George Floyd

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
I just have a few random thoughts on all this.

-I wonder how many of the protesters research and vote in local elections. District attorney, county sheriff, police chief/commissioner and other jobs related to the local criminal justice system can usually be tied, directly or indirectly, to local elections. If the system itself is racist and you have either been voting for the same people over and over or not voting at all.....well guess what.

-I keep hearing reporters stress that the peaceful protesters are separate from the rioters and not to judge all of them on the actions of the criminals. I actually agree with that, yet we are being told to believe that the entire police force in this nation is systemically racist based on the actions of just a few. How is that any different?

-For those that still don't understand, this is why I need the right to buy a magazine that can hold more than 9 rounds. This is why I need the right to buy an AR-15. It's still not the main reason for the 2nd amendment, but if I'm protecting my property, family or life from a mob of a dozen or more, and the police are unable to respond, I don't want just a revolver. And if the police are as bad as the protester are saying, then they should NOT be the only ones to have guns. I heard one reporter say these riots have set back the fight for more gun control for a generation, as many people previously on the fence are starting to change their mind a bit. Don't know if that's true or not, we the people do have short memories.
Went to the sporting goods store while picking up some fishing gear. Happened across the magazine aisle just looking if they had any mags I might want. Picked over and cleared out.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I can't possibly vote for Biden unless he surprises me and is able to come up with an incredibly great woman for vice president who doesn't have a heavy load of controversy to carry from her past.
Why does it have to be a woman? Shouldn't it be the best person qualified for the job? Putting a litmus test on it isn't freedom...that's a restriction and says you better make it a so and so racially or sexually...that's not freedom and that's why that party is having issues...they aren't even having free primaries anymore.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Barricade la and nyc at once. They don’t want us, the unwashed masses, coming into their liberal paradises. Nobody in or out.

What gave you that idea?

I'm sure you're welcome to visit or move to either of the two largest cities in the world; There's abundant career opportunities, better weather in Los Angeles of course- access to top notch sporting events, entertainment, concerts, art, food from across the world, wineries, breweries. Los Angeles has a few more sporting attractions if you are into skiing, fishing, surfing or any of that.

My family is from Redondo Beach, but I was born in Tulsa and started school in Owasso. I visit my father and friends and other relatives every two years or so and try to catch a game at BPS when it fits in my schedule.

There's no reason to personally shut yourself off from opportunities. It's unfortunate you feel the need to limit yourself. Keep your head up dude.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
I think you will see a very inspired voter turnout this year in every demographic on both sides. And I think the independent voters and "unique" voters who stayed at home for Hillary, but came out for Obama, will be out again in full force. Maybe not necessarily for Biden, but definitely to vote against Trump. It's gonna be very tight again. It could very easily be decided by a percentage point or one swing state.
If you want serious change in the country there will have to be an impressive, record breaking numbers of votes go to third parties to serve notice upon the Republican and Democrat Parties to either shape up or ship out. Voting for incumbents again only serves notice upon them that they must be doing a good job.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Not true at all on quality, I will give you a example.

My father worked at American airlines in tulsa after retiring from the marine corps. He was a tech crew chief ( one of the highest ranks in the TWU) He asked me to help one of is coworkers. His coworker came to the office and boy was he a piece of work. Long story short, after he finished with me, my boss wanted to say hi. While I went to get his items ready, he was in the waiting room. My boss went there to talk to him. Well he was literally having a conversation with a pop machine. No not a conversation that the machine stole his money. He was asking it how it was doing. I talked to my dad and asked him how this person was a tech crew and taught others how to work on the planes. My fathers answer was " son, he doesn't, he's union. "
So tell me how you get a better product when you have bad employee you cannot fire?

To the second point

https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2015/m...ion-and-nonunion-workers-in-december-2014.htm

You also still have hr staff since non union employees are there and hr also services union and they have still send stuff to the union.
So you would love it if all unions could be abolished. Right? That is mainly your point?

Apr 14, 2017
Earth
What gave you that idea?

I'm sure you're welcome to visit or move to either of the two largest cities in the world; There's abundant career opportunities, better weather in Los Angeles of course- access to top notch sporting events, entertainment, concerts, art, food from across the world, wineries, breweries. Los Angeles has a few more sporting attractions if you are into skiing, fishing, surfing or any of that.

My family is from Redondo Beach, but I was born in Tulsa and started school in Owasso. I visit my father and friends and other relatives every two years or so and try to catch a game at BPS when it fits in my schedule.

There's no reason to personally shut yourself off from opportunities. It's unfortunate you feel the need to limit yourself. Keep your head up dude.
I’ll stay here in flyover country thanks. California is a mess and getting worse. People are fleeing there in droves and voting the same way in Nevada, texas, Arizona, etc. screwing up those states like locusts. You didn’t mention the high cost of living, traffic, homelessness, taxes and regulations. The weather I’ll give you in SoCal.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
I’ll stay here in flyover country thanks. California is a mess and getting worse. People are fleeing there in droves and voting the same way in Nevada, texas, Arizona, etc. screwing up those states like locusts. You didn’t mention the high cost of living, traffic, homelessness, taxes and regulations. The weather I’ll give you in SoCal.
The economy is different here, absolutely - It's weird getting paid close to $100k doing what I was doing for $45k in Tulsa. Traffic is a concern, fortunately we do have fairly good commuter rail and are improving the metrolines. We are a little behind in that. I am a big believer in not crossing area codes, because you are having to negotiate driving through so much density. It's best if you can work and live in the same area code.

