charges

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1266350483767275522

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Do we have an issue with how police behave when arresting black people in some instances? YES, for sure.
Should cities be burned to the ground and the innocent punished because of it? NO, not at all.

The mentality that the entire society should pay a drastic price for the poor/obscene actions of a few is how we slip into anarchy. Why must city's burn in order to prove a point that has nearly universal agreement, at least in this case...what happens when some of the people escalates into violence and property destruction is that the point of the outburst is lost and/or is now seen as justified by some if not many. The stoking of the fire is the problem, as is the incident...this is like when the guys show up with AK's at the Michigan capital...you lose the focus on your argument when you overreact.

These are the types of things that happened when Obama was in office and early on in the Trump administration...Police incident with minority victim due to heavy handed arrest followed by protest...we have seen this record played on and on...I'm not questioning it's truth Or that it needs to stop, it is and it does, I'm only questioning if the reaction too it is going to stop it, because it the past the extremes of the reaction only seems to divide more and make it worse. A different reaction is needed.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I'm not questioning it's truth Or that it needs to stop, it is and it does, I'm only questioning if the reaction too it is going to stop it, because it the past the extremes of the reaction only seems to divide more and make it worse. A different reaction is needed.
The extremes in the reaction will stop when the extremes in the policing stop. You can not expect one extreme to be tolerated repeatedly without an extreme response....because the extreme response is the most effective way to shine a spotlight on and draw attention to extreme policing in a world of 24hr information sharing.

Police have a an abundance of less than lethal tools to subdue individuals and make an arrest today. However, the training and regulation of use of the less than lethal technology is so varied from dept to dept and state to state by police and many times the less than lethal is the 2nd or 3rd option

Many police depts now use a system of Physical force, then less than lethal, and then Lethal force. However, many times the Physical leads straight to Lethal when the Physical fails. I'm not so sure if more police depts would embrace Less than Lethal FIRST vs physical if it wouldn't curb some of the extreme outcomes

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
The first tweet was in response to peaceful protests. The second tweet was in response to looting & burning buildings to the ground. It isn't really a valid comparison.

I've always had a great deal of respect & admiration for Dr. Martin Luther King. He did things the right way and created lasting change. The world needs more people like him.

BTW, I absolutely agree with the outrage. I just don't agree with the way some people are showing it.