There are alot of people leaving California, There are also alot of people moving to California. It's a fairly large state and we have the third largest state size. I believe Texas is bigger by about 50% But I think California still has a larger population. I think population counts can be overrated, but it does indicate how desirable a place is. I believe Oklahoma is 28th with 4 million people. California has 39 million.

I moved here at 27 and realized how complacent I was in my life. Being around other highly skilled people helped me develop in my field. I was pursuing a degree in sports journalism and worked freelance for a year with the OC Register. After that year I had offers from four different newspapers

I do agree about the price of housing being different and somewhat intimidating. Fortunately Southern California real estate is pretty close to a recession proof investment. I purchased a house in Long Beach in 2017, for 335k and was pleased to sell it at $395k last year.

What taxes and regulations about California irritate you the most? Perhaps, you may be misinformed about them. I hate taxes like everything else, but I think it's good to have improved infrastructure and schools open five days a week, even in rural areas.

I do appreciate the quiet when I visit, and I do enjoy being to just go out and drive when I visit; But I think you're opinion of California may be a bit skewed. When was the last time you visited or lived here?

Nov 26, 2006
If you want serious change in the country there will have to be an impressive, record breaking numbers of votes go to third parties to serve notice upon the Republican and Democrat Parties to either shape up or ship out. Voting for incumbents again only serves notice upon them that they must be doing a good job.
I know what you are saying and I agree with the general sentiment. As I have mentioned in other posts today, I would be happy to vote out everyone in both parties AND impose term limits. But for this election I hope all focus (and votes) go to beating Trump. Then in 2024 see where we are at.

Ideally I would like to see the US get rid of the two party system and bring in a multi-party system. We basically have four-five parties already. They're just packed into our two current parties. I feel this is one big reason why there is so much infighting and stalled legislation. But I don't see that happening any time soon.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I've seen all colors. Even Latinos. Most are gang members joining in for the fun of violence, or they actually believe in what Antifa stands for (anarchy)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
WRONG. Antifa stands for Anti-facist.
They are hell bent on destruction and intimidation tactics. The moment there are protests they move to infiltrate and co opt it, or at least create chaos. The places they've been over the last few years, the destroy cars, businesses, and beat people. And they are very organized through Reddit and other online media. You can bury your head in the sand all you want but they aren't gonna try to be what you want them to be. Their name is basically a disinformation to provide them justification for their destruction and beatings. Just label whatever/whoever they want to destroy as representing fascists/Nazis and Voila, instant need to punch Nazis. Even if the person they are beating was protesting or being peaceful, they are now warranted in their own mind to punch that person.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
@HacksawJimDuggan - I don't totally disagree here, but it's closeminded to not understand that California isn't what you think it is...I was born in California and have thought it would be a nice place to retire someday. While the fact that the left has dominated the states politics for a few decades it wasn't always that way and many people with many diverse views still exist especially in Red county California...which btw, is a larger land area than is blue county California. To have this viewpoint isn't very educated on California and what makes it tick. Granted a central swing most definitely NEEDS to happen in that state before they run off all their businesses and people. My hope is that the recent overhanded reactions to the virus by the Governor may help to send the state government more to the center.
1591190160171.png

I lived in county 45 and would love to retire in San Luis Obisbo County or maybe the mountains of So. Cal as I've spent a lot of time there, California is peaceful away from cities like LA and SF bay area...The other parts of the state can be outstanding...especially rural California.

Btw, "flyover" country no longer really exist..no one is flying over.

Mar 11, 2006
They are hell bent on destruction and intimidation tactics. The moment there are protests they move to infiltrate and co opt it, or at least create chaos. The places they've been over the last few years, the destroy cars, businesses, and beat people. And they are very organized through Reddit and other online media. You can bury your head in the sand all you want but they aren't gonna try to be what you want them to be. Their name is basically a disinformation to provide them justification for their destruction and beatings. Just label whatever/whoever they want to destroy as representing fascists/Nazis and Voila, instant need to punch Nazis. Even if the person they are beating was protesting or being peaceful, they are now warranted in their own mind to punch that person.

I noticed @CowboyOrangeFan disagreed with this posts and several others. The above post is not controversial...unless you are not paying attention to the destruction or like some...or okay with the destruction of private property. Or if you are a Joy Reid dolt and believe her about white nationalist being the ones doing the vandalism.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I know what you are saying and I agree with the general sentiment. As I have mentioned in other posts today, I would be happy to vote out everyone in both parties AND impose term limits. But for this election I hope all focus (and votes) go to beating Trump. Then in 2024 see where we are at.

Ideally I would like to see the US get rid of the two party system and bring in a multi-party system. We basically have four-five parties already. They're just packed into our two current parties. I feel this is one big reason why there is so much infighting and stalled legislation. But I don't see that happening any time soon.
Just something to chew on...if you hate both parties then why not vote for the guy who also does...I know the guys a narcisist but he's also not liked by his own party...I happen to like the old party and he doesn't fit it. I'm not sure why we would all want to focus on beating Trump when the alternative is, in my mind anyway, worse for the country both short and long term.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Last night I finally looked up the man who was killed by the police officer...not sure that most know his history...I didn't...NONE Of that excuses ANYTHING the cop did...but one would think it would limit the size of protest and his sainthood if the masses knew the extent of his former behavior and the content of his system at the time of his murder. Like I said, NONE of that excuses anything that happened to him and the cop should have been in jail day one...but it does indicate a sad life, perhaps due to racism or upbringing or just his own bad choices. Sad times, very sad times. God Bless and treat people daily how you want to be treated...treat them as God's Children who he wants relationship with.